Universal Love How did your love for the RFC start?

Remove this Banner Ad

As an immigrant from the UK it was 69 and two new friends that were twins were both Tiger supporters, as we had just won the flag it was a no brainer, so I guess I've been on the bandwagon from way back.

Never looked back and would give up watching football rather than support another team, funny really, same friends Dad brought me back a Liverpool banner from the UK back in '72, for winning the first division as it was back then and I've supported them ever since as well, don't know where those two are now but I owe them a lot:thumbsu:

This is a great thread, well after my grandparents and children migrated to Australia from sri lanka my uncle began to get into Aussie rules, first in the family. After a Couple of years in OZ my uncle was a pasSenger in a friends car Coming back from a club and was killed in a car accident. Ever sInce then my cousins decided to follow the Tigers and l follow after. Never changed since

My Nan's father was a Richmond board Member way back when. She married a Collingwood Supporter with the stipulation that he must change to be a Tiger supporter. He did. So naturally her kids were Tigers and that was then passed onto me, and I have passed it onto my little one.

Its literally in our genetics :thumbsu:.

Being from WA i was a *shudder* WCE fan until around 95-96 (i was 10) when the Dockers came in. My mum n dad were massive East Freo supporters so they became Inaugural members, but i was never convinced by the lads in purple, red and green. After a couple years of reluctantly supporting them i one day caught a Richmond game on TV and was immediately hooked by Campbell, Daffy and the big Richo galloping around a wet MCG paddock.
Also was around the time i was doing a school project on the Bengal Tiger and i became quite interested in them.
Haven't looked back since.

I should clarify that back then there wasn't a lot of football shown on TV in country WA unless it involved the Dockers or WCE. So didn't really have much exposure to the rest of the league as a youngen.

My Mum and Dad are both Carlton supporters (although i think my Mum has now officially turned to Richmond, from years of me bad mouthing the blues) they would have loved for me to Cheer for the Blues , But the moment i saw a tiger from a young age i became obssessed with them and was never gonna barrack for anyone else in the world! Its something i still think we need to get more out of, how could a young kid not be impressed with tigers... the coolest animals in the world

Royality-and-Tigers.jpg

i won a richmond football when i was 18 months old at the local footy club raffle.so i grew up with a richmond footy in my hand.my dad (a carlton supporter)still regrets buying me that ticket.

I love it when these threads pop up, and love telling this story!

My old man is *shudder* a Carlton man, and has been all his life, so as a little tacker I was always a Carlton fan. As an impressionable youngster though, sometimes the smallest events can have a profound effect on your life.

Fast forward to Easter Sunday 1995, a very wet and windy day at Waverley Park. Growing up out that way, the family decided we’ll go to watch Richmond v Hawthorn. All the uncles (Mum’s brothers) are Richmond, and the three of them came along with the old man and myself. So I’m a little 6yr old, walking into the ground as a Carlton supporter, the uncles decide to have a bit of fun with me and spent all day teaching me the theme song. They had me fascinated by the YELLOW AND BLACK!

As it was so wet, everyone was crammed under the tiny undercover area at Waverley Park, and the atmosphere was electric. I’ve always loved wet weather footy, and that day was as intense as it gets. Without looking at the stats, I remember a heap of rushed behinds our way, and I’ll never forget that final score of Richmond winning 4.16.40 to 5.4.34, us being behind at every change then winning.

So the game finished, and the uncles were rapt that I knew every word to the song and was belting it out after the final siren. And ever since that day I’ve been a Richmond man, and as diehard as they come. Although I missed the Carlton flag in 1995, I have not an ounce of regret, and love the Tiges with all my heart.

Amazing to think that if we didn’t win that game, I’d still be a Carlton supporter, the sliding doors in life. I have tried so hard to get a copy of that game, but never get a response from the Name a Game guys and they stall whenever I call them up. If anyone has anything regarding that game I’d be forever grateful.

Here’s the stats if you want to have a look, 7 rushed behinds and we win by 6pts…classic!

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1995/101419950416.html

I love it when these threads pop up, and love telling this story!

My old man is *shudder* a Carlton man, and has been all his life, so as a little tacker I was always a Carlton fan. As an impressionable youngster though, sometimes the smallest events can have a profound effect on your life.

Fast forward to Easter Sunday 1995, a very wet and windy day at Waverley Park. Growing up out that way, the family decided we’ll go to watch Richmond v Hawthorn. All the uncles (Mum’s brothers) are Richmond, and the three of them came along with the old man and myself. So I’m a little 6yr old, walking into the ground as a Carlton supporter, the uncles decide to have a bit of fun with me and spent all day teaching me the theme song. They had me fascinated by the YELLOW AND BLACK!

As it was so wet, everyone was crammed under the tiny undercover area at Waverley Park, and the atmosphere was electric. I’ve always loved wet weather footy, and that day was as intense as it gets. Without looking at the stats, I remember a heap of rushed behinds our way, and I’ll never forget that final score of Richmond winning 4.16.40 to 5.4.34, us being behind at every change then winning.

