Boy the games hard to watch now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it going to reach a point where a class action / boycott occurs and there's a breakaway competition similar to the LIV tour in Golf? Someone with BIG money and a strong backing will see an opportunity to revitalise interest in former AFL fans and attract new fans.

No doubt there will be fans of both competitions but I'd be expecting if this happened, more hardcore AFL fans will prioritise the breakaway competition.

The breakaway competition will obviously be more appealing to the neutral fan. What it looks like I'm not sure, but I'd be confident the rules would cater to an audience who loved footy in the 80s and 90s. Man, how exciting would that be??

This post isn't a spur of the moment. I've thought about this for several years as my frustration has grown with the rule changes.

For this to work, IMO, all current AFL players won't be allowed to transfer to the breakaway competition. There would need to be 5-10 years of prep work to launch the breakaway comp and a hard focus would be placed on grassroots. The first year the comp launches would have to be an u18s competition and those eligible for the new competition would have to be born after a certain date. This would ensure no current AFL players are conflicted/eligible and it would avoid a lawsuit.

Is it going to reach a point where a class action / boycott occurs and there's a breakaway competition similar to the LIV tour in Golf? Someone with BIG money and a strong backing will see an opportunity to revitalise interest in former AFL fans and attract new fans.

No doubt there will be fans of both competitions but I'd be expecting if this happened, more hardcore AFL fans will prioritise the breakaway competition.

The breakaway competition will obviously be more appealing to the neutral fan. What it looks like I'm not sure, but I'd be confident the rules would cater to an audience who loved footy in the 80s and 90s. Man, how exciting would that be??

This post isn't a spur of the moment. I've thought about this for several years as my frustration has grown with the rule changes.

For this to work, IMO, all current AFL players won't be allowed to transfer to the breakaway competition. There would need to be 5-10 years of prep work to launch the breakaway comp and a hard focus would be placed on grassroots. The first year the comp launches would have to be an u18s competition and those eligible for the new competition would have to be born after a certain date. This would ensure no current AFL players are conflicted/eligible and it would avoid a lawsuit.
But the health of players is a priority, if the game returns to the 80/90s the risk of head injuries is high.

I understand the frustration though, I am torn I have lost interest in the game because of the constant messing with the rules, but also the inequities of the fixture, free agency where only a few clubs attract good players because of said inequities, and the AFL media with their petty viciousness. At least Gillon made an attempt at equality, even if it was just tokenism rather than substantive. However Dillon has made it clear he has no interest in the growth of the game for small clubs Round 0, the Good Friday game, our fixture, favouring other clubs, what chance do we have.

No. There needs to be a world market for any mega rich tycoon to consider this sort of thing. AFL will never go global.

Mantis Toboggan , so it was. My bad. (which makes it one of the most extraordinary decisions I can ever remember)...
[It was an incident in the Carlton/Suns game the week before that highlighted the need for change].

I didn't see a lot of the game last night, but in my view the stricter interpretation of the rules [and I'll die on this hill, in that these absolutely ARE the rules];

Minimises 'down time'. (Ie. Chunks of game time where nothing is happening except a 5-10 second gang tackle)

- Reduces the risk of injury to players as there will be less twisting in tackles as players choose to stand and fight through.

- Encourages and importantly rewards good tackling teams.

- The players with more awareness will benefit. And while we always want players with brute strength to be able to play, I'd prefer the ball to be in motion more often than not.

[There was one decision I've seen this weekend in the Sydney game where a htb was paid when the ball was knocked out as a tackler barely brushed by, but again, I'll take outliers that way over unrewarded tackling.]
My thoughts only of course.

(On a quantifiable note, it'll be interesting to compare TV ratings and attendances from pre/post change).
I’m not arguing with the rule change. I’m prepared to wear that, maybe even support it.

It’s the sheer inability of the AFL to implement it in a competent and consistent manner.

The AFL is Thought Bubble Central.

Sorry, I know I'm spending way too much time taking about this, but one final point, because it's interesting that X_box_X raises the nostalgia aspect...

When I watch any replay of a game from the 70's or 80's one thing stands out to me above all else...
...How quickly the whistle is blown after a tackle.

There are some absolutely baffling decisions by today's standards, and yet on one hand 'older' people pine for the old days/ways, but on the other lament an interpretation that almost brings it full circle.

Part of me agrees that it shouldn't be changed mid-season.
Part of me thinks, you know what, if you think it's a bit broken, then good, go ahead and fix it.

All sports evolve to a certain extent. Perhaps the AFL more often than most.

Absolutely agree that they have made games unwatchable recently more than ever before. The fact there is no competition is part of the reason the AFL keeps tinkering away with things. Small change to fix something flows on to other areas that then need fixing. Keeps administrators employed and in important roles and there is no repercussions for messing things up.

The only change that's likely is if TV audience starts to fall away. Hasn't happened yet. Most viewers are rusted on so the AFL can do what it likes.

There is now so much to dislike about how the game is administered.

3 weeks since I posted this thread and the umpires have got worse.
To technical now it's a kick down the ground for a push in the side when kicking.
Spare me days the brushing of arms for a defender not chopping as the rule was meant.
It's hard to watch AFL I might watch the local footy.
Cheers Me.

The HTB rule is back to exactly where we started pre all this mess 4 weeks ago.

Hottest topic in week 1, slight easing in week 2, significant easing in week 3, non-existent to previous iteration week 4.

Well done, AFL. :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

The HTB rule is back to exactly where we started pre all this mess 4 weeks ago.

Hottest topic in week 1, slight easing in week 2, significant easing in week 3, non-existent to previous iteration week 4.

Well done, AFL. :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️
I'm starting to think Setka would have done us all a favour after all, if he'd managed to get the AFL to move McBurney along. I understand McBurney's the bloke calling the shots in the umpiring department. Not that he'd be the only one culpable in this never ending farce.

The whole AFL needs a cleanout. Accountable to no-one, out of touch, no feel for the game or the fan base, interested only in making more revenue which is obviously what the executives' bonuses are based on. Maybe it's time to include some other KPIs in the bonus criteria?

I'm starting to think Setka would have done us all a favour after all, if he'd managed to get the AFL to move McBurney along. I understand McBurney's the bloke calling the shots in the umpiring department. Not that he'd be the only one culpable in this never ending farce.

The whole AFL needs a cleanout. Accountable to no-one, out of touch, no feel for the game or the fan base, interested only in making more revenue which is obviously what the executives' bonuses are based on. Maybe it's time to include some other KPIs in the bonus criteria?
The whole fixture this year (and other years recently) has been a joke.

Plenty of debate on Twitter about how the byes should work and majority think it should be all done and suited in 1 round mid year (or two byes back to back with teams coming off the bye playing other teams off the bye)

Could be so simple - combine it with the mid season draft and under 18 carnival and AFLW season launch

Play a match with players all from the mid season draft and then hold the draft straight after - imagine the game if guys were playing for a spot on a list?

I know its all about money, but surely we can all cope with one week off a year to refresh just like the players - the multiple byes affect everything from fixtures, to wagering and more

If only Laura would tick this off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back