Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm sure he's conceded more goals with kicking errors in 1 month before?

Ah, the old "Slattery is directly responsible for half of the goals we conceded" routine.

Majorly love the title and OP. Was overjoyed to see this guy finally on the teams sheet with omitted next to his name. Lets hope he remains at Bendigo. Forever

Statistics (win/loss ratio) with H.Slattery in team:

2010:

2 wins 11 losses 15.38%

2011:

2 wins 4 losses 33.33%

So in the past two years with H.Slattery in the team we've won 4 matches out of a total of 19.

H.Slattery seems to be a barometer - when he's in they're likely to lose.

11+4 = 19??

Regardless, when out midfield was losing the contested ball in the middle and we were conceeding the most i50's in the league, it was Slattery's fault. Now that they are winning the ball breaking down in the forward line and can't kick a winning score, suddenly it's still Slattery's fault?

I fail to see the logic?

11+4 = 19??

Regardless, when out midfield was losing the contested ball in the middle and we were conceeding the most i50's in the league, it was Slattery's fault. Now that they are winning the ball breaking down in the forward line and can't kick a winning score, suddenly it's still Slattery's fault?

I fail to see the logic?

HAHA epic fail.. 2+11+2+4 =19. Be good if you read what you're quoting.

It's abit unfair to say one or even two or three "average" players combines to a below-par 22 player effort. Not only for this year but for the future of this club do I believe that H.Slattery provides nothing that any of our other first year players could accomplish. With a fit backline of Hooker, Fletcher, Pears, Myers, Dempsey and Hardingham or Hibberd there is no space for him.

I love the fact that people keep saying Henry turns the footy over yet his kicking eff is always better than half the team.

Guess it is the same as the Stanton factor, when you do not rate someone the poor things they do tend to stick in the mind way more than anything good they do. They can have 3 clangers but they are still worse than the guy who has 6 clangers because he is a favourtie so his stuff ups go unoticed.

So the kick eff stats are so useless that Champion data get paid to produce them for TAC Cup, VFL, Champ games etc so that the recruiting staff from all clubs can use them as a tool :rolleyes:

Of course you have to know where the player plays and often see the game to use the stats at their best but the simple fact is you can not get an effective kick if the ball is turned over !

If the stat was useless then Champion data would not be making a fortune out of producing it.
Stats are stats, any smart person uses them as a tool to in evaluating things along with vision. Anyone who wants to dismiss them is not taking all things into account.

You may want to say how often do we have to say they are misleading, i have to say to that have i ever posted just off stats or ever said reading the stats are the be all and end all ?

Slattery has been no worse than most who have played in the back half. As for the skill comment i dispute that all that many players can spot up targets 50 meters away from defense and hit them regularly. We only have on which is Fletcher and he is a champion.

Just because a lot of people use the stat doesn't mean it isn't significantly flawed - rather than just be another sheep in the flock and say "oh well, everyone else thinks it's fine so it must be", i tend to look at the detail and make up my own mind as to the reasons it works and doesn't work.

And in response to you asking have you ever just posted off stats, see above for the post of yours that i was directly responding to - you clearly stated "I love the fact that people keep saying Henry turns the footy over yet his kicking eff is always better than half the team." .....you didn't elaborate or provide ANYTHING else about Slattery's skills whatsoever, other than to say he has better kicking efficiency that half the side (and therefore implying it must be so).

We've discussed it before and i'll give you your due in that you, like me, understand that care must be taken to ensure there is a balance and that stats are only a bit of a guide when analysing a game or individuals - however on this occasion i was responding to a post in which you seem to use nothing but this stat to back up your point re Hank's ability to kick well.

