• 7-9

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • 10-14

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • 15+

Votes: 19 20.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a little off topic but a MacDonalds 'Bundle for 4' – 4 burgers, 4 medium Fries, 4 medium Drinks, 10 nuggets - costs $39.95. Eating that regularly for dinner is not good for your health or cheap. You could rustle up a more nutritious meal for half that cost in not much more than the wait time at the drive through.
Bundle for 2 which could feed a young family of 4 is $24.95 AND again, the time, if you work 12 hour shifts or shift work in general but one stop, no cooking. Time is a privilege.

Mate drink whatever you want just don't pretend it's actually good for you

I didn't claim any level of alcohol consumption is good for you. I referred to an Australian government website that gives official advice on whether someone might have a problem with alcohol.

As I said, the recommendations are subjective and not wholly based on science. You need to look at the relative risk compared to other lifestyle choices. Smoking, junk food, no exercise, riding a motorbike.

I didn't claim any level of alcohol consumption is good for you. I referred to an Australian government website that gives official advice on whether someone might have a problem with alcohol.

As I said, the recommendations are subjective and not wholly based on science. You need to look at the relative risk compared to other lifestyle choices. Smoking, junk food, no exercise, riding a motorbike.
Its an interesting article, this in particular.

For example, Belgium labels up to 21 drinks a week for men and 14 for women as low risk, while Ireland goes with up to 17 drinks for men and 11 for women, with two alcohol-free days a week. France recommends no more than 10 standard drinks a week – the same as Australia – but never more than two standard drinks a day and at least one alcohol-free day a week. The UK advises no more than 14 units a week, over at least three days, and “some” alcohol-free days, while the US recommends no more than two drinks a day for men and one for women.

To further confuse things, countries have different definitions of what constitutes a standard drink. In the US, a standard drink contains 14 grams of alcohol, in Australia it’s 10 grams and in the UK it’s about eight grams.

In some countries there is separate advice for men and women, while in others – including Australia – there is not. Conigrave says at the lower levels of drinking advised in the Australian guidelines, the health impact is similar for men and women. At higher levels of consumption, women are more vulnerable to harm.

Its obviously EXTREMELY broad advice that doesnt factor in any other lifestyle choices or personal history and data (a larger woman with a history with alchohol is obviously going to tolerate it better than a skinny male tee totaller).

Im pretty sure if you asked any doctor or medical professional what the absolute optimal number of alchoholic drinks per week is theyd tell you its zero, the same way they would tell you not to eat red meat or processed sugar.

again we're talking about booze here not riding a motorbike

you replied to a post saying having 15-20 drinks 2-3 times a week was a problem with guidelines that don't say its not a problem

i get it, people don't like to think they have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol

it makes them uncomfortable

we've got a culture of drinking here, what most people consider fine is above what the guidelines recommend anyway

so people go to those tick boxes and say phew I'm fine

if you've been drinking heavily 5-7 days a week for a while, you'll find out pretty quick where you stand if you take a break

everything else i just noise

either you can stop drinking or you can't

if you can't you've got a problem

You've all done well here. you've made something as fun as drinking to be the most boring shit ever.
Its probably an age thing.

I dont really care what anyone does and i binge drank like a fish when i was younger. Drinking isnt boring (although i reckon a glass of red every night with dinner is some slippers on night cap wearing dullard shit) but its risky.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many drinks do you have per week?

Back