Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people hate Richard Kingsmill so much?

And when did Triple J bow down to The Man and start tricking up DJs' titles by dropping off first or second names? Next it'll be Nathan, Nat, and Shauny Mac sponsored by Harvey Fresh while trotting out something on Future Classic.
I wouldn't say I hate him, but I definitely don't like listening to him talking on his show

pretty good list sixoneeight however there is not much chance Coldplay will chart, has Magic even been played on the j's? if not, doubt it

think put I Can Feel You Don't Love Me by Kingswood and Fur Eyes by Violent Soho in there, replacing Magic and Recess by Skrillex, and that seems likely

For a guy with his power and responsibility in the Australian music industry, he probably doesn't wield it with fairness and balance that some would like. As programming director for Triple J, he bases too much of what the station plays on his personal tastes, and doesn't give as much of a range and variety of music a go as once was there on the station. He's quite fickle and elitist with what doesn't get played, too, and does have a habit of doing the hipster thing of "stop liking them when they get popular or hit the mainstream" with artists that the station once championed.

Last edited:
Hi guys, getting started early. I haven't thought about this much yet, even in terms of what I am going to vote for. My listening to JJJ is now almost completely confined to the time spent in the shower. I must admit I have probably moved over to JJ when listening to the radio at home.

What is the feeling of the impact of JJ on the count this year? Could we see tracks played on JJ that have not made the JJJ playlist poll?
This year may be a bit early but I am expecting an impact in the coming years.

Hoping to see the following JJ darlings up there:
Kishi Bashi – Carry On Phenomenon
Emilie Simon – Quand Vient Le Jour

I think its likely Chandelier will be eligible, not uncommon a track not played charts (fellows In Paris - Jay Z/Kanye, Ho Hey - The Lumineers etc). Considering the album was given a preview on 2014, other singles have gotten airplay (Burn The Pages, Elastic Heart last year), the song won a J-Award and they have been using it in a 'best of 2014' promo I'm going to say its a good chance. Sia still gets a lot of love from the J's, even if she is getting considerable airtime commercially.

Coldplay are a big question mark, Magic got played quite a bit on Double J, so depends again on eligibility. If its there, I'd say it would chart. Only other Double J artist i could see scraping an entry would be St Vincent, their album of the year with a strong lead single in Digital Witness.

Guess we will find out Monday, this year anything could happen

What is the feeling of the impact of JJ on the count this year? Could we see tracks played on JJ that have not made the JJJ playlist poll?
This year may be a bit early but I am expecting an impact in the coming years.

I'm really not sure what impact Double J will have on H100 voting. I think it will certainly influence the votes of people who have made the switch on a regular basis, if they bother to vote. But I also think that if the songs aren't on the voting list they won't stand a chance. So I think it's those songs that got airplay on both stations that will receive any bonus that might eventuate.

Sorry to disappoint ya Schreech but ya wont be hearing these on Jan 26 unless you bring your Walkman along champ....

Enough of people bagging out kingsmill, The music on the station nowadays, JJJ in general, etc we are here to PREDICT THE LIST create another thread "SOOKING ABOUT JJJ" or "THIS IS A GOOD SONG I LIKE THAT WONT MAKE THE HOTTEST 100 COS NO-ONES HEARD OF IT" and go your hardest..

I'm jealous of him if anything. Not only does he decide what kids listen to, he also plays god on the careers of Australian bands. Who wouldn't want that kind of power?
Absolutely no-one would know who RÜFÜS was if Kingsmill didn't decide to play them. 99% of their fanbase is made up of Triple J listeners. They are one of many Australian bands that owe their careers to him.

Plenty of people have actually described their musical tastes to me as 'triple j music' :$ These 'Kingsmill drones' are basically the lifeblood to festivals like Falls, Splendour & Groovin the Moo. The bills for these festivals are stacked with bands he introduced to the kids of Australia. Not bad for a 50 year old!

