How Many teams will there be in the AFL in 2020? Who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Cat

Debutant
Apr 2, 2007
Rutherglen
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How about this for the Future of the AFL
Victoria
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Geelong
St.Kilda
Tasmania
Hobart Hawks (Hawthorn relocation)
NSW
Sydney Swans
West Sydney Bulldogs (western bulldogs relocation)
QLD
Brisbane Lions
Southport Kangaroos (North Melbourne relocation)
SA
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
WA
Fremantle
West Coast

17 teams
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Geelong
St.Kilda
Hawthorn Hawks
Sydney Swans
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane Lions
Kangaroos
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
West Coast
Chris Judd

How about this for the Future of the AFL
Victoria
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Geelong
St.Kilda
Tasmania
Hobart Hawks (Hawthorn relocation)
NSW
Sydney Swans
West Sydney Bulldogs (western bulldogs relocation)
QLD
Brisbane Lions
Southport Kangaroos (North Melbourne relocation)
SA
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
WA
Fremantle
West Coast
More likely to have Collingwood FC Western Sydney than Bulldogs up there! Maybe Sydney Blues or Saints, Sydney Saints sounds good. But I like the idea of 2 Collingwoods!

Kudos to the most over done thread on bigfooty :rolleyes:

Yes, because Melbourne and St.Kilda will survive while Hawthorn relocates :rolleyes:

My honest answer to this question is that I don't think the league will change that much over the next 15 years.

The AFL plans to have sides relocated to NSW and QLD by 2015, but IMO it will take much longer then 10 years to get a significant enough foothold into both markets to demand another team.

If the AFL want to do it right, it's going to take literally 20 years to get fully fledged sides up and running in NSW and QLD - while regions like Tasmania, Canberra, NT and NQ will never be in a position to demand a league club due to population sprawl, economy, demographics and even global warming ;)

Meanwhile the 10 sides in Melbourne will continue to struggle so the AFL doesn't really have to worry about relocating/merging sides before they become too powerful...if worst comes to worst they'll find a way to control clubs - ie. attempting to buy a stakehold in the Kangaroos...

I can't see any new teams entering the competition - if any at all it'll be caused by the unlikely event of a merger, so I can't see more then 16 clubs in the competition.

All i know is Victoria cannot sustain 6 teams let alone 10. I would like to see Richmond, North, Sainters, Hawks and one of Dogs or Melbourne merged and or relocated by 2015-2020. We are kidding ourselves if we think Victorian football can compete with the interstate sides, we are already having trouble, and will only loose support as the interstate dominance grows. If they wont or cant then **** it and go back to the VFL and the interstate sides can create some Super league thing and invite the pies dons cats and blues into it, add a side for Tassie, one more on the gold coast, NT and NSW.

Like this

Pies
Dons
Blues
Cats
Coasters
Freo
Port
Crows
Swannies
Lions
Tassie Devils
Gold Coast Raiders
Westen Sydney Jets
Darwin Nuggets

Yeh and no salary cap :D BRING IT ON. **** the AFL, they are ruining football with all their new rules, stadium lock ins , shit TV coverage and dodgy draft system...

I see what youve done there. Youve used an incredible amount of innovation and thought "well Hawthorn play home games in Tassie, lets relocate them there".

Brilliant..

I guarantee you Hawthorn will be around 2020. HAWTHORN!

All i know is Victoria cannot sustain 6 teams let alone 10. I would like to see Richmond, North, Sainters, Hawks and one of Dogs or Melbourne merged and or relocated by 2015-2020. We are kidding ourselves if we think Victorian football can compete with the interstate sides, we are already having trouble, and will only loose support as the interstate dominance grows. If they wont or cant then **** it and go back to the VFL and the interstate sides can create some Super league thing and invite the pies dons cats and blues into it, add a side for Tassie, one more on the gold coast, NT and NSW.

