News How do we fix the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun article. Quite interesting, from some previous coaches.

Nathan Burke (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Harford (Carlton) and Trent Cooper (Fremantle) have all weighed in on the biggest issues facing the competition and what the AFLW needs to do to stay relevant.

‘SHOULD BE BETTER’: THE PRESENT

Seven weeks and eight games into 2024, we’ve seen the best and the worst of the AFLW.

There was Hawthorn’s frenzied win over Geelong in round 5, a game that was arguably the best spectacle in AFLW history. Then we had Friday’s snooze fest with two of the three goals kicked coming from 50m penalties.

“The competition hasn’t moved forward this year I don’t believe,” Harford said. “It might’ve stagnated. It might’ve regressed a little bit. But it hasn’t gone forward which is disappointing considering the investment of clubs and players.

“The fundamentals still aren’t good enough. Nine seasons in, I think that should be better.”

Burke and Cooper believe that the standard of the AFLW is tracking in the right direction but the gap between the best and worst teams is widening.
“The good teams used to win but they didn’t dominate like they are now,” Burke said.

The biggest factor is the continued strength of the AFLW’s ‘big three.’ Hawthorn has been the big mover this season, with all three coaches acknowledging the club’s rapid rise. But experts believe that only North Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide can win the premiership this season.

“It’s not healthy for the competition to have three teams dominating the top four,” Harford said. “The genie is out of the bottle. We’re not going back to 12 or 14 teams.”

Added Cooper: “I think most sides are 3-4 years away from genuinely challenging them. Those sides aren’t hanging on with an ageing list. They’re replenishing.”

Burke said that the AFLW’s current tiered payment system is part of the problem.

“There are maybe six players who can dedicate their lives to football,” he said. “The majority on $40,000 can’t.

“It increases the gulf between the better players and the lesser lights. How can they catch up when they also have to earn a living? We need to get rid of tiers and give each team a salary cap to be spread how they see fit.”

AFLW'S OTHER ISSUES​

Former coaches Nathan Burke (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Harford (Carlton) and Trent Cooper (Fremantle) have their say on other major issues facing the league.
DECLINE IN CROWDS
Harford:
“I don’t think COVID helped. I think we lost a lot of momentum. Expansion also saw a lot of inaugural players go to new clubs and that frustrated fans and then those expansion clubs took a while to find their feet. I don’t think we’ve found that sweet spot for the season and I don’t think anyone is to blame for that because they wanted to try something new and it would’ve looked like a good idea on the whiteboard."

Burke: “The venues and the times are not conducive to attracting great crowds. The AFL secretly increased the price to get into games by 50 per cent this year. In my opinion, sports supporters are creatures of habit. You work all week so on the weekend, you can go and watch your team play. We’re shooting ourselves in the foot."

Cooper: “Where the season is now, you suffer from the comparison factor. People are sometimes watching really poor AFLW games right next to a men’s final. The standard is so stark you ruin the chance of people watching again next week."

NEGATIVE COACHING TACTICS

Cooper:
"Clubs are pushing a forward up to stoppages to clog up the game. That's why we've seen a few ordinary spectacle because if they do get the ball out, they’re kicking it to what looks like an outnumber. They’re actually just the defender that didn’t follow their forward up to the stoppage. Coaches obviously want to win but there’s times in a fledgling competition that how the game looks is an important consideration. And then the AFL usually tries to make rules to counter what the coaches have done."

Harford: “If you’re consciously starting two or three players behind the ball regardless of the situation, it doesn’t make any sense to me. Nobody wants to play that style of game. No talented kid who gets drafted wants to play that style. We need to be conscious of what we put out there as an entertainment product."

Burke "The skills have gone up. You can’t embed a game plan without skills. One comes before the other. Everyone involved in the game has a responsibility to make it as attractive as they can. Balancing that with winning is a tough thing to do."

THE COMPRESSED FIXTURE

Cooper:
“A lot of clubs have actually handled it really well. There’s been some negative press about it but I’m not convinced some of these results are because of the compressed fixture. I wouldn’t mind them having another go at it next year to see if that was the case to see if we get some really good games and keep eyes on it while the boys are ongoing."

