Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

NICNATNUI

Senior List
May 10, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Would Hawthorn have their three-peat if their grand finals weren't played at their home ground????

There already is a thread about the grand final being at a neutral venue, or who is better Brisbane, geelong, hawthorn etc, however what about this....

Hawthorns three grand final wins have come against interstate teams who have had to play on a pitch which has different dimensions to their own, a stadium where they had only played minimal times during the year, and not to mention the significant crowd advantage and influence the hawks have.

Lets look at 2013 grand final. Hawks win by 15 points. Played against a team that had barely played a game at the MCG all year, and traveled from Perth, where they played over 50% of their games on a pitch with much smaller dimensions.

2014 Grand final. Hawks win by 63 points. Annihilation, and you'd have to be stupid to say that the MCG is a 10 goal advantage for the hawks, but had the game been played in Sydney with a majority of supporters being Sydney supporters would it had been Sydney who crumbled under pressure early on, and then were forced to chase the game, or would it potentially been the Hawks who crumbled under the pressure of playing on a foreign ground, with no home crowd support??

2015 Grand Final. Hawks win by 46 points. No excuses for the Eagles here but an embarrassment really. Many fumbles, easy mistakes, made Hawthorn look like they couldn't do no wrong. However, just 3 weeks back at the Eagles home ground we saw the complete opposite occur?? Is it just a coincidence the Hawks had a bad game 3 three weeks ago, and three weeks later the Eagles just happen to have a bad game?? Or could it be similar reasons to 2014. Early on pressure of a grand final, playing on a ground which they are not used to, infront of an intimidating home crowd. Meanwhile the hawks had the advantage of playing on their home ground, infront of their home crowd, and were able to settle quicker, and hence get out to a marginal advantage and force their opponents to try and chase for the rest of the game??

Firsly before i get criticized like i said the game could have been played at Pattersons and the way the eagles played, and the way the hawks played their wouldnt have been much difference, but for all those saying Hawthorn is the greatest team of all, bar their 2013 season, they haven't been the best team throughout the home and away seasons of 2014, and 2015 yet were fortunate enough to play the grand final on their home ground, in front of their home crowd.

Had all three of these three finals been played in Perth, and Sydney would the hawks still be 3-0?

probably not but it doesn't take anything away from their achievements. As it is, what it is.
Agree, however, these are the little things to look at when asking if their the best team of the generation. Brisbane played their three grand finals on a foreign ground, in which their opponents had the home ground advantage. i feel thats a lot more impressive than what hawthorn has done.

Would Hawthorn have their three-peat if their grand finals weren't played at their home ground????

There already is a thread about the grand final being at a neutral venue, or who is better Brisbane, geelong, hawthorn etc, however what about this....

Hawthorns three grand final wins have come against interstate teams who have had to play on a pitch which has different dimensions to their own, a stadium where they had only played minimal times during the year, and not to mention the significant crowd advantage and influence the hawks have.

Lets look at 2013 grand final. Hawks win by 15 points. Played against a team that had barely played a game at the MCG all year, and traveled from Perth, where they played over 50% of their games on a pitch with much smaller dimensions.

2014 Grand final. Hawks win by 63 points. Annihilation, and you'd have to be stupid to say that the MCG is a 10 goal advantage for the hawks, but had the game been played in Sydney with a majority of supporters being Sydney supporters would it had been Sydney who crumbled under pressure early on, and then were forced to chase the game, or would it potentially been the Hawks who crumbled under the pressure of playing on a foreign ground, with no home crowd support??

2015 Grand Final. Hawks win by 46 points. No excuses for the Eagles here but an embarrassment really. Many fumbles, easy mistakes, made Hawthorn look like they couldn't do no wrong. However, just 3 weeks back at the Eagles home ground we saw the complete opposite occur?? Is it just a coincidence the Hawks had a bad game 3 three weeks ago, and three weeks later the Eagles just happen to have a bad game?? Or could it be similar reasons to 2014. Early on pressure of a grand final, playing on a ground which they are not used to, infront of an intimidating home crowd. Meanwhile the hawks had the advantage of playing on their home ground, infront of their home crowd, and were able to settle quicker, and hence get out to a marginal advantage and force their opponents to try and chase for the rest of the game??

