Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Get over your hate. He will be picked every week while he is fit. Deal with it. If your not happy ring hirdy, bomber, goody, wellman I'm sure they will listen and take your advice. I'm sure of it. In fact how can they ignore such a stat. It's so damning. :eek:

Why is H.Slattery in yours and others (seemingly the coaches) seen as an automatic selection when fit? I really don't get it. There are a number of players continually picked without earning games and I don't like it. Hank is copping the worst of it but the coaches continually play favourites and don't reward good vfl form.

Automatic selections IMO: Watson, Fletcher

The favourites: McVeigh, Welsh, H.Slattery, Ryder, Hocking

The out of favour: Neagle (deservedly), Dyson, Prismall, Myers (had to earn it), Williams (deservedly), Reimers

None of the above criteria: Gumby, Stanton, Monfries, Jetta, Winderlich, Zaharakis, Long, Lonergan, Dempsey, Pears, Melksham, Hurley, Hille, Heppell, Carlisle, Browne, Steinberg, Hooker, Jenkins, Daniher, Davey, Colyer, Hardingham, Silverlock, T.Slattery, Ross, Howlett, Quinn, Lovett-Murray, Hibberd, Bellchambers, Crameri, Davis, Webster

IMO its the bolded players that have let Essendon down more than any other players in my lifetime. They are like the pin-up boys for Essendon's pathetic era.

Small-medium defender rankings:

1. Fletcher - more so plays 3rd tall role so i'll rate him as a medium defender.

2. Heppell - an instant hit off half-back with sublime skills.

3. Hardingham - great defender who makes smart decisions. Knows when to spoil and when to mark etc and doesn't muck around with it ie kicks long etc.

4. Dempsey - great pace and attack from defence and his spoiling is reasonable. Better suited by current structures than when exposed by Knights all out attack.

5. Hibberd - has grunt and pace. Skills not the greatest but he is handy.

6. McVeigh - has played the lockdown role in a backpocket - has better skills than Hank.

7. Myers - better suited in midfield as he lacks pace off the mark. Better suited in a clearance role suiting his raking left foot kick.

8. Hocking - similar to Myers better suited in midfield.

9. Daniher - has exceptional pace off the mark and could be a handy player if he ever gets fit.

10. Dyson - place top ten 2009 B&F in this role. Quicker and more skilful than Hank.

11. T.Slattery - not overly quick but has a good leap but his skills also let him down.

12. H.Slattery - lacks pace which makes stopping a small forward difficult and his skills are poor.

13. Lovett-Murray - has pace but makes poor decisions and turns the ball over a lot.

14. Browne - shows ability but too young and raw for AFL level currently.

15. Davis - not overly quick, looks a VFL player for mine but have only seen a few matches of his.

16. Long - unknown at this stage.

Why is H.Slattery in yours and others (seemingly the coaches) seen as an automatic selection when fit? I really don't get it. There are a number of players continually picked without earning games and I don't like it. Hank is copping the worst of it but the coaches continually play favourites and don't reward good vfl form.

Automatic selections IMO: Watson, Fletcher

The favourites: McVeigh, Welsh, H.Slattery, Ryder, Hocking

The out of favour: Neagle (deservedly), Dyson, Prismall, Myers (had to earn it), Williams (deservedly), Reimers

None of the above criteria: Gumby, Stanton, Monfries, Jetta, Winderlich, Zaharakis, Long, Lonergan, Dempsey, Pears, Melksham, Hurley, Hille, Heppell, Carlisle, Browne, Steinberg, Hooker, Jenkins, Daniher, Davey, Colyer, Hardingham, Silverlock, T.Slattery, Ross, Howlett, Quinn, Lovett-Murray, Hibberd, Bellchambers, Crameri, Davis, Webster

IMO its the bolded players that have let Essendon down more than any other players in my lifetime. They are like the pin-up boys for Essendon's pathetic era.

How did Hocking get into the same group as Slatts and his mates ? Oh thats right you said he was too slow and would never make it.
He is in the auto selection group because he is one of the few players on the list that has any idea when it comes to defensive zones.

As the out of favour list goes Reimers put himself on the list with his "me" atitude and Dyson well like Welsh he is not up to it anyway.

And i do not agree that they do not award good VFL form. There have been a few guys picked on what they have done in the VFL. Maybe the obvious 2 have already had the line drawn through them for next year....

Anyway i agree with Welsh, not in my best 28 and should be given the boot at the end of the year.

I thought the H. Slattery effect was an innate ability to find the opposition with his kicks. I'm not sure he even hit a teammate once during the West Coast match.