Harford: “I don’t know why we had a condensed fixture. I don’t know why we couldn’t start it a week earlier. But it is only a few weeks of the season and high performance teams can manage players. I don’t mind the concept of midweek footy. Maybe when we introduce the Tasmanian team and there’s a bye, there’s room for a mid-week game. I’d also love to see double-headers on Friday nights in different states and timezones."

Burke: “If a compressed fixture is lessening our product, at a time we’re really concerned about our product, then it makes sense not to do it again. Some teams have been training since as far back as January and February, doing 10km sessions. It’s no coincidence that some of them have been forced to call on top-up players because they’ve been hit by injury. Someone at the AFL needs to look at the training patterns of every team and how that correlates with injuries. We need to figure out how much training and how many games these women can sustain without breaking down and then we can grow it."

RESOURCING

Harford:
“There needs to be a bigger investment in coaching. That’s not just one head coach. That’s three or four who are committing basically full-time. Part-time, casual coaches won’t enhance the product very quickly. We’re getting the player side of things right with more hours and more money. But who’s there to coach them? That conversation is always overlooked."

Burke: “Assistant coaches are getting paid bugger all. For five seasons, I had 2/3 new assistant coaches because they loved it but they couldn’t sustain it on top of their everyday jobs."

WHEN, WHERE, AND FOR HOW LONG?

Summer or winter? Suburban venues or stadiums? And how quickly can we get to 17 games?

Where the AFLW sits within the calendar year is a Pandora’s box with attendance down by more than 60 per cent in the last five years.

“Every other sport in Australia avoids AFL finals time,” Burke said. “We chuck the AFLW right in the middle.

“Then to make matters even worse, AFLW coverage is diluted by trade week. So six of the 10 weeks are saturated by the AFL’s own products. To me, it’s ridiculous.”

Burke believes the season should start during the AFL mid-season bye rounds. Cooper would like to see it return to the summer months. Harford wants the AFLW grand final to be played during the AFL pre-finals bye or preliminary final weekend.

Overlapping seasons will pave the way for more double-headers and access to AFL venues.

“Marvel should hold a footy festival every Saturday with three games back-to-back,” Burke said “That leaves six games to be played at suburban grounds.

“We play at too many grounds at too many different times. I love it and I still can’t keep up with it. How does the casual fan cope?”

There’s already a direct link between suburban venues and the standard of football.

“They’re all windswept,” Harford said. “How can you expect to have quality ball movement in conditions that are less than desirable for men’s VFL footy, let alone women’s?”

All three coaches agree a 17-game home-and-away season is non-negotiable.

“Sides make finals because of soft draws and others miss finals because of tough draws,” Cooper said. “It’s crucial for the integrity of the competition.”

‘LOST FAITH’: AN IMAGE PROBLEM

Matilda Scholz, Ella Roberts, Zarlie Goldsworthy – the AFLW’s next generation is a goldmine of football and marketing potential.

But Burke doesn’t believe the league is doing enough to promote the game.

“Is there marketing?” he said. “They made a big thing last year of the $1 million spent on the new marketing campaign ‘We The W.’

“My perspective was ‘Well, what does that mean?’ They changed the official colour of the competition to charged coral and that was going to be a breakthrough.

“We had the women’s World Cup in Australia right before our season started which Channel 7 broadcast but the AFL said ‘No we don’t want to compete with that. We’re going to avoid it.’

“We had more eyes watching women’s sport in Australia than ever before. I remember watching The Ashes and seeing NRLW ads. Ever since then, I’ve lost some faith in the AFLW marketing department.”

New general manager of women’s football Emma Moore is said to be a good operator but she’s been largely unsighted since the season got underway. All three coaches are adamant that the AFL needs to come up with a clear path forward.

“What is the elite competition supposed to look like next year in 2025 and up to 2030?” Harford said. “They’re constantly making decisions on the run and that’s not good for the competition.”

