Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally the best Aussie bands and artists have had success overseas like ACDC, INXS, The Church, Silverchair, Gotye, Kyle Minogue etc.

They were all original though unlike Chet Faker, there's nothing special about him that would make him a worldwide success.

I'm just filling in for Silent Alarm
You are clearly missing Savage Garden from that list. ;)

Nothing saying you have to be big to be good.

Talk Is Cheap:
Is Better than:
Riptide
Thrift Shop
Somebody I Used To Know
Big Jet Plane
Little Lion Man
Sex On Fire

Best Number 1 in SEVEN YEARS
Haters gonna hate, hate etc. :rainbow:

Talk Is Cheap:
Is Better than:
R̶i̶p̶t̶i̶d̶e̶
Thrift Shop
S̶o̶m̶e̶b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶I̶ ̶U̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶T̶o̶ ̶K̶n̶o̶w̶
B̶i̶g̶ ̶J̶e̶t̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶n̶e̶
Little Lion Man
Sex On Fire

Fixed.

This song, it may not be the Black Keys best song but it's still original and memorable unlike Chet Faker's song which no one will ever remember

Evolved from progressive innovative rock bands like Radiohead and Tool to lame boring generic shit like Chet Faker, you're either trolling or you have no clue about music whatsoever.

The Black Keys were voted number 2 only a couple of years back so it's not as if Triple J listeners don't acknowledge them. 'Fever' is just far from their best song and far from memorable also (in my opinion anyway).

Chet Faker coming at number one should be indictment on how shit 2014 was for music, not on the man himself. It's actually pretty funny reading people get so offended by such an inoffensive song.

There was no stand out song this year. Well, maybe Chandelier, but Kingsmill was too cool to play it (that's an entirely different argument). Chet Faker makes music that a heck of a lot of people enjoy. Talk Is Cheap isn't the greatest song of all time, and it won't stack up well against many of the number ones from a few years ago, but that doesn't mean you have to tear the guy to shreds because no one else did anything better.

Stand out song was my rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody in the shower.

5/10 songs I voted for made it, not bad. The only 2 I'm surprised didn't make it are Down On My Luck by Vic Mensa and Merewif by Willow Beats. Especially the latter, they gave it an absolute flogging.

Also lmfao at the 10+ pages of whinging in this thread. Special shout out to those of you who spent at least part of your Australia Day complaining that something as subjective as a music poll didn't fit your exact tastes on an online forum instead of just trying to enjoy the day. Every year it's the same 'Triple J has gone to shit, this top 10 is terrible, why didn't song x make it' etc. etc.

The countdown has been roughly the same quality since I've been listening to it, and even though I didn't vote for it I rate Talk Is Cheap the best number 1 since Knights of Cydonia. The bloke is getting torn to shreds in this thread, and I can see why he might not be to everyone's taste, but if you can't see he's an extremely talented musician you're kidding yourself.

What is this board's obsession with that Red Eyes song? It's a guy singing quietly behind the same ****ing drum beat on a loop for 5 long minutes. I don't think Talk Is Cheap is really a #1 quality song, but I'd rather listen to Chet Faker read the phone book than have Red Eyes as number 1.

Thanks again for sharing your list thewitness.

How did everyone go against the bookies yesterday? I had my first bad Aus day return in the six times I've bet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also lmfao at the 10+ pages of whinging in this thread. Special shout out to those of you who spent at least part of your Australia Day complaining that something as subjective as a music poll didn't fit your exact tastes on an online forum instead of just trying to enjoy the day. Every year it's the same 'Triple J has gone to shit, this top 10 is terrible, why didn't song x make it' etc. etc.

"Triple J used to be so much better when I was a part of the demographic that they were targeting"

"Triple J used to be so much better when I was a part of the demographic that they were targeting"

This is the worst countdown since last year's countdown. Back in my day JJJ played real bands like Powderfinger and Jet. Rabble rabble rabble.

Ha, didn't even matter that Swift was barred, everyone just goes rabid about the top few songs anyway. Unsurprising that Talk is Cheap won and I don't see why it should be so upsetting. Not a great song, but this hardly signals the death of Australian music/alternative culture/Australia's way of life.

Also to bring up a debate from a few pages back: Amity Affliction. Is there a lamer band getting around right now? I've seen them live and heard a fair few songs of theirs but can't really enjoy them. I like metal and hardcore and all that, but this shit with 2 singers, one who sounds like any other hardcore growler/screamer and one doing his best Tom DeLonge impression is just so cheesy. Those wanky piano intros on their songs too; it's like they draw cliches out of a hat to throw in their songs.

Thanks again for sharing your list thewitness.

How did everyone go against the bookies yesterday? I had my first bad Aus day return in the six times I've bet.

I did well enough but would have been much better if High won.

Also a little bit better if Vance Joy didn't scrape Georgia in.

Generally the best Aussie bands and artists have had success overseas like ACDC, INXS, The Church, Silverchair, Gotye, Kylie Minogue etc.

They were all original though unlike Chet Faker, there's nothing special about him that would make him a worldwide success.

I'm just filling in for Silent Alarm

Think you'll find Chet is doing quite well overseas actually, not to the extent of the others you named but still is going solidly

Don't be a smart arse, you know exactly what I mean.

What if I told you that next year's premiership is probably only a choice of 4 despite there being 18 teams eligible

You are clearly still cut.

What a stupid statement. If I didn't like the winner, I must have wanted the second place to win. Be honest...........you do realise how stupid that sounds don't you?

You are clearly still cut.

What a stupid statement. If I didn't like the winner, I must have wanted the second place to win. Be honest...........you do realise how stupid that sounds don't you?

I'm just gonna concede because I went back and read my original post and it was pretty clueless!

Would you really have rathered NOVA FM "High"? Just becase a song a slow doesnt mean it not good
Right, so it really is about who's authentic enough to make it!

It was always pretty obvious – it wasn't about Taylor Swift not being played ever on Triple J, because Peking Duk evidently got plenty of plays, it's about who is deemed cool enough or The Most Triple J.

Alrighty another aus day. I feel like music has been woeful this year, although I haven't listened to triple j that much.

Top 10 prediction:

Talk is Cheap - flip of a coin it seems from the stats, can't go past chetty
High - meh, ok tune, dance tracks usually poll a bit worse than appears on their social media votes
Stolen Dance - top 5 lock, most popular commercial crossover song
Cosby Sweater - every top 5 has a song I hate and this is an absolute rubbish song
Faded - can't explain the popularity of this song, but so many youngsters love this stuff
Take me over - borderline nova song, not triple j
Uptown Funk - same as above, only in with the popular vote, terrible video clip
1998 - song of the year for the nerds
Gold - everyone is underestimating this one, all the cool kids love the video clip
King and Cross - classic stereotypical j tune

Impressive guess!!

I had 1/10 tracks in the Hottest 100. My worst year ever, I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of 2014 prediction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back