Plenty of people have actually described their musical tastes to me as 'triple j music' :$ These 'Kingsmill drones' are basically the lifeblood to festivals like Falls, Splendour & Groovin the Moo. The bills for these festivals are stacked with bands he introduced to the kids of Australia. Not bad for a 50 year old!
But depressing for 19-year olds

****, this year looks grim. last year actually was pretty good if you excuse the number 1...

haven't caught much this year, even at work. so some tracks i wouldn't mind sinking BEVVIES (MAYTE) to on Australia Day; have any of the jamie xx tracks had any triple J traction? specifically girl? the caribou track 'can't do without you' seems like it'd be eaten up/out by triple J bros, and I wouldn't mind sinking BEVVIES (MAYTE) to that one...

looking at that "best" albums list i nearly gouged my eyes out. wow that was heinous. ****ing kids these days...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thinking the top 10 could well be...

1. Milky Chance - Stolen Dance
2. Chet Faker - Talk is Cheap
3. Sia - Chandelier
4. Zhu - Faded
5. Kendrick Lamar - i
6. Vance Joy - Mess is Mine
7. Hilltop Hoods - Cosby Sweater
8. Peking Duck - High
9. Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat
10. Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk (ft. Bruno Mars)

I'm not sure what's inspiring people to put Chandelier up so high

It would be unprecedented for a track to finish so high up having never been played on the station before

Surely uptown funk is a shoe-in. It ticks all the boxes. It's being spammed on Fox/Nova and on JJJ they seemingly play it and the hosts constantly mention how much they like it. It's popularity is peaking at almost the perfect time, it's as if JJJ have put a massive amount of money on it to win and pay off a few salaries.

Surely uptown funk is a shoe-in. It ticks all the boxes. It's being spammed on Fox/Nova and on JJJ they seemingly play it and the hosts constantly mention how much they like it. It's popularity is peaking at almost the perfect time, it's as if JJJ have put a massive amount of money on it to win and pay off a few salaries.
Number one is a bit of a stretch. Top 5 a real chance though.

Too late of a release I think.

Sorted out my 10.

Allday - Right Now
Alt-J - Left Hand Free
Art vs Science - Create/Destroy
Ball Park Music - Trippin’ the Light Fantastic
Chet Faker - Cigarettes & Loneliness
DMA's - Delete
Duke Dumont - I Got U {ft. Jax Jones}
Jungle - Julia
The Kooks - Bad Habit
The War On Drugs - Red Eyes

It would be unprecedented for a track to finish so high up having never been played on the station before
I'm pretty sure we've had a few high placing songs that have only ever been played once or twice

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see it win

****, this year looks grim. last year actually was pretty good if you excuse the number 1...

haven't caught much this year, even at work. so some tracks i wouldn't mind sinking BEVVIES (MAYTE) to on Australia Day; have any of the jamie xx tracks had any triple J traction? specifically girl? the caribou track 'can't do without you' seems like it'd be eaten up/out by triple J bros, and I wouldn't mind sinking BEVVIES (MAYTE) to that one...

looking at that "best" albums list i nearly gouged my eyes out. wow that was heinous. ******* kids these days...
Yep, I know this got a bit of airtime. Like this song.

Not unprecedented, U2s elevation went top 10 without a single spin on triple j that year. All just depends on if it makes the shortlist.

I reckon Uptown Funk is a real chance in a year pretty light on top end contenders, the late year release actually aids it in my opinion, won't run the risk of people getting sick of it like **** You a few years back.

Top 10 for me:

Porter Robinson - Sad Machine
Touch Sensitive - Slowments
The Griswolds - 16 Years
The Jezabels - Look of Love
Peking Duk - High
Broods - L.A.F
Hopium - Dreamers
Ball Park Music - She Only Loves Me When I'm There
Uptight Downtown - La Roux
Vancouver Sleep Clinic - Collapse

Stiff to miss out:

Avicii - The Nights
Kite String Tangle - Arcadia
Vance Joy - Mess Is Mine
Basenji - Heirloom
Bring Me The Horizon - Drown
Porter Robinson - Divinity/Flicker/Hear The Bells
Peking Duk - Take Me Over
Asgeir - Going Home/Torrent
Foster The People - Are You What You wanna Be
Illy - Tightrope
Japanese Wallpaper - Between Friends
Madeon - Imperium/You're On
Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat

Been a fantastic year for music, in particular Aussie music.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back