But the plan needs to be flexible.

“We’d all like a vision that we can stick to for the next 10 years but in saying that, if they’re not confident in it, they might need to keep trying and experimenting until they are,” Cooper said. “There’s no point locking in a plan if it could end up the wrong one.”

Coaches were underwhelmed by the 2030 Women’s Football Vision a wide-ranging manifesto released three years ago that focused largely on grassroots. It’s hoped that at least 50 per cent of senior coaching roles will be held by women and that AFLW players will be the best-paid sportswomen in Australia.

“I was so excited when they said they had this plan,” Burke said. “But they prefaced it by saying something like ‘I know you want to know what the future of AFLW is but this is not about AFLW. This is about women’s football. So don’t ask me questions about AFLW.’

“It was the meeting we were all hanging out for and before it even started, they burst our bubble.”

For me its congestion.
I usually watch on delay so i can skip the 355 ball ups / throw ins per qtr because once it gets locked in, it usually takes 2-3 goes to get it out.
Even when it does get out, it only travels to the next contest and away we go again.

The basic handballing skills are not up to the pressure that's able to be applied. So it just creates more stoppages.
Its a day 1 problem that still exists now.

As for the competition / crowds....fans are far more fickle and won't attend or follow if the team is bad.
Having a situation where for 7 years vic clubs have been unable to re-build due to the drafting rules means that vic clubs have usually had 1 shot at it based on the initial List.
Which in turn makes crowds and support suffer as they decline.

North have bucked the trend by been very savy in their off field approach before they came in, so they are still riding that initial wave to a degree.
Melb only dropped this year. Which is a credit to them as well.

Unfortunately the AFLW is in a world of hurt in terms of equalization. This is a lag indicator and i'd be surprised if AFL house wasn't massively worried about how far they've let it go.

I did have a chuckle on the WCE board a few weeks back when a poster commented on how bad all the vic teams are that passed on Ella Roberts and allowed the WCE to grab her at 14 and that she is the greatest steal in draft history.....

At this point, the AFLW needs to pony up and decide whether this is a real comp or not and what they want it to be.

From the Age.

Those in charge of AFLW must act urgently to stop the competition from withering on the vine.

They have failed the participants for too long with poor decision-making, and AFLW players and coaches are frustrated.
The AFL doesn’t seem to know what to do except play into the hands of the competition’s critics with marketing gimmicks rather than supporting those involved with a clear vision, belief, investment and certainty.
Club people are concerned about the competition’s direction and the public, except from a cohort of passionate fans, seem disengaged – though it’s hard to know for certain, given the lack of transparency around television ratings.

Big decisions need to be made now and set in stone for a time to allow the game to grow as it should, given the talented female athletes now playing the sport, and those in the pipeline.
Those big decisions include the timing of the season, where and when games are played, and the amount the AFL is prepared to invest to foster coaching and development. Forget the sideshows. Focus on the basics and the rest will follow.
The condensed fixture, which finished on Sunday, is just the latest (and possibly the worst) in a line of knee-jerk decisions that reduce certainty for those playing, coaching and, importantly, watching the game as well as diminishing opportunities for player development – an essential need of a competition that expanded too quickly. The AFL agreed to extend the length of the season by one match for 2024, but was not prepared to start earlier, or push further into cricket season, hence the exhausting fixture crunch.

The impact of the condensed fixture can be reeled off like movie credits and points to administrators taking their eyes off the ball:

