Here we go again: Captain for next year???

Who should get the gig??

• Fraser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O'Brien

• Lockyer

• Cloke

• Pendlebury

• Maxwell

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles or Swan for mine.

Maxwell is not good enough or consistant enough player to be a captain so lets nip that in the bud right now. He hits his form in rnd 18 and that is what people remember but the 18 before he was average to bad and lucky not to be dropped at some points, he had a geatr finals and games pre finals but as far as captain no thnx.

swan doesnt want a leadership role if you knew anything about him.

and fraser 2nd to scott burns so josh will be captain i dont think he should be after the year his had but thats the hand we where dealt

It was just over 12 months ago that Josh Fraser stood down from the leadership group... i.e:- didnt want a leadership role! Now he's the front runner!

Swan is the best man for the job.

So there is me, Figjam, Swanny36 and possibly smiddazz now that is a bandwagon.

Also swan is more than just one of our best players, he has often spoken to the media and answered the tough questions like the didak shaw and cousins ones and is constantly busting his nut on field does what aleader should do

Chuck me in there as well Optimaz.

I hate to say it but from the outside there is no one that jumps out as a great leader, on and off the field. Josh is too lack luster on the field, heath well say no more, Swany mmmm maybe, Pendles I don't see it in him as a supporter on the field he dosen't exude leadership. Pebbles if fit would be my pick, tarks possible but as I said no one stands out as N.O. 1

It was just over 12 months ago that Josh Fraser stood down from the leadership group... i.e:- didnt want a leadership role! Now he's the front runner!

Swan is the best man for the job.

josh stpped down in the leader ship group because he was sick of all the meetings the leadership group had to attend. he said the other boys in the group where just itching to get out on the track and train but they couldnt say anything. he he quite the leadership group and now they have less meetings.

What do you think the chances are of Heath Shaw becoming Collingwood captain one day?
Not necessarily next year.

BTW my vote was for Pendles, but I'm confident they'll give it to Josh.

I would like to see Maxwell get it.
The repect this guy has around the club is second to none, rarely beaten and will always give his all for the 44 players on the list.
People also seem to forget that in the last 2 years, he's been by far and away the best player in the finals for us, thats what footy's about, playing finals.

Swan for mine has too much on his plate, he's a ball winner who seems to go fine without being called on to lead the club.

Pendles is there abouts, but doesn't do enough week in week out and is more than classy type wh'll be better without it.

Can't give it to Fraser, lacks intensity most of the time.
BIG NO TO Rocca,
Lockyer isn't playing well enough.

COLLINGWOOD captain Scott Burns will announce his retirement from football today.
Burns, who confirmed his decision with coach Michael Malthouse last Friday, will join Shane Wakelin, Ryan Lonie and Brodie Holland in ending his playing days.
Former first-round draft pick Chris Egan and Sam Iles were told last week they would not be kept on the list next year and will be traded or delisted.
The club is likely to have four or five picks in the draft as midfielder Sharrod Wellingham will be promoted to the senior list, as, possibly, will impressive small forward Brent McCaffer.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/collingwood-captain-retires/2008/09/21/1221935450949.html

6 off but with Welly Caff Reed and Cuz to come on the numbers don't add up.. would only leave picks 1 and 2 in the National draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COLLINGWOOD captain Scott Burns will announce his retirement from football today.
Burns, who confirmed his decision with coach Michael Malthouse last Friday, will join Shane Wakelin, Ryan Lonie and Brodie Holland in ending his playing days.
Former first-round draft pick Chris Egan and Sam Iles were told last week they would not be kept on the list next year and will be traded or delisted.
The club is likely to have four or five picks in the draft as midfielder Sharrod Wellingham will be promoted to the senior list, as, possibly, will impressive small forward Brent McCaffer.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/collingwood-captain-retires/2008/09/21/1221935450949.html

6 off but with Welly Caff Reed and Cuz to come on the numbers don't add up.. would only leave picks 1 and 2 in the National draft

There's still trade week to consider, we could open up list spots through that. Also remembering that Johnson and R.Shaw are on shakey ground.

Cook, Stanley, Toovey aren't out of the woods yet either. I would put money on at least one of them going.

id like to see big anth as our next captain.. doubt it would happen though...
cloke, pendles and maxwell imo are leadership material.. but still not ready.. well, maybe maxwell is....

HOW ABOUT BEN COUSINS as captain for a year or two????? surely will command massive respect from the boys....

Dane Swan and im starting up a band wagon.

One of if not our best player, consistent, tough, bleeds black and white, troubled past well and truly behind him and is always in the trenches fighting when teh chips are down eg

both carlton games, the freo game, the saints final, the two goals on half time against adelaide etc

So my vote is for swanny, pendles cloke and maxwell as his vcs

Put me on the wagon thanks :thumbsu:

Now we have a bandwagon.

once i get this assignment done ill create a swany for captain member list, there seems to be a few of us.

At the risk of being placed in the stocks and having rotten vegetables thrown at me, I vote for Maxwell. If Swan was seen as a realistic candidate, I would vote for him. Of those on the list, Maxwell is the only player who has leadership ability and has a bit of grunt to his game. He may be used more in midfield roles in years to come and be in the middle of the action. In any case, he has shown the ability to rise to a challenge. He played well with a fractured hand in both finals (was better than most in the second) after being criticised in the media for his lack of ability about 4 weeks earlier. At 25, he is the only mid-age range player remotely qualified to be captain. If Swan gets the captaincy, Maxwell should be deputy.

Lockyer is lucky to have a place in the team. Fraser is not capable of setting a physical example. Cloke has too many poor games. For Pendlebury, see Fraser. O'Brien is a good player but I know little about his captaincy potential.

So for the 1st 18 rounds we will have a captain on form (if the last 2 years are anything to go off) who shouldn't be in our 22?
Maxwell 2 years straight now has struggled through 3/4 of the season then played well in the last few rounds and finals.
No thnx, Swan or Pendles.

My pick is Travis Cloke, but there's a little debate that he may not be ready for the role due to his age. In that case, we should choose a veteran again. Rocca should get the nod. He's capable of leading the side with his presence, but he needs to get fit. Dane Swan is a roughie.

Seriously, of the others that are a chance, I can't see any of them being able to lead the side next year. Pendlebury is still a year or two away from staking his claims. Harry O and Maxwell are good leaders in their own right but they are not captain material.

Those that say no to Pendles are ageist!

I just don't see a better candidate than him. I don't want another short term captain - we had SSB for one year to give Pendles some time to develop. He is ready now to become a 10 year captain.

And the only other possibility in my mind is Maxwell. Fraser should not be given it and Swan is not even in the leadership group and never has and never will. Love Swanny but he will never be captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go again: Captain for next year???

Back