On the other hand, he was comparatively decent against Melbourne. Kinda.

He can't be blamed for dismal performances, but this guy's never getting a premiership medal.

How did Hocking get into the same group as Slatts and his mates ? Oh thats right you said he was too slow and would never make it.
He is in the auto selection group because he is one of the few players on the list that has any idea when it comes to defensive zones.

As the out of favour list goes Reimers put himself on the list with his "me" atitude and Dyson well like Welsh he is not up to it anyway.

And i do not agree that they do not award good VFL form. There have been a few guys picked on what they have done in the VFL. Maybe the obvious 2 have already had the line drawn through them for next year....

Anyway i agree with Welsh, not in my best 28 and should be given the boot at the end of the year.

Hocking was too slow for a defenders role as is Myers and is suited to a midfield role. H.Slattery is equally as slow but doesn't have the ball-getting ability and kicking skills of a hocking or myers.

I think its a bit ridiculous for the coaching staff to put a line through dyson and prismall when they have a new structure in place. Surely they deserve some chance to prove themselves? Prismall had one match as a sub before being dumped and has had multiple games in VFL racking up 30+ disposals. Dyson has been reasonable.

Welsh hasn't done a thing for years and is selected without even playing VFL following calf injury! Its selections like this that upset a playing group - when a coach plays favourites. If players are made to earn spots and rewarded for good form then politics doesn't come into it.

I love the fact that people keep saying Henry turns the footy over yet his kicking eff is always better than half the team.

Guess it is the same as the Stanton factor, when you do not rate someone the poor things they do tend to stick in the mind way more than anything good they do. They can have 3 clangers but they are still worse than the guy who has 6 clangers because he is a favourtie so his stuff ups go unoticed.

Hocking was too slow for a defenders role as is Myers and is suited to a midfield role. H.Slattery is equally as slow but doesn't have the ball-getting ability and kicking skills of a hocking or myers.

I think its a bit ridiculous for the coaching staff to put a line through dyson and prismall when they have a new structure in place. Surely they deserve some chance to prove themselves? Prismall had one match as a sub before being dumped and has had multiple games in VFL racking up 30+ disposals. Dyson has been reasonable.

Welsh hasn't done a thing for years and is selected without even playing VFL following calf injury! Its selections like this that upset a playing group - when a coach plays favourites. If players are made to earn spots and rewarded for good form then politics doesn't come into it.

Well Prismall did have plenty of exposure under Bomber and McCarthey.
As for Dyson, come on he was probably stamped last year. He has gone as far as he can go.
As for Hocking and defense he did well at half back. He simply is not the size to play on small forwards or as a KP defender although in saying that he has beaten a few small forwards.

I love the fact that people keep saying Henry turns the footy over yet his kicking eff is always better than half the team.

Guess it is the same as the Stanton factor, when you do not rate someone the poor things they do tend to stick in the mind way more than anything good they do. They can have 3 clangers but they are still worse than the guy who has 6 clangers because he is a favourtie so his stuff ups go unoticed.

We both know that kicking efficiency statistics are misleading. Clearance midfielders will have reduced efficiency due to rushed disposal out of packs etc. Lonergan will for sure have ordinary efficiency but you need to put in context. They really should split efficiency into sub categories - forced and unforced.

Players with the best kicking efficiency are often those coming off half-back with minimal pressure. Your Goddard, Hodge, McLeod types. Thankfully we now appear to have one of those in young Heppell but Slattery is far from a good kick. I agree he's not the worst but certainly no star.

IMO Hank's worst attributes in order are:
1. Pace (when he's in a contest he's ok, he just has trouble getting to the contest due to his lack of pace)
2. Ability to get the ball and read the play
3. Skills

Well Prismall did have plenty of exposure under Bomber and McCarthey.
As for Dyson, come on he was probably stamped last year. He has gone as far as he can go.
As for Hocking and defense he did well at half back. He simply is not the size to play on small forwards or as a KP defender although in saying that he has beaten a few small forwards.

Prismall was representing Geelong in a final when he did his knee. He was a senior regular playing well enough to earn a final under Thompson in a far better team.

Can't see the point in rubber stamping Dyson as you say when he had an injury riddled 2010. Hird obviously didn't rate him but his 2009 season was quite good. He at least deserves an opportunity at some stage if guys like Slattery, Welsh and McVeigh have also gone as far as they can go.

Hocking - liked him as a midfielder under Knights at Bendigo. Didn't think he was suited in defence due to pace issues but since returning to midfield has had a good season in run-with roles. He is a midfielder only for mine and it took a while for them to work this out. Doing the same with Myers.

