Here we go again: Captain for next year???

Who should get the gig??

• Fraser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O'Brien

• Lockyer

• Cloke

• Pendlebury

• Maxwell

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a hard decision. I think it would be great for one of the younger guys to be given the role for the long-term, so I'd lean towards either Cloke or Pendlebury. Would be happy with Swan also, I just don't see it happening but I may be wrong!

I think it will most likely be Fraser. And I'm not against that. It disappoints me to read that so many people are anti-Josh though. He's an impressive guy and the players see him as a leader. Swanny said last year that Josh was the captain he wanted.

I'm being a fence-sitter, but I trust the club will make the right choice and to me they are all good candidates.:thumbsu:

And yeah... let's hope it happens soon so we don't have to speculate all summer again.

Re: 2009 Captaincy Candidates

This question needs to be sorted out asap. Unless we agree on a strong captain and leadership group, we face the potential disaster of another Shaw/Didak like incident in 2009.

I had a long discussion at a charity event with a senior member of another club's leadership group, who I believe quite rightly pointed out, that leaving the decision too long, doesn't give the leadership group enough time to enforce the expected behaviour message with the player group as a whole.

He said he couldn't imagine a Shaw/Didak type incident occurring when Bucks was captain.

Scott Pendlebury

JULY 4TH 2007

Is Pendles the best young player ( under 20 ) we have seen at Collingwood since Paul Williams burst on the scene as a gun in 1991?
Despite my ''newbie'' status, I have followed the Pies since 1976 ( bad start ) and I cannot recall any other youngster that i've been more impressed with.
At 3/4 time when he attacked Tarrant, well that just topped off my opinion of him. I thought Heater was a shoe in to be our next long term captain, ( allowing for Jimmy to lead for a few years ) but now I think we have another brilliant option. :thumbsu:

Thoughts???

Hopefully i'm proven correct, although I was hoping at the time he'd have a few more years to ease into the role.
I still think Maxwell will get it before Pendles takes over.

P.S. I hope it is not arrogant to quote yourself. :)

Maxwell has leadership written all over him. So i think he should be the next captain!.

Pendlebury and Swan as his vice captains. After Maxwell it should be Pendlebury tho.:thumbsu:

Would like to see Pendles and Cloke develop to their full potential before they are given the captaincy, although I wouldn't mind if Pendles got it. Have to say that Swan looks the best option at the moment.

I think Maxwell really made huge steps in the last 3rd of 2008, and should be highly considered for the top job.
Swan is a no-brainer, has all the attributes of a leader...but does he want to do it?? That is what matters most.
Pendlebury...give him time to get his own game up to the A grade we know he will be before to long, then captaincy for sure.
Fraser, Lockyer...not sure whether they will be there beyond '09/'10...and we really need someone in the job for the next 5 years, not a revolving door on our captaincy!

Id love to give it to Swanny after all that though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lockyer gets the captaincy on top of an ordinary year and finals series, we will be the laughing stock of the AFL.
And since when did Collingwood ever give a sh*t about what the other teams think? :p

Dane Swan has never even been thrown up as a possibility in the leadership group which makes me wonder if he wants it, or the club want him to have it.

I think Fraser has done OK when he has had the role on different match days. I know his stepping back from the leadership group a couple of years ago has made people wonder, but I would say it's down to him or Pendles.

I would worry about the pressure on Pendles if he got it next year. Fraser can always hand it to Pendles in 2-3 years when he should be hitting his peak.

I would honestly go with Fraser. Best option for the present as we sis 12 months ago with Burnsy.

Last night's insipid performance marked the end of my interest in season 2008.

I thank you all for your continued support and interaction throughout the season and look forward to catching up again bright and early next year.

Best of luck to those supporters who's teams are still in the running.

Love, hugs and kisses.
Zeke

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493781

Did In I sleep through Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec 2008 and it's 2009 already?

If Lockyer gets the captaincy on top of an ordinary year and finals series, we will be the laughing stock of the AFL.

Like hell. He's a friggin trooper and has the capacity to do all the things on and off field to hold a team together.

To put it another way, Essendon, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle, Brisbane, Sydney, Carlton have absolute stars as captains and underperformed this year (and many for quite some years). Richmond has a spud. Geelong has an above-average defender. Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs have reasonably good players.

So the perception of a 'star' being our captain is entirely worthless (forgetting Bucks, obviously!). Our captain is someone who can share the limelight, bring the lads together and switch them on.

IMO that person is likely to be Tarks (very senior, respected for his disclipline and hardness at the contest), Maxwell (smart, respected, committed) or Fraser (senior).

Pendlebury is _so_ close you'd have to think our next choice of captain would be for a year or two only, so it's not like he's being forgotten here. It would be unfair of him to shoulder the burden of maturing his own game and taking responsibility for the team on-field when he's still learning his craft.

And it's really for Dane Swan to put his hand up for selection, which he hasn't seemed (from the outside looking in) to have done yet.

