Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

This stadium for 7-8 games a year (surely have to play minimum 3-4 in Launceston) is outrageous.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stadium 10 minutes down the road.

Inner city stadiums are great but you need a city to have one. Hobart is a town.

Mona is 20 minutes away. Wrest Point is down the road. Port Arthur, Bruny Island, wineries, restaurants etc. People don't go to Hobart to be stuck in a CBD.

The AFL has seen that the Government is serious in withdrawing its funding to North and Hawthorn and have used that against them to get 750 Million + out of the poor sods to build something they surely don't need.

Seems a lot of money to spend on a ground that will host 5-6 afl games a year.

Could they use the roof for cricket games? Presumably it's lower than the roof at Docklands.

Maybe it's a deliberately outlandish proposal so that the next one costing half as much looks a lot cheaper than it is.
Its okay they can just use the excess jobkeeper money

Why the need for divisions? Everyone just plays everyone else once per season. Fixture would finally be fair

Can swap home and away games each year
Anything would be better than the unbalanced competition we have now, each play once or two ten team conferences each playing twice or something like that.

I hate the idea of divisions but it is the AFLs direction
Surely 2 conferences and not 2 divisions? We're too small a country to sustain a 2nd Division competition; once a team is demoted to 2nd Div that would spell the end of its quality players, IMO.

At least with conferences you have 2 genuine top level competitions, with the premiers of each playing off for the Australian Championship

The AFL has seen that the Government is serious in withdrawing its funding to North and Hawthorn and have used that against them to get 750 Million + out of the poor sods to build something they surely don't need.
Before any of that bluster, the Taskforce report in 2019 said a new 27,000-seat stadium would be required. If the Tas govt can't get it built for the $300m bandied around in that report, I don't see how it's the AFL's fault.

Before any of that bluster, the Taskforce report in 2019 said a new 27,000-seat stadium would be required. If the Tas govt can't get it built for the $300m bandied around in that report, I don't see how it's the AFL's fault.
The taskforce was a con.

AFL select a bunch of their mates and ask for what they want. None of its required.

I guess if you’re willing to blow 300M on Bellerive West you may as well blow 750M on Docklands South.

The taskforce was a con.

AFL select a bunch of their mates and ask for what they want. None of its required.

I guess if you’re willing to blow 300M on Bellerive West you may as well blow 750M on Docklands South.
Well if the AFL have put one over the Tassie Government, then Tassie may need someone else running the state.

Well if the AFL have put one over the Tassie Government, then Tassie may need someone else running the state.
To be fair, the afl have done to same to just about every state government.

I’d argue the Adelaide oval redevelopment is the only stadium that really passes the pub test. Perth is nice, but heinously expensive for the government and for the fans to attend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, the afl have done to same to just about every state government.

I’d argue the Adelaide oval redevelopment is the only stadium that really passes the pub test. Perth is nice, but heinously expensive for the government and for the fans to attend.
I suppose the AFL are now forcing Brisbane to upgrade the Gabba too?

Seems a lot of money to spend on a ground that will host 5-6 afl games a year.

Could they use the roof for cricket games? Presumably it's lower than the roof at Docklands.

Maybe it's a deliberately outlandish proposal so that the next one costing half as much looks a lot cheaper than it is.
Will also host round ball sports and concerts

Build the new stadium in Hobart and play all 11 games there (For the new tassie team).

Hawthorn (and North?) can continue to play games in Launceston until a time where Launceston can support its own team (so 2 AFL teams in Tasmania).

Time to start talking about if we're going to 20, 22 or even 24 teams in the AFL do we need to start playing in divisions (imo highly preferred to conferences). Two divisions of 12 teams each would allow for a full H+A season to be played over 22 weeks like it was from 1970 until West Coast joined the league.
It'd be one team in Tassie, with the occasional Tassie game at UTAS and most being there. Bit like the clubs in Melb being split between Melb/Marvel.

UTAS hopefully get's more seats.

I'd hope this Hobart stadium is more than 27k tho, that's not great.

Looks good tho.

A lot of people up here in the north are already carrying on about it so clearly they are not fine with it but I'm also fine with it and think it would be great.
I think people are jumping the gun saying all games are in Hobart . apparently plans are already in place weather we get an afl license or not for a 150 million dollar upgrade of utas stadium so even with a new stadium in Hobart Launceston will get there share of games

I think people are jumping the gun saying all games are in Hobart . apparently plans are already in place weather we get an afl license or not for a 150 million dollar upgrade of utas stadium so even with a new stadium in Hobart Launceston will get there share of games
That is right, but that then means this new ground will need to work hard to get as much other product as possible or it won't of been worth spending all this money to build it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back