Hong Kong protests

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean?

This whole things is simply people reinforcing their prejudice and pushing whatever "team" they follow.

Australian students would be unemployed bong smoking bums no matter what their issue was. Murdoch press would go full rage.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong students are champs of democracy cause **** China.

This whole things is simply people reinforcing their prejudice and pushing whatever "team" they follow.

Australian students would be unemployed bong smoking bums no matter what their issue was. Murdoch press would go full rage.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong students are champs of democracy cause fu** China.
Anytime there is a people's uprising ,you have to back the people if you believe in democracy. Carrie Lam is a Chinese puppet on the take.

Chinese people don’t smoke bongs, obviously.

To be fair, half of Monash uni does hit a bong pretty hard...

Did you see the Australian front page the other day? It seems that Murdoch doesn't like the HK protestors either.

Hong Kong’s democrats romped to a landslide and symbolic majority in district council elections after residents turned out in record numbers on Sunday to vote following six months of anti-government protests in the embattled city.
In a rare weekend lull in the unrest that has rocked the financial hub, democratic candidates across the city of 7.4 million people secured more than half of the 452 district council seats for the first time against a strongly resourced and mobilized pro-establishment opposition.

When the results began trickling in after midnight, including upset wins for democrats against heavyweight pro-Beijing opponents, some voting centers erupted in loud cheers and chants of “Liberate Hong Kong. Revolution Now” — a slogan used by many protesters on the streets over the past six months.

I'm in HK right now and hadn't really gotten a gauge on whether the locals generally support the protesters or not; especially given the ongoing carnage. But I was out for dinner tonight at a crappy local restaurant with the news on and it was funny to see lots of cheers and clapping in the restaurant whenever certain people/candidates came on the screen. Of the three or four older people who made passing comments to me, they all changed from pro-Beijing to pro-democracy parties, in some part because of their kids/grandkids.

I do wonder what, if any, concessions Beijing will give in response to the landslide.

I'm in HK right now and hadn't really gotten a gauge on whether the locals generally support the protesters or not; especially given the ongoing carnage. But I was out for dinner tonight at a crappy local restaurant with the news on and it was funny to see lots of cheers and clapping in the restaurant whenever certain people/candidates came on the screen. Of the three or four older people who made passing comments to me, they all changed from pro-Beijing to pro-democracy parties, in some part because of their kids/grandkids.

I do wonder what, if any, concessions Beijing will give in response to the landslide.

the results are massive (18/18 districts were pro-beijing now only 1, they had over 70% of seats now only 10%). the voice from the people has been overwhelming

but, they only get to appoint part of the legislature, 50% is done by beijing, and Lam is going nowhere

what this does mean however is there might be able to be a negotiation now. with the protestors, its been almost impossible to negotiate with them thanks to their no leaders and consensus model. with many of the figureheads now in council, they may be able to get the cred to actually assume a leadership role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will you be joining your allies in the street this time, or simply benefit from their sacrifice once again?
What "benefit" do you imagine I derive? Whether they're my "allies" or not is questionable. I definitely sympathise with their complaints.

As opposed to some people, who decry big government despite relying on government to wipe their arse for them.

What "benefit" do you imagine I derive? Whether they're my "allies" or not is questionable. I definitely sympathise with their complaints.

As opposed to some people, who decry big government despite relying on government to wipe their arse for them.
They fight to keep Beijing from turning HK into a shithole, as China tend to do with every parcel of land they can get their corrupt tentacles around.

Grab a mask and a baton and get out their son.

They fight to keep Beijing from turning HK into a shithole, as China tend to do with every parcel of land they can get their corrupt tentacles around.

Grab a mask and a baton and get out their son.

You are aware you're encouraging him to get killed or locked up for decades? people are still in camps for protesting during Tiananmen.

reports are saying one country two systems is over - if this is true it wont be HK coppers at the barricades, but PLA troops

You are aware you're encouraging him to get killed or locked up for decades? people are still in camps for protesting during Tiananmen.

reports are saying one country two systems is over - if this is true it wont be HK coppers at the barricades, but PLA troops
We had to lose many ANZAC heroes to stop the Nazis.

It was a tough decision for me to make, no doubt, but I've decided that I'm willing to sacrifice SJ for this cause.

We had to lose many ANZAC heroes to stop the Nazis.

It was a tough decision for me to make, no doubt, but I've decided that I'm willing to sacrifice SJ for this cause.

you really are a flog

also the ANZAC's didnt stop the nazi's, FFS read a book

Remove this Banner Ad

Hong Kong protests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back