Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but he wasn't better then Rioli, and no good judge or coach if they were able to pick a player for their team, would've taken Palmer ahead of Rioli after the end of the 2008 home and away season.
Is it the who’s going to be the best player award or is it judged on the season that just occurred?

Is it the who’s going to be the best player award or is it judged on the season that just occurred?

Rioli was better and more important by every measure except if only looking at stats on a page.

Which describes his entire career. His forward pressure created errors and turnovers without generating personal stats.

Rioli was better and more important by every measure except if only looking at stats on a page.

Which describes his entire career. His forward pressure created errors and turnovers without generating personal stats.
Ha, better and more important by every measure except for stats. Do you tell your boss that during performance reviews?

I agree that Cyril was a better player but think Rhys Palmer deserved his Rising star award. He kicked 10 goals from midfield with 2 less games vs Cyril's 20.

I'm saying Rioli had a better h&a season than Palmer in 2008. I'm guessing you didn't see Rioli much other than a handful of games.
Yes, just as you probably only saw a handful of Palmers games. I was just responding to the comment that every single "good" judge or coach would have picked Cyril over Palmer after 1 season. It's easy in hindsight now but I recon it would haven't been a lay down at the end of the H/A season before the finals. By labeling them "good" it also throws shade as everyone is a fantastic judge after the fact.

If Palmer doesn't do his knee early in his 2nd year, who know's what he becomes.

Ha, better and more important by every measure except for stats. Do you tell your boss that during performance reviews?

I agree that Cyril was a better player but think Rhys Palmer deserved his Rising star award. He kicked 10 goals from midfield with 2 less games vs Cyril's 20.

I wonder how many non Freo / Hawk supporters are going for Palmer. Or who even remember anything about him.

It was a terrible decision.

I wonder how many non Freo / Hawk supporters are going for Palmer. Or who even remember anything about him.

It was a terrible decision.

No it wasn't, Palmer had a great debut season.

People seemingly hold how the rest of his career panned out against him when discussing the RS.

No it wasn't, Palmer had a great debut season.

People seemingly hold how the rest of his career panned out against him when discussing the RS.
Palmer's first season in 2008 was definitely rising star worthy (though as a Hawks fan I obviously preferred Cyril).

Palmer did an ACL early in 2009 and the knee reconstruction kept him out the rest of that year.

Then after he finally returned in 2010, he shattered teammate Barlow's leg - he never really attacked contests the same after that.

Want to compare highlights reel?

Had to split it into 2 separate posts it was so good:

The 22 Under 22 list contains players who are 23... so when its the AFL pretty much anything is possible.

No it doesn’t,

iirc, criteria is you cannot turn 23 before grand final day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back