• Players unable to train properly between games to work on their own or the team’s performance. There was no time for much-needed match-simulation sessions, and those who weren’t picked were left to train alone. There’s no second-tier comp for them to play in, either.
  • Heightened risk of injury, with stars such as North Melbourne captain Emma Kearney now missing after hurting her hamstring during the opening minutes of her third match in nine days.
  • Concussion protocols – which require a concussed player to be sidelined for at least 12 days – forcing players to miss up to three matches in an 11-game season.
  • Fatigue – both mental and physical.
  • Coaches working around the clock to review, edit vision and prepare for the following game in four days, and with little time to work with individuals on their games.
  • A low football department cap forcing clubs to appoint part-time assistant coaches who need time off their day jobs to be at mid-week matches and prepare for them. This makes such jobs unappealing.
  • Fans forced to follow a schedule with all the rhythm of an uncle on the dance floor at far-flung, second-tier venues that are not conducive to good football, given that the AFL-owned Marvel Stadium, which received funding to improve facilities for women, is not being utilised. Few have been prepared to criticise the AFL publicly but North coach Darren Crocker couldn’t see the logic of staging a Roos home game against Port Adelaide at 5pm on a Friday at Whitten Oval. He wasn’t alone, given 943 people turned up.
  • A decline in the standard of umpiring after the men’s season as inexperienced officials adjudicate matches.

• We all know the best clubs create an environment for their players to perform in. But the list above works against that objective.
    It’s a credit to most of those involved at clubland that the AFLW is improving overall, given the structure in place is working against quality football.

There are blips that justifiably make headlines, such as Friday night’s snooze fest between the Western Bulldogs and the Bombers that was caused by defensive coaching and the impossible task of playing four games in just over a fortnight.
    The Western Bulldogs – with due respect – are not the team to be holding a prime-time spot in the schedule, let alone as a curtain raiser for the men’s elimination final, as happened earlier in the season.
    The Brisbane Lions, Hawthorn, Geelong, North Melbourne, Melbourne and Sydney play with flair and should be rewarded with prime-time slots that showcase the game’s best.

Their best is miles ahead of any team’s best three years ago, and is a look ahead to what the competition could look like in three years if the right decisions are made.

But the fixture is hopelessly compromised because of the short season, and the Cats sit outside the eight with a percentage of 100.9, jostling for position with Carlton, which has a percentage of 47.5.

Richmond’s Monique Conti, Essendon’s Madison Prespakis and Melbourne’s Kate Hore, as well as excitement machines such as Hawthorn’s Aileen Gilroy, are as good to watch as most AFL players.
    The match between Geelong and Hawthorn at GMHBA Stadium on the Thursday night before grand final day was a ripper. The ability to transition the ball and exit stoppage with hands has improved dramatically. Contested marks are no longer a rarity, and goals that would once have been celebrated in the AFLW are now the norm.
    But you need to have Herb Elliott’s stamina to have watched the game closely during the condensed period of the season.

There are also many players who need development to master the fundamentals, or show poise when they take possession, or understand the demands of an invasive sport at high intensity. Fast-tracking their progress needs to be high on the list of priorities for the AFL Commission when they review AFLW.

That might require the players to determine whether more games instantly is better, or more training and more development preferable, given the number of teams remains too high for the talent available.
    That might mean a reduction in the salary cap to allow more money in the football department cap, so clubs can attract coaches from the Coates Talent League (the boys and girls’ under-18 competition that feeds the drafts). The lifestyle and pay for a Coates Talent League coach is significantly better than it is for an AFLW assistant coach, who needs to work a non-football job while being involved in games played all over the place at variable times and in schedules that are uncertain from year to year. So why would they take a job in an AFLW program?
    A refocus may need the players to compromise on their demands for more games, which is possible if the vision is clear – less so right now.

The participants are not fools. Those who care about the game are tapped into what the core product requires to be successful.
    Many were left to wonder whether the AFL is as attuned to their needs when the AFLW launch at Melbourne Town Hall in late August heard from everyone but the players, limiting the football focus to a short grab of the excellent documentary featuring the Lions’ flag and announcing Erin Phillips as the premiership cup ambassador.
    Entertainers and administrators held the floor when anyone who has dealt with the participants in AFLW knows they are the best asset the game has.
    The players are now paid well and the commitment to getting better is there. They are outstanding athletes who work hard and adhere to a strong set of values that has improved the game.
    But the structure that surrounds them needs to improve to give everyone involved the best chance to succeed.

AFL fans are not idiots. They know a good game from a not-so-good game and can judge skills and effort, too. No amount of rhetoric or marketing will blind them to what they see with their eyes. They can see the standard of the game is improving when they find the time to watch, but their appetite for the game is not endless.