So the game finished, and the uncles were rapt that I knew every word to the song and was belting it out after the final siren. And ever since that day I’ve been a Richmond man, and as diehard as they come. Although I missed the Carlton flag in 1995, I have not an ounce of regret, and love the Tiges with all my heart.

Amazing to think that if we didn’t win that game, I’d still be a Carlton supporter, the sliding doors in life. I have tried so hard to get a copy of that game, but never get a response from the Name a Game guys and they stall whenever I call them up. If anyone has anything regarding that game I’d be forever grateful.

Here’s the stats if you want to have a look, 7 rushed behinds and we win by 6pts…classic!

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1995/101419950416.html

How did you not switch back to Carlton when they won their flag* that year ?

How did you not switch back to Carlton when they won their flag* that year ?

A major reason I stuck with the Tiges beyond the Carlton flag (love the asterisk btw!) was the theme song. You play ours alongside their lullaby and a 6-7yr old knows what he likes.

And I loved watching that 1995 semi with an Essendon supporting school-mate.

The Tiges hooked me in, and although I wont say I've loved every minute of watching us, jeez I love the club.

A major reason I stuck with the Tiges beyond the Carlton flag (love the asterisk btw!) was the theme song. You play ours alongside their lullaby and a 6-7yr old knows what he likes.

And I loved watching that 1995 semi with an Essendon supporting school-mate.

The Tiges hooked me in, and although I wont say I've loved every minute of watching us, jeez I love the club.

So when the Blues* won the flag* your dad recognised you as a Richmond supporter ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when the Blues* won the flag* your dad recognised you as a Richmond supporter ?

Correct, he tried to get me back for a few weeks after it. But he knew he had lost me when we went to the G for our game in Round 15ish that season. Both of us were in the top 4 so was definitely a blockbuster, and I wore the Richmond jumper my uncles had got for me, and was shattered when we fell away in the last quarter (vividly remember Kernahan kicking a goal off the ground from the goal square that was the sealer).

I think the penny dropped for him that day.

I grew up in Country NSW in a big family we barracked and played rugby league only. We used to get a lot of our clothes from St Vincent De Paul my mother brought home a yellow t-shirt with Richmond letters ironed on it and it happened to fit me. When I worked out who Richmond was I adopted them as my VFL team. I had never seen a game played at that stage this was the mid 70s.

I have two young children and looking for ways to indoctrinate them have bought footies and jumpers for them we throw the ball around and yell go tiges when ever we catch it. They turn 5 next year so will be old enough to take to games so that im guessing this will help. Any other suggestions would be good.

Well, to be honest I was given a ultimatum as a tiny youngster, follow the Tigers or I was disowned :p

All fun and games of course and I didn't really need the ultimatum, I absolutely loved the Tiges since I was a baby. I would get excited at their song, I would get excited at their colors and I would get excited hearing the Tiger army (so I have been told). My first 4 games I went to (around 1990 when I was 5 years old) we played against Collingwood and we won every time. I remember how excited how passionate these older men were for these guys on the field and how much they all idolized them. It wasn't more than a year before Weightman became my absolute hero and idol.

The rest is history really. I am 28 now, apparently getting grey hairs around my ears (I have no doubts it was thanks to Richmond :p) and I have seen a lot of lows and very few highs but I am so glad I have been part of the ride, it has taught me a lot of things. I have learned patience, I have learned loyalty, I have learned commitment and I have learned trust. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I literally cannot wait to see a Tigers grand final. That is the day every tear, disappointment, dashed hopes will be completely worth it.

There seems to be one of these threads every single year with the same responses.

But seeings as though I like to talk about myself................I was born into a Richmond family and had no say in the matter, but i'm fine with that as I love the yellow and black to bits.

28 years old, and before last season had seen 2 finals series in that entire time, so i'm extremely excited for what the future holds with a strong off field team ensuring our on-field guys have every resource available at their disposal. We've finally started kicking goals on the recruitment front with Ellis, Vlastiun, Morris, Conca, Martin which is starting to pay dividends.

The fact that we are now a sleeping giant about to wake is the most exciting part of it all, as i'd hate to think how big we can get if the on-field success continues.

Fave players: Big Richo, Matty Rogers, Paul Broderick, Matthew Knights, Brendan Gale, Trent Cotchin, Steve Morris, Scotty Turner, Alex Gilmour (beer drinking buddy...i could have potentially derailed his career), Chris Naish and Alex Rance amongst others.

Well, to be honest I was given a ultimatum as a tiny youngster, follow the Tigers or I was disowned :p

All fun and games of course and I didn't really need the ultimatum, I absolutely loved the Tiges since I was a baby. I would get excited at their song, I would get excited at their colors and I would get excited hearing the Tiger army (so I have been told). My first 4 games I went to (around 1990 when I was 5 years old) we played against Collingwood and we won every time. I remember how excited how passionate these older men were for these guys on the field and how much they all idolized them. It wasn't more than a year before Weightman became my absolute hero and idol.

