tonydean

Cancelled
May 10, 2011
Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok, just want your opinions here.

Here's the scenario, hypothetically.

Dylan Addison goes out this week for Veszpremi.
Veszpremi plays well this week against Geelong. Does Addison come back in the week later? In the place of who? Vesz, maybe Austin?
Interesting one this ain't it? Just want your thoughts guys. I know a lot don't rate Addison on here, and I know he's played pretty much as a back up backman the last few years when we've had injuries. I also know that he fits in Macca's plan, 'cause he goes in hard. I for one think he does enough to stay in the team's structure atm. What do you all think?

Veszpremi is first 22 based on his past couple of games.

Keep him there and hope he consolidates it.

Room for both as there was before last week. Play different roles. Our best defense is probably as follows.

Morris Lake Gilbee

Murphy Williams Hargrave

We only have 3 of those available at the moment.

Wood is next in line on a flank, then comes either Howard, Addison or Veszpremi.

Howard played well for Willi, but may need another run, So Veszpremi comes in this week, but he would have anyway probably for Smith or Skinner.

Until we have Morris, Wood and Gilbee back, Addison has a spot.

As much as I'd hate to say it, Gilbee is not in our starting back 6 anymore. I think either Wood or Veszpremi is preferred in that spot now. I agree Austin and Addison play different roles though.

Our best defense is probably as follows.

Morris Lake Gilbee

Murphy Williams Hargrave

That post is so, like, 2010. If true, it's a worry for us to be in our ladder position and have 5 of our best back 6 around the 30 year old mark. I would hope that by year's end we have replaced Gilbee and Hargrave. They might perform better than the young guys now, but only because they've got 200 games experience. Gotta bring the young talent through and give it a chance. I remember Matthew Croft suing us (successfully) because he couldn't get a game in his last season, despite being a better full back than anyone else on the list at the time. However, we put the time and the games into a young man called Brian Harris, and despite the short term pain that panned out pretty well.

Addison has a spot in the team until the guys challenging for similar roles (Ves, Howard etc) show that they can do all the McCartney non-negotiables better than Addison (and he does them extremely well). Then they will get promoted ahead of him based on skill and pace. In some ways, Addison is great to have on the list at the moment, because he is setting that standard for the young guys.

Yeah, Croft was a bit stiff. Had a great last game where he tore Norf apart kicking 5 goals or something at FF! I didn't know he sued the club though, interesting one there, thanks for the info mate.

I would drop Hargrave. He's the one who is expendable and doesn't put his body on the line.

Just look at his tackle count compared to Addison.

I would keep Hargrave in, when fit, for the rest of 2012. TBH, I think we need his experience, especially in the absence of Morris, and Williams.

However, at year's end, he might only be a 50/50 chance of being retained...

Ok, just want your opinions here.

Here's the scenario, hypothetically.

Dylan Addison goes out this week for Veszpremi.
Veszpremi plays well this week against Geelong. Does Addison come back in the week later? In the place of who? Vesz, maybe Austin?
Interesting one this ain't it? Just want your thoughts guys. I know a lot don't rate Addison on here, and I know he's played pretty much as a back up backman the last few years when we've had injuries. I also know that he fits in Macca's plan, 'cause he goes in hard. I for one think he does enough to stay in the team's structure atm. What do you all think?

On form this season Dylan A. is a lock in the back 6 at present. To keep him out Vez would just about need to be best on ground. I am not saying DA has been our best backman, but he has been close to our most consistent.
As to long term, he will need to continue the improvement he has shown this season, as the young kids develop. But for now he is certainly on the right track.

I would drop Hargrave. He's the one who is expendable and doesn't put his body on the line.

Just look at his tackle count compared to Addison.

A part of me just died reading this......:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That post is so, like, 2010. If true, it's a worry for us to be in our ladder position and have 5 of our best back 6 around the 30 year old mark. I would hope that by year's end we have replaced Gilbee and Hargrave. They might perform better than the young guys now, but only because they've got 200 games experience. Gotta bring the young talent through and give it a chance. I remember Matthew Croft suing us (successfully) because he couldn't get a game in his last season, despite being a better full back than anyone else on the list at the time. However, we put the time and the games into a young man called Brian Harris, and despite the short term pain that panned out pretty well.

Addison has a spot in the team until the guys challenging for similar roles (Ves, Howard etc) show that they can do all the McCartney non-negotiables better than Addison (and he does them extremely well). Then they will get promoted ahead of him based on skill and pace. In some ways, Addison is great to have on the list at the moment, because he is setting that standard for the young guys.

understand your point about the age of some of the defenders, but my point is about best line up, not what the future holds. By years end who knows. I'm talking about now.

Gilbee if fit and in form is still better than Veszpremi, Howard, Wood and Addison. He's not not fit, he may never get back to that level. But if he does then as we speak he's ahead of those guys. So it's best case scenario.

Hargrave has been really good in my opinion this year. I hope he can play another year.

As a result of Gilbee and Morris not being fit and Tommy for the KP defenders we have got to see what Veszpremi can do. And he has shown some good signs. So I think we have clutch of players who can replace Gilbee and Hargrave when the time comes. Addison is a brave and committed player, Wood is just breathtaking when he's playing well. Veszpremi is learning, but has the weapons, while Howard is elite by foot. Addison is lower on the pecking order because he's the worst of them all by foot and does not add any real offense, but agree he sets a standard for how hard and brave you need to be.

So yes, our best is still the class of 2010. But we do have some handy replacements pushing hard. I will add that having watched Talia again on the weekend, that he should become a very nice KP defender in a couple of years.

Gilbee if fit and in form is still better than Veszpremi, Howard, Wood and Addison. He's not not fit, he may never get back to that level. But if he does then as we speak he's ahead of those guys. So it's best case scenario.

Agree totally. It's all up to Lindsay now. A lot of people wrote off Lake on the back of last year too and he is absolutely flying now that his body is right. Maybe it's a case of holding too long. But I still think he can give us that crucial link between defence and midfield whether running or precision kicking.

But back to the O.P, based on this year then Addison has been a very good stopper thus far. The knock has always been on his disposal, but besides a few very poor decisions against Pies he's been solid. Certainly seems to be kicking within his ability for the most part and hitting targets in the area you can least afford mistakes.

If player X (who has a high disposal efficiency) goes out injured and is replaced by player Y, it is up to player X to prove that he has overcome his injury.

If player Y performs well while player X is injured, then the coach needs to determine the best possible outcome for the benefit of the team as a whole

Short story, every player should be made to earn their spot on return.

If player X (who has a high disposal efficiency) goes out injured and is replaced by player Y, it is up to player X to prove that he has overcome his injury.

If player Y performs well while player X is injured, then the coach needs to determine the best possible outcome for the benefit of the team as a whole

Short story, every player should be made to earn their spot on return.

On this basis anyone returning form injury must play with Williamstown first. No other way to earn their spot.

You could argue that Addison has earned an instant recall through his performances so far this season.

nfi-logo.jpg
nfi.gif

On this basis anyone returning form injury must play with Williamstown first. No other way to earn their spot.

You could argue that Addison has earned an instant recall through his performances so far this season.

its a difficult one because it really depends on the extent of the injury. If you're talking about soft tissue damage which relates to soreness, as long as that player passes a medical and works in training it should be ok and right to come in. But do you penalise the replacement who has been playing well by dropping them? tough call

Longer term debilitating injuries such as ligament tears and breaks are a different kettle of fish and players do need to ease back in via the magoos. Thats where they need to prove their fitness regardless of past performances

Did he sue the club for lose of hair :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Here's one for ya boys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back