mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
What has happened to the holding the ball rule? A year ago it used to be if you grabbed the ball, did NOT pull it under you but did not get it out there was a free kick against you. Or if you took a step and were wrapped up you were deemed to have a chance to get rid of the ball and also pinged. Now you can haul in the ball and lay on it and get away with it and you can take any no of steps and when you're wrapped up it's no prior opportunity. But I think the most ridiculous I've seen is where a player takes a mark, takes a step and is wrapped up, tries to pretend he was not holding the ball and the umpire decides on a ball-up. I mean, make a decision, you wooses! Otherwise he played on and was holding the ball or he took the mark. And what is with this taking possession of the ball on the ground and rolling with it? That's just another way of holding in the ball on without lying on it and should be stamped out straight away. It's a blight on the game and is leading to the low-to-middling scores we've seen this year.

I started noticing this when Dermott Brereton started going on about holding-the-ball disappearing. I don't usually pay much attention to him but then the other commentators started to say the same. And from other threads I've noticed here it seems other rules may be going. Even incorrect disposal only seems to be paid when the offending player is in the clear.

The touched mark play-on tackle bounce is a pattern I've seen for a lot of years so I doubt if it's a trend starting. Wanganeen was penalised after taking a step. Cornes after missing his kick when tackled, plus another was paid against Sydney for the player dragging it under. Perhaps you refer to other matches.

The only holding the ball thats is paid is ridiculous ruck one when the ruckman has for a nanosecond but is touched by an opposition player.

Originally posted by Majjie
It certainly doesn't get paid against Chris Judd

hahah love it!!

but yes, the number of holding the ball decisions has definetaly gone down by about 2 or 3 fold one feels from last year.

One of the many rules that changes every season. One day maybe there'll be a clear cut definition that is regulary used, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally posted by Blues4Life
One of the many rules that changes every season. One day maybe there'll be a clear cut definition that is regulary used, but I'm not holding my breath.
But you can't grab the ball out of the ruck without getting tickled...
go figure:confused:

If running player with ball is just about to kick the ball, is tackled and the ball clearly doesn't connect with foot....dropping ball or play on ???

Unless you watch the WestCoast today...it's play on....other teams...BALLLL !!!!

Apparently you can try and outrun an opponent, get caught from behind, and simply place the ball on the ground while you're being tackled and it's play on.

There's also no consistency in decisions paid for players being ran down from behind or players diving on the ball and not making an attempt to get it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Woodson
If running player with ball is just about to kick the ball, is tackled and the ball clearly doesn't connect with foot....dropping ball or play on ???

I always thought that it was a free kick to the player who laid the tackle. I noticed a tackle laid on Chad Fletcher today that happened exactly like the above but it was deemed play on.

If a player doesn't dispose the ball properly isn't it a free kick? Or has that changed?

Originally posted by jont2020
I always thought that it was a free kick to the player who laid the tackle. I noticed a tackle laid on Chad Fletcher today that happened exactly like the above but it was deemed play on.

If a player doesn't dispose the ball properly isn't it a free kick? Or has that changed?

Interperatation of the rule changes every 10 minutes. FACT !

Depends on the tackler, the tacklee.......never mind ....just head to Sportsbet and invest some money on Judd....surely he is looked after by the umps.

As for Judd's have a cry jibe........pffft !! what comes around goes around....remember that as a fact of life.

I've thrown my rule book in the bin. I watched a game the other night and the AFL have obviously written a complete new set of rules and not told anyone.

Originally posted by Woodson

15.2.4 Application – Specific instances where play shall continue
For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:-

d) a Player, whilst in the act of Kicking or Handballing, is swung off balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3(a) (Free Kick for Incorrect Disposal) shall apply;

Bob

Not being penalised when swung off the ball "whilst in the act" is fair enough.

What annoys me is when a great tackle is laid and the guy in possesion just lets the ball come loose - no attempt to do anything - and the umpire yells play on. Then one of the tackled players' teammates picks up the ball, scoots off and gets a kick.

Originally posted by TigerCraig
Not being penalised when swung off the ball "whilst in the act" is fair enough.

What annoys me is when a great tackle is laid and the guy in possesion just lets the ball come loose - no attempt to do anything - and the umpire yells play on. Then one of the tackled players' teammates picks up the ball, scoots off and gets a kick.

Here's the full list:

15.2.4 Application – Specific instances where play shall continue
For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:-

(a) a Player is bumped and the football falls from the Player’s hands;

(b) a Player’s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose possession of the football;

(c) a Player’s arms are pinned to his or her side by an opponent which causes the Player to drop the football, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3(a) shall apply;

(d) a Player, whilst in the act of Kicking or Handballing, is swung off balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3(a) shall apply; or

(e) a Player is pulled or swung by one arm which causes the football to fall from the Player’s hands, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3(a) shall apply.

Bob

Remove this Banner Ad

Holding the ball has gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back