So my choice is Vote #1 Tarks, with Maxwell, Fraser and Harry O as VCs.

I think Maxwell really made huge steps in the last 3rd of 2008, and should be highly considered for the top job.
Swan is a no-brainer, has all the attributes of a leader...but does he want to do it?? That is what matters most.
Pendlebury...give him time to get his own game up to the A grade we know he will be before to long, then captaincy for sure.
Fraser, Lockyer...not sure whether they will be there beyond '09/'10...and we really need someone in the job for the next 5 years, not a revolving door on our captaincy!

Id love to give it to Swanny after all that though!

Contradicting yourself there...no chance Maxy is a 5 year option. On form, shouldn't have been in our 22 for a large part of this year. Hard to see what value he'll add if Nate, Jack, Harry, Reid and co continue to develop as expected. Far from a walk up starter next year, let alone over the next 5.

Like hell. He's a friggin trooper and has the capacity to do all the things on and off field to hold a team together.

To put it another way, Essendon, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle, Brisbane, Sydney, Carlton have absolute stars as captains and underperformed this year (and many for quite some years). Richmond has a spud. Geelong has an above-average defender. Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs have reasonably good players.

So the perception of a 'star' being our captain is entirely worthless (forgetting Bucks, obviously!). Our captain is someone who can share the limelight, bring the lads together and switch them on.

IMO that person is likely to be Tarks (very senior, respected for his disclipline and hardness at the contest), Maxwell (smart, respected, committed) or Fraser (senior).

Pendlebury is _so_ close you'd have to think our next choice of captain would be for a year or two only, so it's not like he's being forgotten here. It would be unfair of him to shoulder the burden of maturing his own game and taking responsibility for the team on-field when he's still learning his craft.

And it's really for Dane Swan to put his hand up for selection, which he hasn't seemed (from the outside looking in) to have done yet.

So my choice is Vote #1 Tarks, with Maxwell, Fraser and Harry O as VCs.

Doesn't need to be an out an out star, does need to be in our best 22. Should rule both out.

Last year I was voting for Maxwell, and I think he's probably had a slightly worse year this year (and probably become even more aggressive) but having said that, out of the most likely candidates for the job, I'll vote for Maxwell again. He bleeds black and white, makes the opposition earn the ball, and is constantly in the media so we know he can handle that part of the role.

Swanny is my favourite player however, and if I thought he would be considered, I'd change my vote to him... but as others have said he's not even in the leadership group so I think that'd be fairly unlikely. I'm happy with him continuing his great football and leaving others to take up the leadership roles.

It'll be Fraser, no doubt. Pendelbury doesn't need it now, he's still establishing his own game and working on his own consistency. If Fraser is fit, you'll see a super year from him if made captain, the man is at his best when the pressure is at it's highest.

I hate to say it but from the outside there is no one that jumps out as a great leader, on and off the field. Josh is too lack luster on the field, heath well say no more, Swany mmmm maybe, Pendles I don't see it in him as a supporter on the field he dosen't exude leadership. Pebbles if fit would be my pick, tarks possible but as I said no one stands out as N.O. 1
I totally agree. Unfortunately we have now reached a point that we do not have a player who can be idenfied as an inspirational leader both off and especially on the the ground. None of the blokes listed in that poll really cut it. I mean where is the tough, extroverted, skillful, and inspirational player who can change a game at Collingwood? If everybody on this site are really honest there is no such candidate. I mean if Josh Fraser is the best that we can come up with well it just demonstrates how short we are in terms of potential leaders. I measn has Fraser ever actually hurt anybody on the field? Has he ever taken a game by the scruff of the neck and changed the course of it? I think not. Compare our list to Hawthorn of Geelong where there are at least 3 or 4 standout candidates at both clubs; namely Mitchell, Hodge, and Lewis at Hawthorn; and Harley, Ablett, Bartel, and Selwod at Geelong.

Maxwell is not a good enough player to be captain. Harry O'Brien is still learning the game. Cloke needs to concentrate upon becoming a consistent forward and stop chasing kicks down near the wing. Pendlebury is not tough enough yet and Lockyer is just a good average player at best, whose form tapered off towards the end of the season. Finally 2 players who could have been captaincy material have clearly ended their chances with their nocturnal explots before the second St Kilda game, namely Didak and Heath Shaw. In conclusion I reckon that Dane Swan would have to be just about the best option right here and now. However I will put up one player from left-field who might thrive on the challenge and that is Paul Medhurst. Why? Because he appears to love playing for Collingwood and is a bloke who can change a game.

Where are the Des Tuddenham; Wayne Richardson; Max Richardson; Ray Shaw; Mark Williams; Tony Shaw; Gavin Brown; Nathan Buckley; or Scott Burns counterparts on our list right now? I simply cannot see any. This is a big problem!

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go again: Captain for next year???

Back