Most adhere to a football-watching rhythm, with that cycle ending for many on the last Saturday in September. There are only so many football shows, analysis and insight pieces, and matches a family can take before they move into spring. That needs to be recognised when deciding when and where more games of football can find an audience.

The AFL have received their well-deserved pats on the back for getting the competition up and running.

But that time has passed. Now is the time to reflect and consult, and lock in the months the season runs, where and when games will be played, and the amount of investment required to develop AFLW talent.

And tell the participants the plan before this season ends.

They have been stuffed around by poor administration for too long.

The newly appointed head of AFLW Emma Moore has a big job ahead.

They have responded. But talk is cheap, they need to put it into actions.

The AFL is committed to releasing a three-year vision for the future of the AFLW but will first focus on giving players and clubs certainty on the 2025 season.
In a wide-ranging interview with this masthead, new general manager of AFLW Emma Moore and AFL Executive General manager Laura Kane also revealed that:

• The AFL had not categorically ruled out the return of a compressed fixture
  • The competition is moving into a different development phase focusing on growth after navigating expansion
  • The AFL is happy with the standard of football, crowd numbers and general health of the AFLW
  • The AFL is well aware of criticism directed at the competition and is receptive to it
With the competition at a crossroads, AFLW players and coaches have long been frustrated with the lack of direction from AFL headquarters. Poor decision-making has failed the league since its inception. Despite several cries, the closest thing the competition has to a road map is the 2030 Women’s Football Vision, which focuses largely on grassroots football rather than the elite level.
The AFL knows that has to change and is committed to releasing a clear vision for the AFLW’s future. It’s expected that this vision will give certainty on key issues like the timing of the season and when and where games are played.

“You can expect that,” Kane said. “We know that’s what is needed.

“There’s no timeline on it but know that right now, we’re assessing every single thing that happen … every weekend, every venue, every club, every game.

“We feel really good about where we’re at but we won’t rush. But we’re not far away.”

Added Moore: “We have to be clear on our priorities, starting with what we do next year to make a change or make a difference. We will do the same thing again for a three-year strategy.

“We’ll do due diligence to provide certainty and to listen and to go into detail to come up with a vision.”
With a background in marketing and strategy, Moore has been tasked with leading the competition’s growth phase. The league is eager to make considered, not reactive decisions following a comprehensive post-season review.

“What we’ve done in previous seasons is different to what we need to do now,” Kane said. “We’ve gone from eight to 18 teams in a really rapid period of time.

“We’ve been in the expansion phase really for this whole time. We need to move now from expansion to future growth. That’s why Emma is here. That’s her expertise.

“The thoroughness will come from what are the big things that are important? What are the big things we can give certainty on? What are the things we can organically grow? And what are the things that we need to strategically grow?”
Moore has been in the job for nearly 14 weeks and has spent much of that time on the road visiting clubs and consuming as much football as she can. It’s her aim to get to at least two games, one home and one away, per club. The former high-level NAB manager has also been ‘mystery shopping’, dropping into matches incognito.

While Kane is the football brains of the operation, taking the lead on footy-specific issues, the footballers and the fans are central to Moore’s ambition for the future of the competition.

“Once you put the scaffolding and foundations in place, then it’s about the engine, the meat on the bones and the parts of it that are going to grow exponentially,” Moore said. “Those are really big decisions to make.

“That’s exactly what I’ve been working on. What we want to do is to set out what we’re doing in the 2025 season as well as what our ambition is for the game.

“I have some ideas about that which I’m working through but at this point, I don’t want to say ‘This is what we’re doing for the next 10 years.’ That would be remiss of me.”

The AFL doesn’t have answers yet on several contentious issues and has not ruled out revisiting a condensed fixture in 2025.
“We’ll look at it all in totality,” Moore said. “We need to look at what we learnt from the compression.

“We know there are some good opportunities in certain timeslots which we wouldn’t know if not for compression. And there are things we can think about like a floating fixture in the men’s finals to increase a one-club mentality or double headers.