Like this

Pies
Dons
Blues
Cats
Coasters
Freo
Port
Crows
Swannies
Lions
Tassie Devils
Gold Coast Raiders
Westen Sydney Jets
Darwin Nuggets

Yeh and no salary cap :D BRING IT ON. **** the AFL, they are ruining football with all their new rules, stadium lock ins , shit TV coverage and dodgy draft system...

I'm on the Nuggets :cool:

Give Adelaide a third side, either a relocated club or a new one, but has Adelaide Oval as home.
Must play Friday nights for all home games.

I hope so mate, i hope all these teams are still around, but they wont be playing in the same league as Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Sydney, Western Sydney, Hobart, Darwin, Freo, Gold Coast, Geelong or Brisbane. Because if they are Victorian football will be dead and buried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Victoria still have 10 teams?

With the Hawks playing 4 in Tassie, Kangaroos 3 @ GC, Melb & Bulldogs 2 each . . . there's already 11 Vic 'home' games being played outside Victoria.

Relocating games without relocating teams = best of both worlds.

You'd be a fool though not to recognise these games as the seeds for permanent relocations.

My 2020 goal for the AFL.

New Stadium for Perth.
Keep upgrading Skilled Stadium.
Developing the game all over the country.
Fixing Tasmania's local footy, start by sacking Scott Wade.
Save North Melbourne, don't like clubs folding.

There is more than just chucking a new team in West Sydney and hoping to get 40k to every game, the steping stones need to be placed first. Local footy.

My 2020 goal for the AFL.

New Stadium for Perth.
Keep upgrading Skilled Stadium.
Developing the game all over the country.
Fixing Tasmania's local footy, start by sacking Scott Wade.
Save North Melbourne, don't like clubs folding.

There is more than just chucking a new team in West Sydney and hoping to get 40k to every game, the steping stones need to be placed first. Local footy.
Good plan. Logical and builds a foundation. AFL will never do anything like it! They will pour money into a black hole somewhere, fold at least 2 Vic clubs, leave crap stadiums all over the countryside and ignore local footy.

Try this for size:

AFL Western Division AFL Eastern Division
WC Eagles Collingwood
Dockers Essendon
Port Adelaide Brisbane
Geelong Northern Kangaroos
Adelaide Sydney
Tasmania Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs Melbourne
St Kilda Richmond
Teams play each other twice
Top 4 play off for Division Finals
Grand Finalists from each Division play off for AFL Premiership

Try this for size:

AFL Western Division AFL Eastern Division
WC Eagles Collingwood
Dockers Essendon
Port Adelaide Brisbane
Geelong Northern Kangaroos
Adelaide Sydney
Tasmania Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs Melbourne
St Kilda Richmond
Teams play each other twice
Top 4 play off for Division Finals
Grand Finalists from each Division play off for AFL Premiership

Has to got to 2 divisions but the Interstate sides split to make it fair ie one from each state in each division and keep rivalry round once a year . Your split also would not work as ( I assume Tasmania is the Hawks and Hawthorn is meant to be Carlton) you have the big Vic 4 in the one division . The Eastern Division would be very profitable , the Western Divison Vic teams would be paupers .

Like this

Pies
Dons
Blues
Cats
Coasters
Freo
Port
Crows
Swannies
Lions
Tassie Devils
Gold Coast Raiders
Westen Sydney Jets
Darwin Nuggets

I like the way you think. Dunno about the nuggets. Like the idea though

17 teams
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Geelong
St.Kilda
Hawthorn Hawks
Sydney Swans
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane Lions
Kangaroos
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
West Coast
Chris Judd

Will Chris Judd Football Club be forced to merge or relocate?

I see what youve done there. Youve used an incredible amount of innovation and thought "well Hawthorn play home games in Tassie, lets relocate them there".

Brilliant..

I guarantee you Hawthorn will be around 2020. HAWTHORN!

I'll see your bet and raise you... if Hawthorn, StKilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs and North are forced out of the competition, the big winner will be A-League. No fans from these clubs would migrate to the ugly 4 so perhaps they should just set up soccer teams. By 2020, the A-League broadcast rights would then dwarf AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

How Many teams will there be in the AFL in 2020? Who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back