How long have you

Remove this Banner Ad

Family has always supported Geelong, but parents never went to games, been a Cats supporter since October 8 1981 :) probably got into it more when my older brother started going. Luckily for me as a family we used to go on holidays during September. I never saw Geelong lose thos premierships, but listened on the radio. So the first premiership I saw Geelong play in I got tickets to and got to see a win. Doesn't get any better than this.

it surely doesnt!

and what an awesome first grand final to see!! What a (blue and) Whitewash!!

27 frustrating years, but all of a sudden its been worth it

ken oath! im sorta half glad we didnt win a flag until now, because now i can party like never before, and each flag defeat makes this taste ever so sweet.

I walk into the service station and the bloke behind the counter shakes my hand (as im still wearing my guernsey of glory) with tears in his eyes, gotta love it.

Sacrifices his lunch break to go down and buy a premiership tee and goes hungry because of it...

Thankyou Geelong Football Club. Thankyou.

I used to barrack for the bombers growing up until about 6 months before I moved to Geelong (in 2002) I started barracking for the cats... there's something about this place :)

Now I hate Essendon with a passion! I've watched these kids grow into men the past 5-7 years, they're better than the Brisbane Lineup (with the exception of Voss - oh what a star!)

stuff a threepeat a foursome is heading this way (C.o.c.k.y arn't I?)

Lol, same here. But at least I can say I have never barracked for them!! Shame on you, VCV, shame.. :p

I've been a Cats supporter for 15 years (member for 13, since 1995).

Was a cat boy from birth...so 22 years now. I very vaguely remember the 89 grand final. In fact I think that's when I learned my first swear words from Dad :eek:

i remember telling mum when i was young that i was going to go for the cats because 'cats are cute' lol
she's a geelong supporter and naturally my sister became a geelong supporter, my brother was too until dad brainwashed him into following the bombers!
from when i was young went to all the games geelong played at good old waverley with the family.

ah fond memories of my early footy watching days....me and my sister waving around a piece of paper which we'd spent hours making with pictures of cats on it and the geelong colours and 'go cats' and 'ablett!' written everywhere!

Was a cat boy from birth...so 22 years now. I very vaguely remember the 89 grand final. In fact I think that's when I learned my first swear words from Dad :eek:

the moment i remember the best was (was it shane?) hamilton about 80 metres out, got a free or something and took half a minute to take his kick

"kick the bl**dy thing!" If he played on or kicked it straight away we might have got up. The rest is folklore...

the moment i remember the best was (was it shane?) hamilton about 80 metres out, got a free or something and took half a minute to take his kick

"kick the bl**dy thing!" If he played on or kicked it straight away we might have got up. The rest is folklore...

David Cameron, forty five metres out... Ian Robertson's yelling, "Panic Stations!".

I was a Geelong kiddie from birth, Dad and I both forgave our respective parents on Saturday, so that's technically 21 years, but I first went footy-mad in 1993.

'93 - I grew up believing that 7.5 goals a season was pretty average for a full-forward.

Since I was a kid - can't remember when it really began, but it was a choice between Geelong and Collingwood, and we had some bloke named Ablett, so I think that's how it panned out. Plus, my dad was a bit more into the footy than mum was, so I got taken down to Kardinia Park every now and again.

I thought I'd been born into a curse, but it's worked out pretty well now!

I was old enough to read the papers in 1962 and got the idea then (when we beat the bullies by lots one day) that this footy might be a good game to get into. In 63 we won! how easy is this I thought!!!
I was old enough to head off alone to the MCG to watch us lose the '67 GF and was working in WA in 89 for that dose of agony. In 92 and 94 I got to the G again only to have it all end in tears. In 95 I could not raise the courage to attend but this did not help the pain when it duly arrived.

All of a sudden the above is just a great piece of history for me and a testament to the courage of the loyal supporters and the club and the city.