Firsly before i get criticized like i said the game could have been played at Pattersons and the way the eagles played, and the way the hawks played their wouldnt have been much difference, but for all those saying Hawthorn is the greatest team of all, bar their 2013 season, they haven't been the best team throughout the home and away seasons of 2014, and 2015 yet were fortunate enough to play the grand final on their home ground, in front of their home crowd.

Had all three of these three finals been played in Perth, and Sydney would the hawks still be 3-0?

Many posters would have you believe that our home ground is in Tassie and mcg is a neutral venue :p

In all seriousness, your argument is void - the grand final has always been played at the mcg (except for 1991 which I'm sure you know about)..

Interstate sides have not had an issue winning premierships at the MCG before.. You can't hold it against the Hawks for being too good :thumbsu:

Many posters would have you believe that our home ground is in Tassie and mcg is a neutral venue :p

In all seriousness, your argument is void - the grand final has always been played at the mcg (except for 1991 which I'm sure you know about)..

Interstate sides have not had an issue winning premierships at the MCG before.. You can't hold it against the Hawks for being too good :thumbsu:

No disagreements, one of the best teams ive ever seen, kicking skills the best ive seen. However, its no secret they had gone into all three grand finals with an advantage against their opponents, meanwhile teams like brisbane didn't have that.

I'll give WCE fans credit, even after their GF loss they're still pumping out plenty of new threads.
funny how you dockers fans love whats happened. I actually credit your team for getting within 3 goals in the 2013 final, a massive achievenemt given the home ground advantage im talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

funny how you dockers fans love whats happened. I actually credit your team for getting within 3 goals in the 2013 final, a massive achievenemt given the home ground advantage im talking about.
Hawthorn finished on top of the ladder in 2013.

It is a mute argument. But In my eyes it is what makes Brisbanes achievement greater than hawthorns.

If hawthorn win four there will be no comparison

Home grounds hardly exist in the AFL. I don't think it will in most people's lifetime. The fact they tried, and succeeded to turn a state league into a national league means huge compromises. No home ground atmosphere at all, at least for Victorians apart from Geelong. And could take maybe 100 years of development for each team to have a home. And even then the GF might be always in VIC.

Last edited:
if your aunty had a penis and testicles could she still be your aunty though? eh? what is an aunty really? think about that one for a while.

LOL....Still, you have to give the o/p points for fashion sense & style....I mean, that matching eye-brow, gapped-tooth & tash ensemble is a sure-fire winner among the Perth taxi-set.:thumbsu:

Who said I loved what's happened?

So we want Geelong getting GFs at Simonds in future? The MCG is like Wembley, we all know where the final will be, it's the best ground.

If we had a fairer fixture I could maybe see your point, but the fact is some clubs may get lucky with an easier fixture and finish on top and second may have had to play twice the other top 8 teams.

LOL....Still, you have to give the o/p points for fashion sense & style....I mean, that matching eye-brow, gapped-tooth & tash ensemble is a sure-fire winner among the Perth taxi-set.:thumbsu:

yes, a tooth gap big enough for his 'aunty' to drive something through.

What is this no foreign support bullshit? For the Grand Final, the AFL allocates the same amount of tickets to members from both clubs, with the majority of tickets going to the neutral MCC/AFL members and lots of corporate boxes/sections. There is a home state advantage, sure, but for all intents and purposes, the Grand Final is in a neutral atmosphere. Get over it. The Grand Final is the biggest game of the year, and should be played at the best ground, which is and always will be the MCG, just as it has been since 1897.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back