Hird's Legal Team : "Demetriou Conflicted" - The Age 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet Essendon are fighting the AFL Anti doping code by insisting the AFL NOT be the ones to hand down punishment on the Club. Can't have it both ways. If they don't want AFL to administer the Anti-Doping code, then team based doping rules from WADA code applies, and ASADA absolute CAN throw the team out of the competition. Essendon need to tread very, very carefully IMO.

Incorrect. The anti doping code gives them the right to sanction Essendon for a doping violation.

So charge us with a doping violation.

Except they're not going to. They're going to go on some trumped up "bringing the game into disrepute" or "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game" stuff.

On which the Anti Doping code is irrelevant.

I get Kelty's conflict but what is Justice Linda Dessau's conflict??

I reckon a justice of the family court is probably the right sort of person to look at this. Family matters that make it the court usually involve 1 party being belligerent, vindictive and irrational. Some times its both parties. Sound like she might have the right prerequisite skills to assess this matter.

true - but I am not casting any aspersions or character attacks upon Kelty and the Justice Dessau. Merely arguing for consistency here.

To suggest that AD should be booted out from being involved in what happens in the EFC situation is ridiculous. He is the CEO

Incorrect. The anti doping code gives them the right to sanction Essendon for a doping violation.

Except they're not going to. They're going to go on some trumped up "bringing the game into disrepute" or "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game" stuff.

You do realise that the AFL can hammer your club purely based on the Ziggy report? A report that Evans decided to arrange with a good friend and Essendon supporter.

Running "workplace environments involving pharmacological experimentation" has very serious legal and criminal implications.

Any sporting sanctions to the players and/or your club going forward should be the least of your worries

Come on mate, do you honestly believe these are trumped up charges??

You do realise that the AFL can hammer your club purely based on the Ziggy report? A report that Evans decided to arrange with a good friend and Essendon supporter.

Running "workplace environments involving pharmacological experimentation" has very serious legal and criminal implications.

Any sporting sanctions to the players and/or your club going forward should be the least of your worries

exactly. That report is proof that Essendon has damaged the afl brand imo.

Something is wrong about all this.

Surely it's Hird who looks like conflicted?
Hird attacking AD because he tried to protect essendon.?

Are EFC fan braindead or wtf is going on here?

It looks like Hird may be trying to cut a deal with AD. Hird's got dirt on him over that phone call, and like many have said, if Hird's going down, he will take AD with him. If AD wants to keep his job and reputation intact, then let Ess off as lightly as you, or Hird will reveal ALL!

Yep. They can nail us for poor processes and a shocking lack of governance.

If we negotiate a penalty like Melbourne did, and Adelaide did, all good and we all move on.

If that can't be done, and the AFL attempt to impose sanctions that the club thinks are too harsh for the crime, they'll fight it.

Yep. They can nail us for poor processes and a shocking lack of governance.

If we negotiate a penalty like Melbourne did, and Adelaide did, all good and we all move on.

If that can't be done, and the AFL attempt to impose sanctions that the club thinks are too harsh for the crime, they'll fight it.

I agree that a crime has been committed - sadly for your club, it wont be the AFL that will be judging and sentencing you.

(to compare the EFC situation with what happened at Melbourne and Adelaide is not a valid comparison - they didn't commit any crimes or named in official ACC reports - both were internal AFL matters. Are you sure that you appreciate the gravity of the situation that will plague your club moving forward?)

I agree that a crime has been committed - sadly for your club, it wont be the AFL that will be judging and sentencing you.

(to compare the EFC situation with what happened at Melbourne and Adelaide is not a valid comparison - they didn't commit any crimes or named in official ACC reports - both were internal AFL matters. Are you sure that you appreciate the gravity of the situation that will plague your club moving forward?)

And what crime has EFC committed? Where are the charges? Police? ASADA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

USADA's CEO telling us in no uncertain terms the cover up is in progress and leaves absolutely no doubt about NRL and AFL players breaking the code.
Don't forget there are two organisations involved here. The AFL and ASADA/WADA. The AFL is the appropriate organisation to administer its own rules (such as bringing the game into disrepute). It is therefore the appropriate organisation to punish coaches and administrators - people who are not specifically covered by ASADA/WADA. Player sanctions are more appropriately handled by ASADA/WADA. I see no problem with AD presiding over Essendon on matters relating to AFL rules.

It looks like Hird may be trying to cut a deal with AD. Hird's got dirt on him over that phone call, and like many have said, if Hird's going down, he will take AD with him. If AD wants to keep his job and reputation intact, then let Ess off as lightly as you, or Hird will reveal ALL!
Hird has no dirt. AD has said he could not have given the game away in the phone call because he hadn't been advised himself. That's easy enough to verify. IMO Hird's dead in the water.

I don't see what Hird hopes to gain with this course of action. I don't care one way or the other and I can't see why Hird does. Even if AD excuses himself from the commission his fingerprints will still be all over any decision. It would of been wiser to stroke ADs ego and cosy up to him.
Hird is being very poorly advised.

Hird has no dirt. AD has said he could not have given the game away in the phone call because he hadn't been advised himself. That's easy enough to verify. IMO Hird's dead in the water.

The jungle drums were beating about Essendon, wouldn't have taken a genius to deduce where the ACC was focused. How it helps Hird personally, I'm not sure.

I don't see what Hird hopes to gain with this course of action. I don't care one way or the other and I can't see why Hird does. Even if AD excuses himself from the commission his fingerprints will still be all over any decision. It would of been wiser to stroke ADs ego and cosy up to him.
Hird is being very poorly advised.

yep you sure get more with homey than vinegar imo.

So, reading some of the posts people are suggesting that:
Vlad tried to help Essendon by giving them a heads up.
Vlad is trying to minimise the punishment to Essendon by shifting some of the punishment to Hird.
Hird is pissed off because he is greater than Essendon and should be the one getting the help.

Does that sum it up correctly?

Are Essendon's, Hirds and the Player's legal teams all talking from the same hymn sheet?

I wouldn't be surprised if their interests begin to diverge very very soon.
It's like the poor lawyer in a remote country town. Couldn't earn a decent living. Then one day a second lawyer set up shop. And they both made a killing.

I think Hird is trying to negotiate a 6 month suspension. He'll accept that, but he won't accept being turfed from the job. If only it was as easy as the old days, when you could make a goose of yourself and then write out a cheque for $20,000 and make the problem go away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird's Legal Team : "Demetriou Conflicted" - The Age 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back