I said to the kids after the last loss that I will not drop off the perch until we win one, so I guess I had better keep up with the heart pills and drive carefully as I head back home!

go cats 2008

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From birth - 40 long years!! I dont remember ever not barracking for Geelong. My family has been in Geelong since the 1850's so I guess it was well in the blood by the time I came around.

4th generation Cats supporter. My grandparents lived in Geelong half their lives. Lived through the 4 losses. Both passed away in recent years. As a family of Cats fanatics, we dedicated the win to them.

I've been bleeding blue and white for 27 years now.

Every tear, every heartache, every tradgedy has finally come full circle.

SR is a happy man this week.

WE ARE GEELONG!!!

Since 1950 when I started state school in the bush with Geelong written as "Gelong" inside my school bag. Most have no idea what a thrill our age group have got from season 2007. Too young to recall 50s flags and 2007 seems more brilliant than 1963.

I was born so my dad had a little buddy to follow the cats with. So thats 25 years. Well.. Except for that year back in 1996 when i thought i was too cool and awesome to like AFL. Like.. Oh my god.. Like as if you would like that stupid sport anyway.. Its all about drinking and hanging with my friends.. Im way too cool for AFL...

But I snapped out of that when the season started again LOL:rolleyes:

Followed them since 86, when I was 11.
Born and raised in Sydney, and being a youngster had grown up on Rugby League.

Saw my first game (in which the Cats played) in 86, and thought, "how much better is this game than league!". In that match, the Cats won from behind (no idea who it was against), and I thought, "I'll go for them!".

Back then though, there weren't too many games on TV in Sydney, so it was much harder to follow.

I took a trip down with my dad (a Swans supporter) to the Cats v Swans game on June 30 this year, for my first ever trip to Geelong, and my first ever game at KP. I loved it!!

And now, 21 years on, I can rub my Swans-supporting bandwagon friends' faces in the mud.
WE ARE GEELONG!!

Born into it - my earliest memory is of watching the footy with Dad and being told in no uncertain terms that I supported Geelong, not anyone else. I only remember vague shadows of '92 and '94, but in '95 I remember both the finals I went to - curshing the Dogs at the G (my first night game), then the Tigers at Waverely. I didn't go to the GF, though, and instead sat in my grandparents living room trying not to cry until Mum said 'Bob [Grandad], it's ok if you cry' - and I felt vastly better, knowing that everyone around me shared that crushing pain.

born in VIC and raised in WA by a family who all support a different VIC team. The support of Geelong kicked in watching the 89 Grand final and a bloke called ablett who kicked a few that day...been a lonesome cat in a sea of blue and yellow ever since. This summer is looking way better than the last!!

for 20 years.. ever since i was born it was forced one me.. a fourth generation supporter, and the only reason anyone in my family goes for Geelong is because my mum's grandpa played in the 37 side, otherwise we would all possibly be Collingwood or Richmond *shudders*

I hated my parents for making me go for geelong until now.. what a great feeling!

all my family either go for carlton or essendon.
when i was 4 my dad took me to an essendon/hawthorn game and i still remember sitting there eating a meat pie and having a ball but he never put any pressure on me to pick essendon... he was happy for me to choose for myself.
and every summer we'd go up to portarlington and have the best weeks of the year up the coast. so when i was 5 and realised that geelong had a football team..well naturally i supported the place which had the best memories for me.
been supporting them for 15 years and the best birthday present i ever got was when i turned 18 and some of my mates bought me a membership.
and even better at the end of last year i made a friend who's a massive geelong supporter so this year i actually had someone to go to games with instead of going by myself.
my cousin goes for geelong now...thanks to my interference or else he'd be a carlton supporter. so hopefully we start a geelong branch of the family.

My first game was in 1977 at Kardinia Park. Can't remember much about it (I was 5), except we won, the Hickey stand was just piles of dirt, and we sat on the players' race.

But the real obsession began in 1986. So like a few of us, last Saturday was long overdue. And oh so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Remove this Banner Ad

How long have you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back