Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I have already seen hundreds on Facebook,these people obviously don't think about all the money this will bring into the state that can then be used on all these things.

This was announced yesterday.
I spent some time looking up that area of Hobart on Google maps.
I spread that curiosity a bit further.
Already spoken to my wife about Tassie being our next family holiday location as we've both never been.

This is the benefit of major works such as the proposed stadium.

That is right, but that then means this new ground will need to work hard to get as much other product as possible or it won't of been worth spending all this money to build it.
I would say the government has been told buy the afl a new stadium in Hobart is a prerequisite to getting a license. As they have changed there opinion from a year or two ago re Blundstone

A lot of people up here in the north are already carrying on about it so clearly they are not fine with it but I'm also fine with it and think it would be great.
Vocal minority. Hobart is a beautiful city with so much capacity for growth and culture, the team should be based there and play the majority of games there. It's not that far to travel.

Vocal minority. Hobart is a beautiful city with so much capacity for growth and culture, the team should be based there and play the majority of games there. It's not that far to travel.
The North South "divide" is no where near what the AFL would have you think but it's not a vocal minority. There would be significant numbers of people put out by any Tassie team based only in Hobart.

The old Footy in the North, cricket in the south mindset has shifted but it's not eradicated.

I do agree but I suppose it is the North westerners that it will affect the most,I think they stick with half the games in Launceston but I honestly don't mind either way.

The North South "divide" is no where near what the AFL would have you think but it's not a vocal minority. There would be significant numbers of people put out by any Tassie team based only in Hobart.

The old Footy in the North, cricket in the south mindset has shifted but it's not eradicated.
The North also believe they are more entitled to it because the AFL crowds for Hawks are Bigger but I'm not surprised North has struggled to pull constiently big crowds in Hobart considering how a lot think of the roos.

To be fair, the afl have done to same to just about every state government.

I’d argue the Adelaide oval redevelopment is the only stadium that really passes the pub test. Perth is nice, but heinously expensive for the government and for the fans to attend.

Expense of attending West Coast games was already bad at Subi. That problem was not going away no matter how much or little was being spent on the Stadium.

The stadium was necessary to be heinously expensive - Billion of our gst dollars were flowing out of the state.
Perth is allowed to spend money on nice things too. 2 billion stadium and surrounds, 300m train station, 80m footbridge.
We used the QLD trick - rack up state debt so the Fed govt has no choice but to redress the flow. (thanks to a number of other epicly expensive projects - eg half billion dollar Perth arena, fiona stanley hospital (2 billion+), new perth childrens hospital (1.5billion+) etc
I'm pretty sure all Perthonites are happy to have this epic new precinct on the Burswood peninsular rather than just seeing the dollars float out of the state.

That said we are still only receiving 70cents back on the dollar so we are still being more than generous to other states, and that's fine.

Tas Government is spending up. There is money for other infrastructure as well including hospitals.
Launceston York Park getting a $135m upgrade regardless of AFL entry. Plus a $50m indoor arena next door.
Penguin (North-west) getting a small new stadium to host AFLW, VFL & pre-season games. State also expects to get an A League team and games will be shared around.
Reckon we will see a 7/4 Hobart/Launceston split for AFL. They will be granted a license for 2027 before season 2022 is over. It is happening and will be fantastic for Tassie and very good for football.

It is happening and will be fantastic for Tassie and very good for football.

Also a very big boost for jobs and economy having an afl team..

44 players minimum wage 150k average wage 300k

20 coaching/ football department staff similar wage

Office staff retail shop membership department

Stadium staff/contractors/vendors game and non game day

Teams like Richmond essendon collingwood Carlton will bring tourists and corporate junkets

All this stuff strengthens the economy and pays for things like the 1000th royal Hobart hospital upgrade

Expense of attending West Coast games was already bad at Subi. That problem was not going away no matter how much or little was being spent on the Stadium.

The stadium was necessary to be heinously expensive - Billion of our gst dollars were flowing out of the state.
Perth is allowed to spend money on nice things too. 2 billion stadium and surrounds, 300m train station, 80m footbridge.
We used the QLD trick - rack up state debt so the Fed govt has no choice but to redress the flow. (thanks to a number of other epicly expensive projects - eg half billion dollar Perth arena, fiona stanley hospital (2 billion+), new perth childrens hospital (1.5billion+) etc
I'm pretty sure all Perthonites are happy to have this epic new precinct on the Burswood peninsular rather than just seeing the dollars float out of the state.

That said we are still only receiving 70cents back on the dollar so we are still being more than generous to other states, and that's fine.

Do you always have propaganda for lunch or only on the weekdays?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The usual waaaah blame everything on the other states.

West Coast tickets would be expensive regardless of stadium build cost = waaaah blame other states !?

WA spent up big on some ballsy projects = waaaah blame other states !?

Rising WA state debt caused a Federal rethink on gst distribution = waaah blame the other states !? (probably the closest maybe)

WA still pays 30cents on the dollar towards other states when it comes to the carve up and I think "that's fine" = waaah blame the other states !?

Someone commented on Perth's stadium as an example and reference the ticket prices to which I responded.
Your comments (genius as they are) contributed nothing and dont even really flow with the convo.

Tas Government is spending up. There is money for other infrastructure as well including hospitals.
Launceston York Park getting a $135m upgrade regardless of AFL entry. Plus a $50m indoor arena next door.
Penguin (North-west) getting a small new stadium to host AFLW, VFL & pre-season games. State also expects to get an A League team and games will be shared around.
Reckon we will see a 7/4 Hobart/Launceston split for AFL. They will be granted a license for 2027 before season 2022 is over. It is happening and will be fantastic for Tassie and very good for football.

Also a very big boost for jobs and economy having an afl team..

Spend big I say. It will pay itself off eventually and be well worth it.
The hospitals and schools crowd will always have something to bleat and cry about it - but the truth is this will contribute back into the economy.

The only question for me as an outsider is the question of whether the locals think this is the right location for the stadium or not?

Spend big I say. It will pay itself off eventually and be well worth it.
The hospitals and schools crowd will always have something to bleat and cry about it - but the truth is this will contribute back into the economy.

The only question for me as an outsider is the question of whether the locals think this is the right location for the stadium or not?
Glenorchy would of be better but if the transport corridor is activated for the area then it will be a good location.

A little birdie who a few weeks ago told me of the plan to have a roofed stadium near the CBD also mentioned this was the intended split, so I think you are right on the money.
The Launceston major has today come saying they are worried about losing the AFL blockbusters that was promised if Tasmania get a team due to a new Hobart stadium,I can see this north south stuff already firing up.

The Launceston major has today come saying they are worried about losing the AFL blockbusters that was promised if Tasmania get a team due to a new Hobart stadium,I can see this north south stuff already firing up.
That's his job to advocate for Launceston.

My plan
19 teams
18 games (play everyone one once home and away flipped each year)

19th game is a double up against a rival (vic teams and tas to decide that somehow).
9 home games 9 away games each side
1 game a year for each team at a neutral venue, ideally regional (cairns townsville darwin alice ballarat hobart (to get annual games here up from 7) launnie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back