News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2083786

The hit didn't even get him high, but they'll still wanna make an example of him. 2 weeks is fair.
Well said.

arnold schwarzenegger top GIF by FILMTASTIC

I dont think it saves him at all, I think it puts him in the 4 down to 3 range because it was split second, in play and he's not a dirty player.
We'll see where the dust settles soon enough.

Either way, Port will get a glimpse of life post Houston should he indeed leave.

We move on because thats all you can do.
Split second is when you brace for contact, not when you've run 5-10m at pace and tuck your shoulder. Houston wasn't bracing for contact.

AFL could give Houston 3 weeks, punish him for the hit but allow him and save on legal costs fighting the case. Port accept, save on legal costs.
AFL then come out and officially ban the bump outright resulting in free kicks, and suspensions.

AFL have done their job.
The AFL fund Port. All they have to do is say no, you won't challenge it.

I dont think it saves him at all, I think it puts him in the 4 down to 3 range because it was split second, in play and he's not a dirty player.
We'll see where the dust settles soon enough.

Either way, Port will get a glimpse of life post Houston should he indeed leave.

We move on because thats all you can do.
Split second you say? Ok.
We will see where it settles.
I'm pretty confident it will be closer to 7 than 3.

Split second you say? Ok.
We will see where it settles.
I'm pretty confident it will be closer to 7 than 3.
Were you there, I was and had a perfect side on view.

As Houston approaches and right at the point where Rankine takes the ball, Dan actually stops flat footed momentarily a meter short of Izak before he elects to bump.
At that point Rankine is on a downward trajectory having taken the ball whilst off the ground.

I believe Dans initial hesitation contributed to the final impact as Rankine came down on him at the point of contac but it also lessened the collision speed.

Initial thoughts from the stands was typical Showdown rough play followed by the customery remonstration from 2 clubs that actually hate each other.
It didnt look like malice was involved, more like a poorly executed bump from a bloke who doesnt have it in his regular arsenal.
And theres probably something in that, that players use it so rarely these days due to possible repercussions that a perfectly executed bump is an exception.

If the AFL are serious the bump should be removed from the game altogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly clear cut this one.
Elected to bump. Knocked him out. Suspension.
Probably only 3 weeks though. Can't miss a potential grand final for that.
What? Can't miss a Grand Final after KO an opposition player with a front on bump? So if it was the Grand Final in 2 weeks time, he would have only received a week lol.

Mark Ricciuto knock on kemp was similar in 96, can't remember but i think it was play on and no suspension for roo.

What? Can't miss a Grand Final after KO an opposition player with a front on bump? So if it was the Grand Final in 2 weeks time, he would have only received a week lol.
Obviously not, but at 5 weeks out there is room for consideration and I believe considering Dans reputation/record in the game, there is room for a degree of leniency on this occasion.
I hope for his sake, so this isnt how he goes out at Port if he does decide to leave, that they give him that hope.

What's your point? I'm sure a lot of things was done 3 decades ago which can't be done now given what we know about concussion. Hall would be given a life suspension given his right hook on Staker now.
houston used his body as a battering ram and hall used his fist.... my point is the brutal but fair bump is now outlawed.

Obviously not, but at 5 weeks out there is room for consideration and I believe considering Dans reputation/record in the game, there is room for a degree of leniency on this occasion.
I hope for his sake, so this isnt how he goes out at Port if he does decide to leave, that they give him that hope.
What consideration? Rankine was never suspended and still got 4 weeks after causing a concussion with a clash of head, Houston hit Rankine on the head with his shoulder which meant he got himself in a position when the collision occurred were he eliminated himself getting injured. Only Rankine was in the vulnerable position and only he could have received a serious injury.

Rubbish that Maynard's was an unfortunate accident.

Can you honestly tell me if it was one of Maynard's team mates he was coming down on he would have dropped the shoulder like that ?

Every player this season is getting maynard loading on suspensions because the VFL look like clowns after he ended Bradshaws career and they let him off Scott free .
You’ll never win the Maynard argument with Collingwood flogs which tells you all you need to know about where they are coming from

I think this far out they'll pull up at 3. Any closer in and he'd miss yes.

So this is half as bad as Parker’s? It’s less than SPP’s one? It’s better than Wrights one which was in a marking contest? Don’t buy it, surely at the absolute minimum it’s a 4 week ban and that’s at the least should be 5.

So this is half as bad as Parker’s? It’s less than SPP’s one? It’s better than Wrights one which was in a marking contest? Don’t buy it, surely at the absolute minimum it’s a 4 week ban and that’s at the least should be 5.

Should be 4-5. But the tribunal takes into account finals, and potentially a grand final. Which is why I think he'll only get 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back