“We also want to see the optimal version of teams. One thing clubs did like travelling once for multiple games.”

Kane did acknowledge the increased physical toll on players and the heightened risk of injury. Several clubs have dropped below the availability threshold this season and been forced to call on train-on players and stars like North Melbourne captain Emma Kearney have been ruled out with soft tissue injuries.

“A quick turnaround means players are missing more time than they usually would,” Kane said. “That’s a big consideration for us.

“We’ll listen to the players and fans to come up with a solution. But ultimately we want the best players playing as much as they possibly can.”
The home and away season is guaranteed to increase to 12 games next season. Further growth will be determined by whether the competition hits certain metrics – an average attendance of 6000 and an average television audience of 100,000.

The league has not exceeded an average crowd of 6000 since its third season in 2019, with attendance at games down by more than 60 per cent in the last five years. And while the AFL has agreed with the AFLPA to exclude certain “inopportune timeslots” from this year’s calculation, the 2024 season is all but certain to fall short of the metrics.

“From a CBA perspective, the metrics are clear,” Kane said. “We want it to grow as much as our players do. But the targets are the targets and we agreed to those with a long-term view.

“When we grow and when we hit the metrics, which we will, we know which direction to take.

“The (crowd) numbers are steady. We need to make sure that the offerings that our fans get at their club’s home ground and the rituals that we built into the fixture are recognisable. We want anchor points.”
Low scoring has continued to be an issue this season. Stoppages inside 50 have risen and shots on goal are down. Defensive coaching tactics have also been in the spotlight following a dour clash between Essendon and the Western Bulldogs, resulting in two of the three goals being scored from 50m penalties.

The AFL is however satisfied with the standard of football and believes that it will continue to improve.

“The footy is good,” Kane said. “Last year we made a suite of rule changes (increased quarter length, introducing interchange cap and boundary throw-ins being brought into the field of play) not dissimilar to what we did in the men’s to encourage scoring.

“There’s a whole heap of levers we implement to do that and it worked. We had a 40 per cent increase in scoring last year. We’ve seen in the past it takes a couple of years for us to really see the fruits of those changes.

“We’re always looking at scoring, margins, density, congestion. The change in the Bulldogs from last week to this week is massive.

“We want every game of football to be fast-paced, exciting, entertaining, close and high-scoring.”

Kane also believes that the decision to move to a national draft, the fact that all but one state is currently represented in the top eight and the race between Hawthorn and Brisbane for the McClelland trophy demonstrates that competitive balance is being achieved despite the continued strength of the ‘big three’ in the Lions, Adelaide and North Melbourne.

“We want fans turning up to their team’s games and thinking they can win,” she said. “That takes time.”

There’s no decision yet on when list sizes will increase and by how much, with the AFL currently exploring state league uniformity to give greater opportunity to non-selected players.

Experts have criticised the AFLW for failing to adequately market the competition. Moore said one of her focuses would be trying to tap into and convert the wider football-supporting public into AFLW aficionados.

“The awareness of W is huge,” she said. “There’s always more work to be done when it comes to every part of the strategy.

“There’s something about unlocking the emotional piece and passion that every football fan has. How do we get this one club feeling in our marketing, our communications and our fans?”

The AFL is acutely aware of the intense criticism it’s been subject to this season, some going as far as declaring that the league has set the competition up to fail. And despite being accused of not making themselves publicly available to speak on the state of the AFLW until now, both Kane and Moore are listening to the scrutiny.

“There will always be noise,” Kane said. “It’s a privilege to respond to that noise because it means that people care.

“There’s no shortage of feedback but we wouldn’t have it any other way. We will make it better.”

Added Moore: “I take it seriously. It’s on me to understand where that passion is coming from.

“Most of the time, it’s coming from a place of ‘We want this to be the best thing it can possibly be.’ I think people should say what they think.”

Having witnessed the growth of the AFLW from both sides of the coin after starting her career in football at North Melbourne, Kane is confident in the health of the competition.

