Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say that, but I definitely don't think there's as many interesting characters as GoT.

The two main girls are probably two of the better ones and they're still nowhere near as charismatic as a whole bunch of characters from the original.

The only two characters I can think of who are on par with GoT in commanding a scene are Otto and Larys. And to a lesser extent Aemond and Daemon maybe.

The rest all feel like Wish versions of GoT characters so far.

I'm enjoying HoTD but for me only Daemon and Otto are at the GoT level of characters.

Larys is good (in a sneaky bad way) but Littlefinger was better with his chaos is a ladder thing.
Alicent and Rhaenyra are well written and acted but Cersei was more charismatic.
There are no witty characters like Tyrion and Bronn. The Hound could be pretty funny.
Robert was larger than life until he met his tragic drunken end. Viserys was a weak, boring character and HoTD only really got going once he died.

While I somewhat agree with the above, it's hard to cast our minds back to the early seasons of GOT. I remember not really caring about what was going on until Ned got killed. I do think the first season was laser focussed on the main players, and only now are we starting to branch out to other characters (like the Kings uncle (?) who I don't think we'd seen before, and seems potentially a bit of a lighter character).

I think a meta explanation for that is that they were pretty cautious with S1 after the way GOT ended, and weren't sure if this would take off. Now that it's stuck the landing, they're able to expand and bring in a broader cast of characters. So I'm hoping over the course of this season we do get invested in a broader group of characters. I do agree though that because the nature of the show is not having clear 'good guys' it makes it tougher to care if someone dies. GOT started with 'good guys' then basically killed most of them off.

The fact that she actually decided to do it and risk it and she could just walk around in a busy place without anyone getting suspicious.

It's good for the suspense but we already had someone try to do a sneak in last episode and there's been a few in the series already.

Good point. And given the sneaky entrance before, surely security is and or was beefed up? Much like Parliament house in Canberra after yesterdays protests will be now. Or not.

I wouldn't say that, but I definitely don't think there's as many interesting characters as GoT.

The two main girls are probably two of the better ones and they're still nowhere near as charismatic as a whole bunch of characters from the original.

The only two characters I can think of who are on par with GoT in commanding a scene are Otto and Larys. And to a lesser extent Aemond and Daemon maybe.

The rest all feel like Wish versions of GoT characters so far.

Agreed.

Bronn
Tyrion
Varys
Littlefinger
Olynna Martell
a bevy of others too

cerebral characters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back