• 7-9

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • 10-14

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • 15+

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're asking on the internet whether your habits are ok you probably already worry they aren't

I'm not asking anything on the internet. In the context of this discussion, I referred to an Australian government website that gives official advice on whether someone might have a problem with alcohol. There's two main aspects to it - personal health and whether it's impacting your life, such as relationships, finances, employment etc.

The health advice differs per country. Belgium's low health risk recommendation is more than twice the level of alcohol of Australia's. It reflects that the recommendations are subjective and not wholly based on science. For example, in Australia, the guidelines committee chose a threshold for low risk as being a one-in-100 risk of dying from alcohol-related causes - because it's the same level of risk associated with driving a car. That's pretty arbitrary. Riding a motorbike or bicycle would be higher risk.

Easily put down 15+ pints Saturday. Rough Sunday morning

Id have 7-10 big days/nights a year where it's 25+ standard drinks otherwise don't drink. The test match leading into xmas week is a bit of a kick to the liver but winter I dont drink really. If I go out for dinner I have a soft drink or water, dont see a point having 1-2 tbh. Pepsi tastes better and you wont feel anything off 1-2 beers so have the better tasting drink IMO. Classic binge drinker mentality I guess

Easily put down 15+ pints Saturday. Rough Sunday morning

Id have 7-10 big days/nights a year where it's 25+ standard drinks otherwise don't drink. The test match leading into xmas week is a bit of a kick to the liver but winter I dont drink really. If I go out for dinner I have a soft drink or water, dont see a point having 1-2 tbh. Pepsi tastes better and you wont feel anything off 1-2 beers so have the better tasting drink IMO. Classic binge drinker mentality I guess
Yep this I'm an either have 0 or 8 +...

So try to just stick with the zero most if the time.

Being a fat campaigner is still worse for you yet people demonize grog and not laziness. I'll never understand the free ride obesity gets socially

View attachment 2126406
Obesity CAN be a complex issue and its pretty tough to mandate alot to combat it given its causes are pretty varying (including alchohol consumption).

Cigs and Booze can be taxed and advertised against pretty simply as theyre singular.

Broadly i agree with you and there was a period of time where the morbidly obese were celebrated for body positivity which, i understood but was pretty ****ed.

Obesity CAN be a complex issue and its pretty tough to mandate alot to combat it given its causes are pretty varying (including alchohol consumption).

Cigs and Booze can be taxed and advertised against pretty simply as theyre singular.

Broadly i agree with you and there was a period of time where the morbidly obese were celebrated for body positivity which, i understood but was pretty ****ed.
Tax the arse end out of high fat/sugar foods like we do smokes/grog.
Tax UberEats - people so lazy they can't go get their own food
I'm only 34 and the odd one out still playing sport in my group. Laziness is ****ed in society and yet everyone is just OK with it, it's maddening tbh

The body positivity stuff is dumb as rocks. Only lazy/fat people went along with this

Being a fat campaigner is still worse for you yet people demonize grog and not laziness. I'll never understand the free ride obesity gets socially

View attachment 2126406
Society culturally with younger people has moved a fair bit away from heavy drinking even in Australia I think. Eating junk and being massively unhealthy is just getting worse.

The former is very often looked down on now and criticised, but the latter not so much.

I mean its still gone up but I reckon the stuff at the supermarket that has definitely stayed relatively cheaper is the rubbish, the things people really need like fruit, veges and by far the worst of all meat is getting more and more unaffordable.

Society culturally with younger people has moved a fair bit away from heavy drinking even in Australia I think. Eating junk and being massively unhealthy is just getting worse.

The former is very often looked down on now and criticised, but the latter not so much.
We had a work lunch last week and someone asked if we were ubering there

It was about a 10 minute walk. How would uber even enter your mind ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tax UberEats - people so lazy they can't go get their own food
I'm only 34 and the odd one out still playing sport in my group. Laziness is ****ed in society and yet everyone is just OK with it, it's maddening tbh

The body positivity stuff is dumb as rocks. Only lazy/fat people went along with this
So perfectly healthy people who exercise and occasionally like fast food get whacked? What about other issues that cause obesity? Also food is kinda required to live and many low income people rely on fast cheap food. No one needs booze and cigs.

I think youd be much better to incentivize active healthy lifestyles than tax junk food but even then its not quite as simple.

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you here just noting that alchohol and cigs are much more directly linked and easy to legislate against than the issues causing the obesity epidemic.

So perfectly healthy people who exercise and occasionally like fast food get whacked? What about other issues that cause obesity? Also food is kinda required to live and many low income people rely on fast cheap food. No one needs booze and cigs.

I think youd be much better to incentivize active healthy lifestyles than tax junk food but even then its not quite as simple.

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you here just noting that alchohol and cigs are much more directly linked and easy to legislate against than the issues causing the obesity epidemic.
I've long said this but it'd just never happen while slugging Maccas is possible. Their food isnt even cheap, like at all, so not sure this excuse works anymore tbh.

I'd prefer sport registration fees/gym memberships etc be tax deductible or something but pretty unlikely to ever happen

I've long said this but it'd just never happen while slugging Maccas is possible. Their food isnt even cheap, like at all, so not sure this excuse works anymore tbh.

I'd prefer sport registration fees/gym memberships etc be tax deductible or something but pretty unlikely to ever happen
What would never happen?

Im not sure about the cheap thing TBH but im also not exclusively referring to maccas (you can get their family box for like $30 i think and feed a family of 4 or 5 plus the convenience for shift and long hours workers to grab it on the way home and not need to shop/cook with very little time).

I get your point but i think youre massively oversimplifying it.

Cigs and Alchohol are a luxury (as is playing a sport/gym memberships). Food is a staple.

Then you have the various different factors that contribute to obesity, its not JUST people eating shit food.

Obesity is alot more complex (broadly) than cigarettes and booze, thats the main issue with tackling it.

What would never happen?

Im not sure about the cheap thing TBH but im also not exclusively referring to maccas (you can get their family box for like $30 i think and feed a family of 4 or 5 plus the convenience for shift and long hours workers to grab it on the way home and not need to shop/cook with very little time).

I get your point but i think youre massively oversimplifying it.

Cigs and Alchohol are a luxury (as is playing a sport/gym memberships). Food is a staple.

Then you have the various different factors that contribute to obesity, its not JUST people eating shit food.

Obesity is alot more complex (broadly) than cigarettes and booze, thats the main issue with tackling it.
Incentivising healthy living over taxing bad. Its much more likely they tax fast food than give a subsidy for a gym for example

My initial point is/was obesity somehow largely gets a free pass but grog gets demonized. It's wrong, its just as bloody bad for you to be fat as hell, do something about it

'oh you drink too much, that's a problem' says the 110kg lady without a hint of irony

How come every fat person who apparently has a medical conditions is also lazy and fuark and eats terribly? I’ve never come across one who makes an effort.

Incentivising healthy living over taxing bad. Its much more likely they tax fast food than give a subsidy for a gym for example

My initial point is/was obesity somehow largely gets a free pass but grog gets demonized. It's wrong, its just as bloody bad for you to be fat as hell, do something about it

'oh you drink too much, that's a problem' says the 110kg lady without a hint of irony
Yeh gotcha, agreed on the incentivise (although i would note as a gov employee were being offered something called a fitness passport which is a good initiative).

I broadly agree with you on the rest but it is a bit more complex overall (so is alchohol consumption though really).

Remove this Banner Ad

How many drinks do you have per week?

Back