“It’s a competition we’re really proud of,” she said. “We’re now the largest employer of female athletes in the country.

“We have 540 women playing across 18 clubs and we need to take a moment every now and then to reflect on the power of women’s sport and the movement that’s occurred.

“We want the best athletes, the best coaches, the best administrators in the country to pick our game. We want to be the first choice for everyone.

“One in 20 Australians is a member of an AFL club. We want those 1 in 20 plus the other 19 to get to know AFLW if they don’t, love it even more if they do but also love it, attend it and understand that it doesn’t necessarily need to be the same as (AFL).”

From the Age.

Those in charge of AFLW must act urgently to stop the competition from withering on the vine.

They have failed the participants for too long with poor decision-making, and AFLW players and coaches are frustrated.
The AFL doesn’t seem to know what to do except play into the hands of the competition’s critics with marketing gimmicks rather than supporting those involved with a clear vision, belief, investment and certainty.
Club people are concerned about the competition’s direction and the public, except from a cohort of passionate fans, seem disengaged – though it’s hard to know for certain, given the lack of transparency around television ratings.

Big decisions need to be made now and set in stone for a time to allow the game to grow as it should, given the talented female athletes now playing the sport, and those in the pipeline.
Those big decisions include the timing of the season, where and when games are played, and the amount the AFL is prepared to invest to foster coaching and development. Forget the sideshows. Focus on the basics and the rest will follow.
The condensed fixture, which finished on Sunday, is just the latest (and possibly the worst) in a line of knee-jerk decisions that reduce certainty for those playing, coaching and, importantly, watching the game as well as diminishing opportunities for player development – an essential need of a competition that expanded too quickly. The AFL agreed to extend the length of the season by one match for 2024, but was not prepared to start earlier, or push further into cricket season, hence the exhausting fixture crunch.

The impact of the condensed fixture can be reeled off like movie credits and points to administrators taking their eyes off the ball:

• Players unable to train properly between games to work on their own or the team’s performance. There was no time for much-needed match-simulation sessions, and those who weren’t picked were left to train alone. There’s no second-tier comp for them to play in, either.
  • Heightened risk of injury, with stars such as North Melbourne captain Emma Kearney now missing after hurting her hamstring during the opening minutes of her third match in nine days.
  • Concussion protocols – which require a concussed player to be sidelined for at least 12 days – forcing players to miss up to three matches in an 11-game season.
  • Fatigue – both mental and physical.
  • Coaches working around the clock to review, edit vision and prepare for the following game in four days, and with little time to work with individuals on their games.
  • A low football department cap forcing clubs to appoint part-time assistant coaches who need time off their day jobs to be at mid-week matches and prepare for them. This makes such jobs unappealing.
  • Fans forced to follow a schedule with all the rhythm of an uncle on the dance floor at far-flung, second-tier venues that are not conducive to good football, given that the AFL-owned Marvel Stadium, which received funding to improve facilities for women, is not being utilised. Few have been prepared to criticise the AFL publicly but North coach Darren Crocker couldn’t see the logic of staging a Roos home game against Port Adelaide at 5pm on a Friday at Whitten Oval. He wasn’t alone, given 943 people turned up.
  • A decline in the standard of umpiring after the men’s season as inexperienced officials adjudicate matches.

• We all know the best clubs create an environment for their players to perform in. But the list above works against that objective.
    It’s a credit to most of those involved at clubland that the AFLW is improving overall, given the structure in place is working against quality football.

There are blips that justifiably make headlines, such as Friday night’s snooze fest between the Western Bulldogs and the Bombers that was caused by defensive coaching and the impossible task of playing four games in just over a fortnight.
    The Western Bulldogs – with due respect – are not the team to be holding a prime-time spot in the schedule, let alone as a curtain raiser for the men’s elimination final, as happened earlier in the season.
    The Brisbane Lions, Hawthorn, Geelong, North Melbourne, Melbourne and Sydney play with flair and should be rewarded with prime-time slots that showcase the game’s best.

Their best is miles ahead of any team’s best three years ago, and is a look ahead to what the competition could look like in three years if the right decisions are made.

