Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

McVeigh was worse. Was just a spectator on Betts in the first qtr.
And that says it all, Slatts was no worse than Hardie (worst game in EFC colours) or McVeigh (stick a fork in him), and had 6 kicked on him.

Also confused as to what job Henry must of done last week. Its not like he played on a Dangerfield or similar and took them out of the game.
No, he was just charging around the middle taking out bodies.
I don't think the plan has been to have him sit in a back pocket, losing Dempsey & Hibberd has hurt.

Unfortunately with the injuries we're left with little option.

Hopefully getting enough rope at the minute. Clearly not there and the one single dimension that he does have to his game is average.

If anyone's still genuinely saying that Slattery is at an AFL standard and has good defensive instincts, they need only look at this:

[youtube]7wOQ1xe6gI4[/youtube]

It's just embarrassing. He stuffs up not only once, but twice, has no awareness of Heppell's position, and is completely and utterly outwitted. That should never happen. Got no problem with his effort, but any player worth his salt isn't going to be fooled by that.

Is that the goal where two more of our players didnt land a tackle and were just as guilty?
It was just Heppell whose defensive pressure has been pretty poor all year but we're happy to ignore because he is a first year player.

It was just Heppell whose defensive pressure has been pretty poor all year but we're happy to ignore because he is a first year player.

Happy to forgive a player, yes in his first year who has been exceptional for most of it. Particularly given he spends time in the middle creating play and has a roll in the back line to set up play as well as stop his player.

Not so foregiving on a one trick pony in his 6th or 7th year getting caught ball watching like that.

Betts only kicked 4 goals on Slattery.

One was after a kick out that was turned over. Slattery got caught on the wrong side of the zone and when the ball came back in from the turnover he was caught too far behind Betts. Whether that's Slattery's fault or the way the zoning's done, I'm not sure. But I'd probably pin that one on Slatts.

One was that rubbish snap from a metre out.

One was from that bullet pass from Garlett that nobody had a hope in hell of stopping.

One was Betts getting in a better position and marking it. Beat Slatts.

Now of those goals, two were in the last quarter when the game was done. Why exactly are we hanging Slattery?

If anyone's still genuinely saying that Slattery is at an AFL standard and has good defensive instincts, they need only look at this:

It's just embarrassing. He stuffs up not only once, but twice, has no awareness of Heppell's position, and is completely and utterly outwitted. That should never happen. Got no problem with his effort, but any player worth his salt isn't going to be fooled by that.

This was like watching a back pocket in an under 18's country game who's school mate's have brought him down to learn the game - and even then you'd be telling him to stop going out on the booze the night before and to wake up/switch on.....however Hank has been a full time footballer recieving elite coaching and advice on a full time basis for about 8 or so years now.

justin madden would have turned Slatts inside out on that one...haha...

Unfortunately you're probably right - shocking performance all night, but this contest was embarrassing in the extreeme. I was in the bar in the mcc and (once again) most of the bar roared with laughter as i hung my head in shame.

Later a group of Carlton supporters were chanting "Slattery, Slattery" in a mock voice - embarrassed is an understatement.

Is that the goal where two more of our players didnt land a tackle and were just as guilty?

No it wasn't. If you think Slattery was not responsible for this farcicle goal, then you have no objectivity whatsoever.

Exactly....some people on here seem to be arguing that because Hardingham and Heppell struggled, Hank can be excused for yet another shocker. Truth is Heppell and Hardingham have probably played about 25 games total as an afl defender, and most of them have been good or better - whereas Hank has has had many years at this caper, played about 90 something games, and is in his prime. Terrible comparison.

And the sarcastic argument/accusation/whatever you want to call it that a few have made saying "Hank has a good game last week and it's an abbhoration, yet he has a shocker so he should be dumped" (paraphrasing) need to stop pretending that Hank's "good game" was the norm.....we all know that if a bloke gets a pass mark once every 6 or so games it is unacceptable - to be pointing out the exception rather than the norm once again confirms that you are simply trying to win a long standing argument, rather than simply being honest.

Obviously we're hoping/expecting to improve as a team over the next 40-50 games as a club. Hank currently is at his prime, and even by the most optimistic assessment a fringe or depth player. The more objective ones (imo) rate him much lower than that.

Presuming we are going to improve, Hank will no doubt only get further and further from being in the 22....good on him for getting a truck load of games by trying hard in what is possibly Essendon's worst era of footy, but if we're to improve and consistenty play the standard of footy required to play finals, we simply can't have blokes of his ability clogging spots on the list and expect results.

Betts only kicked 4 goals on Slattery.