The rest is history really. I am 28 now, apparently getting grey hairs around my ears (I have no doubts it was thanks to Richmond :p) and I have seen a lot of lows and very few highs but I am so glad I have been part of the ride, it has taught me a lot of things. I have learned patience, I have learned loyalty, I have learned commitment and I have learned trust. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I literally cannot wait to see a Tigers grand final. That is the day every tear, disappointment, dashed hopes will be completely worth it.

Same ride as me, 28 years old and only 3 finals series.

Good that we've stuck it out!

Same ride as me, 28 years old and only 3 finals series.

Good that we've stuck it out!

Definitely so! The lack of success has been ever so disappointing, I get told on a constant basis how ruthless we were and then to live a life where you barely see it makes everything so grim. I probably dedicate my feelings far too much to the Tigers at times, but it is so fulfilling when you actually see the success like we are seeing now. In a way and it might sound silly, but I feel my life has gone on the same roller coaster the tigers have had. Massive downs and small victories but I can actually see some light at the end of the tunnel now.

Disregarding any results though, I am definitely proud to have gone the long road with Richmond whether they end up successful or not :)

Knowing there are other Tiger fans out there the same age that have seen the same amount of success as I have though is always comforting though. We know the pain!

I lived in Moonee Ponds then Essendon as a kid in the 60s and 70s literally across road from the Aberfeldie's (second best team song in Australia) ground but somehow my fave player was Darryl Baldock from the Saints.

But my Tigers barracking old man took us to the G and just got into following RFC. Saw so much success from the tiges in the late 60s early 70s that I thought it'd last forever. I loved the skills and toughness of the game.
Growing up in the EFC zone - they did give our primary school a couple of season's tickets...that we were supposed to share - but I was the only one interested in going to the footy. I liked the atmosphere of the big crowds at the G but the suburban footy grounds were great too ....and by the time I was a teenager Windy Hill became a good place to have a few CUB tins, with a couple of mates, see the occasional brawl both in the stands and on the field.

And before I left Melb for the FNC I lived in west foots during the 1990s - not far from Whitten oval - home to both Fitzroy and Foots for a while there - and enjoyed ducking down for the last qtr when they threw the gates open so I could see a bit of footy and have bit of kick to kick.

Now its occasional games at the Gabba the Gold Coast or even Western Sydney but they lack the atmosphere of a big crowd at the G with tiges winning and everyone going off their nut singing the club song.

Definitely so! The lack of success has been ever so disappointing, I get told on a constant basis how ruthless we were and then to live a life where you barely see it makes everything so grim. I probably dedicate my feelings far too much to the Tigers at times, but it is so fulfilling when you actually see the success like we are seeing now. In a way and it might sound silly, but I feel my life has gone on the same roller coaster the tigers have had. Massive downs and small victories but I can actually see some light at the end of the tunnel now.

Disregarding any results though, I am definitely proud to have gone the long road with Richmond whether they end up successful or not :)

Knowing there are other Tiger fans out there the same age that have seen the same amount of success as I have though is always comforting though. We know the pain!

I played local football with Steven Sziller (legend of a man), and it was pretty weird knowing that the last time we had played finals was when he was playing in 2001, it was then 2008.

I can't help but get nervous even when we are 4+ goals in front, because the Richmond of old still haunts me with our turnovers in the back line.

Guys like Houli are starting to restore my confidence in our transition though.

I'm actually a turn coat and didn't do it until I was in my early 20's.

I grew up in Essendon and my Dad is an Essendon supporter. He used to take me to Windy Hill games after 3 quarter time when it was free to get in the cheap skate.
When my parents split up he bought us memberships and we'd go to Essendon games but I remember a few times when I'd start supporting the other team if Essendon were losing. Other than Tim Watson coming back and the 93 GF I don't remember many other times I was actually that interested in Essendon.
Broke my leg in 2000 and lost interest in footy because I couldn't play for a while and got in to music instead.
Started getting back in to footy in about 2004 and only followed Essendon because I loved James Hird (the player not the coach!). After he retired I had no interest and didn't follow anyone really.

My Mum and Pa are the only Tigers in our family and when Richmond picked up Ben Cousins I was really impressed that a club would give someone like him a second chance even though it didn't work out.
I went to a game by myself and sat on the wing at the MCG that year. I looked down at Punt Rd and saw the yellow and black and everything just clicked. I texted my Mum and said how I get why she loves Richmond, tigers and the colours yellow and black.

I've never looked back since and Mum and I became members last year and went to most home games together when it didn't clash with my own footy on Saturday arvos.

I justify being a turn coat by the fact that I didn't have a choice and don't speak to my Dad and have a closer relationship with my Mum.

I do feel bad though because even though I was alive I missed the bad times that seems to bring Tiger supporters together because I was supporting someone else.

Born and bred off Lennox street in Richmond ..... Went to Abbotsford P.S, and at the time you were either Richmond or Collingwood. (no other teams were mentioned).

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love How did your love for the RFC start?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back