But the fixture is hopelessly compromised because of the short season, and the Cats sit outside the eight with a percentage of 100.9, jostling for position with Carlton, which has a percentage of 47.5.

Richmond’s Monique Conti, Essendon’s Madison Prespakis and Melbourne’s Kate Hore, as well as excitement machines such as Hawthorn’s Aileen Gilroy, are as good to watch as most AFL players.
    The match between Geelong and Hawthorn at GMHBA Stadium on the Thursday night before grand final day was a ripper. The ability to transition the ball and exit stoppage with hands has improved dramatically. Contested marks are no longer a rarity, and goals that would once have been celebrated in the AFLW are now the norm.
    But you need to have Herb Elliott’s stamina to have watched the game closely during the condensed period of the season.

There are also many players who need development to master the fundamentals, or show poise when they take possession, or understand the demands of an invasive sport at high intensity. Fast-tracking their progress needs to be high on the list of priorities for the AFL Commission when they review AFLW.

That might require the players to determine whether more games instantly is better, or more training and more development preferable, given the number of teams remains too high for the talent available.
    That might mean a reduction in the salary cap to allow more money in the football department cap, so clubs can attract coaches from the Coates Talent League (the boys and girls’ under-18 competition that feeds the drafts). The lifestyle and pay for a Coates Talent League coach is significantly better than it is for an AFLW assistant coach, who needs to work a non-football job while being involved in games played all over the place at variable times and in schedules that are uncertain from year to year. So why would they take a job in an AFLW program?
    A refocus may need the players to compromise on their demands for more games, which is possible if the vision is clear – less so right now.

The participants are not fools. Those who care about the game are tapped into what the core product requires to be successful.
    Many were left to wonder whether the AFL is as attuned to their needs when the AFLW launch at Melbourne Town Hall in late August heard from everyone but the players, limiting the football focus to a short grab of the excellent documentary featuring the Lions’ flag and announcing Erin Phillips as the premiership cup ambassador.
    Entertainers and administrators held the floor when anyone who has dealt with the participants in AFLW knows they are the best asset the game has.
    The players are now paid well and the commitment to getting better is there. They are outstanding athletes who work hard and adhere to a strong set of values that has improved the game.
    But the structure that surrounds them needs to improve to give everyone involved the best chance to succeed.

AFL fans are not idiots. They know a good game from a not-so-good game and can judge skills and effort, too. No amount of rhetoric or marketing will blind them to what they see with their eyes. They can see the standard of the game is improving when they find the time to watch, but their appetite for the game is not endless.

Most adhere to a football-watching rhythm, with that cycle ending for many on the last Saturday in September. There are only so many football shows, analysis and insight pieces, and matches a family can take before they move into spring. That needs to be recognised when deciding when and where more games of football can find an audience.

The AFL have received their well-deserved pats on the back for getting the competition up and running.

But that time has passed. Now is the time to reflect and consult, and lock in the months the season runs, where and when games will be played, and the amount of investment required to develop AFLW talent.

And tell the participants the plan before this season ends.

They have been stuffed around by poor administration for too long.

The newly appointed head of AFLW Emma Moore has a big job ahead.

A lot of words, but none on one big area that has turned off a lot of people, that is AFL sanctioned player raids and an inability to get proper compensation for those raids. The need to top up clubs from the existing player pool ceased a long time before the AFL handed the swans Molloy. That raid is just one poorly thought out raid in a long list of poorly thought out raids.

A lot of words, but none on one big area that has turned off a lot of people, that is AFL sanctioned player raids and an inability to get proper compensation for those raids. The need to top up clubs from the existing player pool ceased a long time before the AFL handed the swans Molloy. That raid is just one poorly thought out raid in a long list of poorly thought out raids.
The raids were ridiculous. I don't think any club got randsacked as much as we did, especially early. And we go nothing for them. They should have been treated like trades or FA. Like yes we got compo for chloe -- eventually, but should have been given something far greater than what we recieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

News How do we fix the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back