One was after a kick out that was turned over. Slattery got caught on the wrong side of the zone and when the ball came back in from the turnover he was caught too far behind Betts. Whether that's Slattery's fault or the way the zoning's done, I'm not sure. But I'd probably pin that one on Slatts.

One was that rubbish snap from a metre out.

One was from that bullet pass from Garlett that nobody had a hope in hell of stopping.

One was Betts getting in a better position and marking it. Beat Slatts.

Now of those goals, two were in the last quarter when the game was done. Why exactly are we hanging Slattery?
Which one of those was where the replay showed Betts giving a blatant hand push into Slattery's back, too?

I'm sick of this. I'm so, so sick of this.

Why I keep pointing out the obvious to a myopic group of supporters is beyond me.

Unfortunately you're probably right - shocking performance all night, but this contest was embarrassing in the extreeme. I was in the bar in the mcc and (once again) most of the bar roared with laughter as i hung my head in shame.

Later a group of Carlton supporters were chanting "Slattery, Slattery" in a mock voice - embarrassed is an understatement.
I'd be embarrassed too if I were you; worrying what a bunch of drunken Carlton supporters think.
No it wasn't. If you think Slattery was not responsible for this farcicle goal, then you have no objectivity whatsoever.
Well it is.

See my post above. I admit Hank lost him at the end by allowing Betts to run and get goal side. He's at fault for that goal, as is Heppell, as is Carlisle.

If you can't see that you have no objectivity whatsoever.

Couldn't of summed it up any better!

cheers for the laugh.

Slattery not AFL quality. Good VFL depth player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which one of those was where the replay showed Betts giving a blatant hand push into Slattery's back, too?

Why I keep pointing out the obvious to a myopic group of supporters is beyond me.
Because too many idiots only watch the ball and not the game.

c'mon Whomb, Essendon lost and it couldn't be pinned to Stanton- who else is the loss going to be blamed on?

c'mon Whomb, Essendon lost and it couldn't be pinned to Stanton- who else is the loss going to be blamed on?

Why are players like stanton, slattery, monfries, dyson, mcveigh, hille rated so highly internally where they would probably find it hard to get a game elsewhere? :eek:

Yeah that's it (just watched it).

Heppell stands and waves his arms.
Carlisle falls to the ground, gets up, holds his arms up and stands still.
Slattery pursues him, stays goal side, loses track of Betts.

But yeah, let's pin that entirely on Hank.

Just watched it

Carlisle could have done better agreed, you cant see where Heppells man went in the video but it seems as though he stopped Betts from passing it to to him,

Slattery on the other hand atleast had to stay in between his man and the goal....instead he overruns Betts twice and ends up defending the same space as heppell....

I cannot understand why some people want to stand up for Slattery like he is their brother!!

What does he provide Essesndon?
Leg speed? No
Foot Skills? No
Decision making? No
Ability to shut a player down? On the odd occasion, but for the most part he is beaten by more clever and creative players.

He can have all the endevour and commitment in the world, but the fact of the matter is that he simply is not up to AFL standard and should be delistd at the end of the year. He is not a Mark Johnson, he is not a Damien Hardwick, he is just out of his depth.

Just watched it

Carlisle could have done better agreed, you cant see where Heppells man went in the video but it seems as though he stopped Betts from passing it to to him,

Slattery on the other hand atleast had to stay in between his man and the goal....instead he overruns Betts twice and ends up defending the same space as heppell....
It's lucky Eddie Betts hasn't got a reputation of a clever goalsneak and has NEVER done anything like that before.

Oh wait...

You're right, they should've played Fletcher, Hocking, Watson, kept Pears on, told NLM he was a weakprick and get back out there...

RAMBLINGS OF A FOOL.

You can't play injured players nobody is arguing that. But it just really exposes how poor the depth is. Would you call it AFL quality depth?

Hmm in terms of needs id put NLM ahead of Dyson, Slattery, Myers and Hille with the exception of Monfries and Stanton.

How Reimers and Davey didnt get a game over Myers, Slattery, Hille, Dyson when we were slow all those weeks is beyond me:thumbsdown:

You call me a fool yet you overate our players:eek: The youth is doing more things for essendon than its established seniors and i find it a joke. I might sound critical but at least im a realist.

I cannot understand why some people want to stand up for Slattery like he is their brother!!

What does he provide Essesndon?
Leg speed? No
Foot Skills? No
Decision making? No
Ability to shut a player down? On the odd occasion, but for the most part he is beaten by more clever and creative players.

He can have all the endevour and commitment in the world, but the fact of the matter is that he simply is not up to AFL standard and should be delistd at the end of the year. He is not a Mark Johnson, he is not a Damien Hardwick, he is just out of his depth.

Great post, Slatterys like a poor quality matthew knights without the buzz words:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back