Hottest 100 of the '10s

Remove this Banner Ad

All in all, some rubbish (as always) but I thought the top 10 bar was mostly solid (bar Big Jet Plane and Never Be Like You which are such dirges). Innerbloom copped some flak and, even though I wouldn't have it as a top 5 song of the decade, I don't mind it as a chilled, laid-back tune. Only got 2/10 (Covered in Chrome and Black Skinhead) in the top 100. I wasn't expecting much but I thought Bloodbuzz Ohio would've made it at least.

I didn’t do too badly. Had Born To Die and Bloodbuzz Ohio in the 200. Holocene, Dancing On My Own, Thinkin Bout You and The Less I Know The Better in the 100.

Amity Affliction and Birds Of Tokyo were the only two that I voted for that made the 200.

Way too much hip hop.

The winner is a bit forgettable but surprisingly a good representation of the last 10 years of Triple J. Not a bad winner because it's an easy listen. Just not a super memorable song.

Never knew the song from the Telstra ad wasn't just an advertising jingle.

Violent Soho with a huge effort coming 4th. Where was the other similar music though?

Amity Affliction and Birds Of Tokyo were the only two that I voted for that made the 200.

Way too much hip hop.

The winner is a bit forgettable but surprisingly a good representation of the last 10 years of Triple J. Not a bad winner because it's an easy listen. Just not a super memorable song.

Never knew the song from the Telstra ad wasn't just an advertising jingle.

Violent Soho with a huge effort coming 4th. Where was the other similar music though?

Yep what’s this obsession with shit hip hop. Kanye with 5 tracks. Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator....once upon a time you wouldn’t hear it on triple J. So much good music missed out.

Yep what’s this obsession with shit hip hop. Kanye with 5 tracks. Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator....once upon a time you wouldn’t hear it on triple J. So much good music missed out.

I guess people just, you know, like it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t care for hip hop either but there’s no denying it’s been the major genre of the last decade, particularly in the US.

AB Original missing out is a big surprise, have Triple J forgotten them already? They gave them album of the year over Gang of Youths, which was crazy, but show a level of support.

Would have loved a Magnolia or Covered in Chrome win.

The Less I Know The Better is an OK song but that's pretty much all I can say about it. It's not bad. It's just OK.

Plenty of great tunes spread across the 100 though.

Where my votes placed:

#3 - Arctic Monkey - Do I Wanna Know?
#4 - Violent Soho - Covered in Chrome
#6 - Gang of Youths - Magnolia
#12 - alt-J - Breezeblocks
#19 - Gang of Youths - Let Me Down Easy
#45 - The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
#49 - Tash Sultana - Jungle
N/A - DZ Deathrays - Gina Works At Hearts
N/A - FIDLAR - By Myself
N/A - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Gamma Knife

Last edited:
I think the fact it won proves literally the opposite...

I think the fact it won proves literally the opposite...

I wasn't listening to the top 20 but was checking along with the website. When it popped up as number 1 I literally thought to myself 'that's embarrassing, I have no idea what this song is'. Went to Spotify and turns out I was familiar with it but had no clue it was Tame Impala off the top of my head.

My point being, as a casual Triple J fan but huge music fan, I was very familiar with everything in the top 10 (maybe aside from that Arctic Monkeys track). So the reach of The Less I Know The Better might not be as strong as it isn't a hooky, radio hit. But if you think about it, that's probably a far better result because it won on its own merit as opposed to a novelty song like Thrift Shop getting over the line.

I still don't understand Do I Wanna Know's appeal. (And that whole album in general.) *shrugs*

But The Less I Know The Better is a jam and the most popular song from one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed artists of the decade. Not sure why there's any complaints/confusion...

I still don't understand Do I Wanna Know's appeal. (And that whole album in general.) *shrugs*

But The Less I Know The Better is a jam and the most popular song from one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed artists of the decade. Not sure why there's any complaints/confusion...
Do I Wanna Know is painfully dull. I like TLIKTB but still think Let It Happen is the superior song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might just be me but the list overall showed how weak 2010-2019 was music wise.

Maybe its my age showing but imagine doing a top 100 for the 90s? Would just blow this list away.
I mean most people will think that their formative decade would be the best really.

I think I'd much prefer a 2000s countdown compared to either 2010s or 90s.

Maybe its my age showing but imagine doing a top 100 for the 90s? Would just blow this list away.

Are you suggesting that a youth radio station was playing songs you liked more when you were young than when you're older?

Shocked to be sitting here.

