Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not every 'alternative' music fan likes Top 40 music and is just hiding it... In fact I'd argue that 90% despise Top 40 music for its very nature of repetition and cliches. Which is the very reason to listen to stations like JJJ.
Gibbsy baby are you saying JJJ isn't repetitive and full of cliches?

Those songs were also given airtime on triple J before the commercial stations started playing them too.

'Music' by Madonna was a number 1 hit in the US (her 12th number 1 hit there), UK and Australia among countless other countries. It was a global smash.
This was off the back of her highly successful Ray Of Light album, which sold 16 million copies worldwide.
Are you trying to tell me that commercial stations only woke up to an international superhit from the 'Queen of Pop' after Triple J started playing it?
Please :rolleyes:

And Taylor Swifts song may be ineligible because of a campaign where people are voting for it to win a KFC voucher, apparently bribing punters to vote for a song in that way is against the rules for hottest 100 voting so it seems that the hot air building up may amount to nothing.

Hey, that's an idea. If I was insanely rich and wanted Chet Faker to win over Peking Duk, I could just start offering $5 to everyone who votes for High.

And for who ever isnt listening, Daniel Johns just did a slowed down, piano version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Actually really good. Really good.

Nothing I dislike more than slowed down, acoustic, whiny covers of otherwise dynamic songs. Would anyone actually like it if they didn't already know the better, original, far more interesting version? I would say no. Seem to be quite a popular thing though, so ok.

I can't stand this Taylor Swift campaign. As stupid as it sounds, the Hottest 100 actually does mean a lot to some people.

'Music' by Madonna was a number 1 hit in the US (her 12th number 1 hit there), UK and Australia among countless other countries. It was a global smash.
This was off the back of her highly successful Ray Of Light album, which sold 16 million copies worldwide.
Are you trying to tell me that commercial stations only woke up to an international superhit from the 'Queen of Pop' after Triple J started playing it?
Please :rolleyes:
Come on mate JJJ only gives undiscovered non mainstream artists a go and leg up.

Except you know when they don't.

I wouldn't actually have minded if 'Shake It Off' made it into the countdown before all this campaigning and furore. It would have been cool to see it in there on merit, just like it was in Pitchfork's list and other similarly 'alternative' sites that usually wouldn't care for it. Because it's a good song.

But now if it does get played it won't really have the same effect

Some but not that much; left out those with no chance
Sia - Chandelier #46
Royal Blood - Little Monster #76
Northeast Party House - The Haunted #123
Creases, The - Static Lines #206
Chet Faker - Cigarettes & Loneliness #109

Hey the witness.
Im a betting man and today placed a large sum of money on uptown funk for top 5 paying 6-1. But after looking at your posts I'm worried the betting agency has it spot on and im in a lot of trouble. Is this an crazy chance still?

I can't stand this Taylor Swift campaign. As stupid as it sounds, the Hottest 100 actually does mean a lot to some people.

I don't believe you. Everyone stopped caring when thrift shop got number 1.

If I could go back in time I would certainly vote for Shake it off. Would listen to it over any of chet faker or milkchance recent work everytime.

Personally because I think it's a celebration of music that doesn't get the same sort of exposure as Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc.

Bullshit. Kanye West has had like five or six songs feature on the Hottest 100 in the past 3 years.

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate

It's actually a really catchy song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally because I think it's a celebration of music that doesn't get the same sort of exposure as Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc.
But these songs get voted for because they're so well exposed by one of the biggest radio stations in Australia?

Bullshit. Kanye West has had like five or six songs feature on the Hottest 100 in the past 3 years.

How many times did you hear Black Skinhead, New Slaves or N****s in Paris on NOVA?

How many times did you hear Black Skinhead, New Slaves or N****s in Paris on NOVA?

I don't really listen to the radio but if they didn't it's because they couldn't. The hottest 100 has been mainstream for ages. People need to get over it and stop taking it so seriously.

Yeah but on the other hand that stopped when record companies in Australia started strategically releasing tracks from artists so it would be perfect timing for voting.

I'd like to see a hottest hundred where you can also vote for ten songs that you despise. Because let's face it, a lot of the music played polarises listeners.

When I listen to triple j I have to change the station on pretty much every second song because it awful

But these songs get voted for because they're so well exposed by one of the biggest radio stations in Australia?

In most states it sits outside the top 5 and in some outside the top 10, I'm pretty sure. Regardless, it's a station for mostly indie music and the like and that means a lot to some people because you can't get that sort of music on your NOVAs and your 2DAY FMs.

I don't really listen to the radio but if they didn't it's because they couldn't. The hottest 100 has been mainstream for ages. People need to get over it and stop taking it so seriously.

Why? I'm very serious about music. I understand why it's not a big deal to some people but as the pretentious dickhead that I am, it really is a big deal.

I'd like to see a hottest hundred where you can also vote for ten songs that you despise.l

Remember the old Net 50 that they used to do in the late 90's on a Saturday night where you could also post negative votes? They should bring that in for the Hottest 100 voting.

Hey the witness.
Im a betting man and today placed a large sum of money on uptown funk for top 5 paying 6-1. But after looking at your posts I'm worried the betting agency has it spot on and im in a lot of trouble. Is this an crazy chance still?
I think it is some chance of a top 5 finish. I certainly won't predict it as a top 5, but I think it is much better than a 6-1 chance. I would have a small nibble at 6-1 but certainly wouldn't be putting large amounts on it. As someone said earlier I actually believe that the betting agencies have changed their odds based on my posts here or them doing the same thing as me. Interesting that all the prices changed the morning after I posted my last top 10 though.
If this helps at all, last year my count suggested Royals was #10 and it finished #2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back