Hird To Present Norm Smith Medal at 2017 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

That AFL Senior Manager who is having the affair likes this thread even more.

Almost like the AFL have thought what story will create a distraction from their internal issues right now.

Gil has given Callum Twomey a call and asked him to call Hird and see if he is intrested in doing the NS presentation. And get some quotes for a AFL story.

Bingo Gil and the AFL.

Gil has ordered more interns to be hired at AFL House.

"We all work hard and we all deserve a taste. Who cares what Joe Public thinks!"

But they've now tarnished this award whether he accepts it or not. Bizarre decision by the AFL.
Really?! The norm smith medal is now 'tarnished'? Are you actually that easily offended or just working yourself into a lather. That is seriously next level head****ed.

If you are seriously comparing James Hird with OJ Simpson you need to get your head checked.

James Hird's only crime in my eyes is not seeing the writing on the wall when the world was out to get him.

No positive drug test for any banned substance from any player just a missing invoice.

Sure it wasn't a great look but to call it systematic doping is too long a bow.

I will be holding any booers on GF day to account.
James is the 21st C Ned Kelly. Heroic. Brave. Iconoclastic. I too will be watching booers and protestants very very closely.

I used that word deliberately.

Ffs I'm all for supporting your footy club through thick and thin but there has to be a line. Don't support someone who put people's health in danger, regardless of their on-field achievements.

Booing a man who's suffered serious mental health problems would be a terrible thing for the game.

Anyone promoting the booing of Hird is engaging in mentalism and should be ashamed.
People with mental health issues are not immune to criticism. I say that, with a mental health issue. Don’t be so condescending.

It's genuinely scary how Essendon fans see Hird as some kind of higher being.

He put young men's health in danger. This goes beyond football.
I was thinking the same thing. Am baffled by the position of most Essendon fans in this thread. The guy has brought their club to its knees and they still worship him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally don't have a huge issue with him presenting it. He earnt the medal fairly and I think has a right to fulfill all responsibilities associated with it. Too skip him without asking would be unfair as his career pre drug scandal was clean.

That being said the scandal is still fresh in the minds of supporters. Everything about Hird post 2012 is tarnished. I think he'll politely decline and move on quietly.

I take it you won't be giving Luke Hodge a standing ovation in Round 23 then.
Lol everyone Hawthorn fan thinks what Hodge did was wrong. Do you see us celebrating Hodge's actions?

Entirely different to how Essendon fans have reacted to Hird's actions.

Really?! The norm smith medal is now 'tarnished'? Are you actually that easily offended or just working yourself into a lather. That is seriously next level head****ed.
Yes. If he accepts it and gets booed, it becomes about hird getting booed, as oppose to the player winning the medal. If he declines it we all think what would've happend had he presented it. Not his fault, just purely a poor decision by the AFL. They could have just skipped him and we would be none the wiser.

I understand you're an Essendon supporter and want to support hird, but surely on some level you can see that this isn't a great idea. For James or the AFL

GAGF... a "legend" who will forever be associated with a drug cheating culture at Essendon.

I don't mind that the AFL is willing to put the past behind and move forward, however the majority of the footy public may not be so forgiving.. can you imagine 100,000 people booing him when he gets on stage, not a great look.
unfortunately maybe this is needed to make the dickheads at afl house realise how out of touch with reality they are.

Whilst the sports media in this country may fap about the return of the banned players and welcome hird back into the fold, the bulk of afl fans are still livid at the bombers for their systematic doping and at the afl for trying to sweep it all under the carpet.

I hope Gil is standing next to Jimmy when the boos come to realise what a cluster he and his moron cronies have created.

Lol everyone Hawthorn fan thinks what Hodge did was wrong. Do you see us celebrating Hodge's actions?

Entirely different to how Essendon fans have reacted to Hird's actions.

The reaction of Essendon fans has been more mixed than the bigfooty community has given credit.

Don't worry the club and those involved have spent a fair bit of time in the dog house over what is reported to have happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird To Present Norm Smith Medal at 2017 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back