I think it’s just the result of the ubiquity of music fracturing the market. In the past, your musical tastes were largely defined, and limited, by what you could hear on radio. Now, you can follow a genre you like forever down the rabbit hole. The end result is that there’s fewer super bands and the vote is spread across much more diverse sounds. The ‘90s Hottest 100s seem like they are full of non stop hits because they were all singles that were played extensively on the only forum available.

I prefer the ‘90s but there’s been great music on every decade. For mine, Tame Impala, Gang of Youths, Lorde are all great musicians, would have been worthy number 1s and would have been successful in any decade.

I think it’s just the result of the ubiquity of music fracturing the market. In the past, your musical tastes were largely defined, and limited, by what you could hear on radio. Now, you can follow a genre you like forever down the rabbit hole. The end result is that there’s fewer super bands and the vote is spread across much more diverse sounds. The ‘90s Hottest 100s seem like they are full of non stop hits because they were all singles that were played extensively on the only forum available.

I prefer the ‘90s but there’s been great music on every decade. For mine, Tame Impala, Gang of Youths, Lorde are all great musicians, would have been worthy number 1s and would have been successful in any decade.

I wonder if the 90s were the last big hurrah of big publisher music model?

Are you suggesting that a youth radio station was playing songs you liked more when you were young than when you're older?

Shocked to be sitting here.

If I didn't like youth music then I probably wouldn't be listening to jjj.

If I didn't like youth music then I probably wouldn't be listening to jjj.

Sounds like you're a fan of the music they play.

I don't actually disagree with you - a 90s list would be heaps better. But I suspect that's because we're likely a similar age (mid-late 30s?)

It's the dumbest criticism I read of Triple J from people of this age group. "The music was better when I was young." Well, yeah - because we're not the target demographic any more.

So listen to and appreciate it for what it is and discover some new stuff. Or don't. There's enough other options around with digital radio and streaming services nowadays that it's long past the days when it was really the only (national) option for discovering new music.

The ‘10s still dished up the Killers, Muse, Coldplay as big stadium bands. The only stadium acts this decade are pop like Adele and Ed Sheeran or nostalgia acts.

Then I think to the 90s. Ignoring U2, Madonna and Michael Jackson you had:

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NiN, Metallica, Soundgarden, Offspring, Audioslave, RAtM, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Live, Radiohead, Oasis, Faith no More, Korn, Prodigy, Blink 182, RHCP and whole bunch I missed because this is just off the top of my head.

What about Australian bands?

INXS, Midnight Oil, Crowded House, Silverchair, Grinspoon, Verve, Regurgitator, Jebediah, Living End, Powderfinder, Spiderbait, Superjesus, Killing Heidi and a bunch I have forgotten.

I reckon I have a decent argument.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're a fan of the music they play.

I don't actually disagree with you - a 90s list would be heaps better. But I suspect that's because we're likely a similar age (mid-late 30s?)

It's the dumbest criticism I read of Triple J from people of this age group. "The music was better when I was young." Well, yeah - because we're not the target demographic any more.

So listen to and appreciate it for what it is and discover some new stuff. Or don't. There's enough other options around with digital radio and streaming services nowadays that it's long past the days when it was really the only (national) option for discovering new music.

Guilty has charged - Gen X'er indeed.

While I do think my generation's music is better its not that I think the current music is bad.

Recently bought:

Hayley Mary - The Piss the Perfume
Joji - Run
Jack River - Dark Star
Jungle Giants - Heavy Hearted

So there are gems there.

These thoughts all came about since a average cover of 'Bulls on Parade' managed to get 4th on the top 100 2019. If you thought that was good imagine hearing the fresh original in '96. Would of blown your mind.

Guilty has charged - Gen X'er indeed.

While I do think my generation's music is better its not that I think the current music is bad.

Recently bought:

Hayley Mary - The Piss the Perfume
Joji - Run
Jack River - Dark Star
Jungle Giants - Heavy Hearted

So there are gems there.

Still can't believe The Jezabels didn't get anything in the top 200 :(

Well technically Julia Stone and Kimbra were both higher. Edit: and Kai.
And it is a legitimate question in most cases.

if women wrote/sung/produced better music that appeals to the audience of triple j, they'd poll better in these countdowns. fact is they don't and the voting public was a higher % of female than males for this countdown, so there's no sexism bias in votes to clutch at. it's absurd statements like this that cause so much fuss over nothing. the most popular/best/favourite songs of the fan base make the countdown, that's it. doesn't matter what sex the artist(s) are, good music is good music regardless tbh and it just so turns out that according to previously mentioned polling audiences, the majority is by males.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hottest 100 of the '10s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back