We both know that kicking efficiency statistics are misleading.

I think the only misleading stats are the ones you cherry picked to suit your argument in the OP.

Just because two things happen together doesn't mean that one has caused the other.

I'm not a Slattery fan either, and he was woeful last week, but this thread is pretty unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, now I get S20's thread. This one is an even odder thread.

I don't rate Slattery, never have, never will, in fact I'm amazed he's played so much AFL football... but to suggest he's some sort of a kibosh? It's certainly a stretch.

Prismall was representing Geelong in a final when he did his knee. He was a senior regular playing well enough to earn a final under Thompson in a far better team.

Can't see the point in rubber stamping Dyson as you say when he had an injury riddled 2010. Hird obviously didn't rate him but his 2009 season was quite good. He at least deserves an opportunity at some stage if guys like Slattery, Welsh and McVeigh have also gone as far as they can go.

Hocking - liked him as a midfielder under Knights at Bendigo. Didn't think he was suited in defence due to pace issues but since returning to midfield has had a good season in run-with roles. He is a midfielder only for mine and it took a while for them to work this out. Doing the same with Myers.

Dyson is probably doing more good as an on-field leader to the young bucks at Bendigo than he would be doing for Essendon.

I've been suprised with how good Hocking is, his work ethic in EVERY game is what we need more of.

Yep. We've looked a different side with him in.

Yes he can at times lock down small forwards. He's not the best at it, but he can. On the flip side, he's a destructuring influence:

Can't hurt going the other way,
Is a very dumb footballer.
uncoordinated footballer gives away free kicks because of his uncoordiation.
Shocking decision making (confusing for team mates)
Slow
Poor kick
poor to average mark
2 - 3 touch player.

There's a minority of Bomber fans that love him. The rest of us and the vast majority of the footy world see him for what he is.... A very ordinary footballer.

This.

Sorry to say it because I like Hank as an honest battler, but that is simply all he is..a battler. His effort is admirable, but honestly guys he is a VFL footballer at best.

The reality is that whilst we have players like this in our team, we are kidding ourselves if we think we will be premiership contenders.

I was watching some highlights of our 99-01 team the other day, and guys like hardwick, barnard, and solomon were the guys playing slattery's role.. They all just loved the contest and getting into the faces of opponents. Slattery just does not have any hard nosed mongrel in him that I think he needs for the position he plays that would partly make up for his lack of skill and ability ala solomon, hardwick or barnard.

I think Hibberd does have this, and he should be replacing slattery permanently in this side. Fork, Slattery is done. We should all move on. I suggest it will result in a happy ending.

Oh, now I get S20's thread. This one is an even odder thread.

I don't rate Slattery, never have, never will, in fact I'm amazed he's played so much AFL football... but to suggest he's some sort of a kibosh? It's certainly a stretch.
Pretty much.
Shit, childish thread.
And as much as you, I, house, and a dozen others have disagreed on this very topic over the years, this ranks as probably the most rank, least thought-through of the HSlatts threads.

Slatts plays until someone pushes him out & keeps him out. He is not great but he does a job.
There is (now) at least some candidates coming through who've been given a taste and will, hopefully, legitimately push him out.
This is a good thing, to have guys earning spots.
Dropping blokes lock stock & gifting games to others is not always a good thing.

Far different situation to last year's list.

bringing up Hank's kicking efficiency stat is about as relevant as the win/loss stats in the OP.

I don't know how many times we need to establish that it can be a very misleading stat which often reflects no more than how adventurous a player is with his decision making - Hank himself understands he has sub standard skills, which is why he rarely even tries to hit up a bloke unless it's the easiest option available.....too bad if there's a marginally difficult kick required to completely open up a foray forward for us, because if there's a bloke 20m sideways to Hank that's what he'll aim at (whereas most afl players are good enough to at least attempt to nail a guy who's 50m away and on the move).

To point to stats and suggest Hank has decent skills is almost a little more than deceptive imo.

Statistics (win/loss ratio) with H.Slattery in team:

2010:

2 wins 11 losses 15.38%

2011:

2 wins 4 losses 33.33%

So in the past two years with H.Slattery in the team we've won 4 matches out of a total of 19.

H.Slattery seems to be a barometer - when he's in they're likely to lose.

Just as a matter of interest - did you produce those dodgy police statistics for Simon last year?

Hang him or roast him slowly over a fire?

simpsons_torch_mob-300x255.jpg

apologies for upsetting fans of this board - i won't bother posting true facts and statistics. its a shame for some as i'm one that attends vfl and some training sessions and have given reports in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back