And to be honest, there's a couple of points you've made in the above post that i will disagree with:

1. "So the kick eff stats are so useless....." - I never said they were useless. They are significantly flawed, particularly in reference to certain player types and therefore certain individuals (more so than team kicking efficiency), but i've never said they have no use whatsoever (which means your point is a moot one).
We've been over it before and it's a long and detailed discussion that probably needs to be in another thread, but make no mistake there are quite a few of the poorer skilled players going around that consistently recieve a better kicking efficency rating than some of the afl's cleaner, more polished performers. The reason for this is that the stat itself is more flawed than most of the people you refer to realise.

And more importantly there are dozens of examples in every game where the kick is recorded as effective which are in the reality of football, ineffective.

It's not a useless stat, but i believe it is possibly the least accurate and most misleading in footy today.

2. You say - "As for the skill comment i dispute that all that many players can spot up targets 50 meters away from defense and hit them regularly." Well, they can....not always, but mostly. And I didn't say hit them regularly, i said they're good enough to attempt it regularly - the difference being if a player has decent, afl standard skills, he will be good enough to regularly back himself to hit the more difficult targets coming out of defense and not butcher it. Half of them may miss by a little bit and be spoiled to the boundry or a contested/nuetral situation, however if your any good the other half (maybe more) will open up play and see attack set up from defense.

Hank on the other hand would find a number of his kicks spray off his boot when attempting such a kick - often when he misses it isn't by a few metres either side (which gives his team mate a good chance to at least nuetralise it), it's a genuine shank/spray turnover goal.

In a nutshell i don't really care what Hank's kicking efficiency stat is, as you and i both know, he has sub standard afl skills.

Did you not watch Boomer have 27 disposal and kick 1.2?

Not only did McVeigh not restrict his opponent he had little to no effect going the other way.

At least Slattery has the ability to restrict his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Harvey really get that much?

I must admit that I scoffed when he was awarded BOG.

Not that I disagree; McVeigh was pathetic.

Rated Harvey as 4th BOG.

And two times he dished the ball off - North lost both opportunities - When he should have kicked the goal.

Harvey must read BF !;)

with hardingham being suspended i'd actually say that H.Slattery should get a game this week. With Hooker also out it probably makes sense to go with experience in a must win game.

B: McVeigh, Pears, H.Slattery
HB: Heppell, Fletcher, Hibberd

I get the impression they're going to go with young Browne but with Heppell already in the back six i'd prefer more bulk in there this week. The other chance is Dyson.

Horses for courses and with the injuries/suspensions H.Slattery is probably the better choice for this particular match.

That is being open minded when it comes to selection.

Coaches gave Harvey third BOG.

Thought that Swallow was about the same level as Watson.

Not sure how much time Slattery would have spent on Harvey ( if he played ) - Harvey had some stints in the midfield.

And two other times I saw him put the blinkers on, going for one of his "Boomer's Specials" runs, only to turn it over both times. ;)

But he rarely turns it over in forward 50.;)

Oh so he's not selfish because he doesn't - according to you - turn it over in the forward line?*

* Despite him turning it over twice in the forward 50 on the weekend.

Turning it over twice in the forward 50 - because he should have kicked the goal - He should have been selfish.

Obviously the coaches didn't mark him too harshly - 3rd best player in the Coaches Award - But then again coaches dont understand the game.

Turning it over twice in the forward 50 - because he should have kicked the goal - He should have been selfish.

Maybe he had the talk of him being selfish in the back of his mind when he passed it off? ;)

Obviously the coaches didn't mark him too harshly - 3rd best player in the Coaches Award - But then again coaches dont understand the game.

What a poor comment. No where has anyone said he is a bad player, just that he is selfish.

Maybe he had the talk of him being selfish in the back of his mind when he passed it off? ;)

What a poor comment. No where has anyone said he is a bad player, just that he is selfish.

I already mentioned earlier in the thread - That Harvey passed the ball off because of Whomb - All power to Whomb.;)

It is not a poor comment - It is a FACT - Coaches highly rated his game - Not sure that I could agree with Petrie being the fourth best player - But we all have different opinions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back