How Many teams will there be in the AFL in 2020? Who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally Posted by Jimbeam
All i know is Victoria cannot sustain 6 teams let alone 10. I would like to see Richmond, North, Sainters, Hawks and one of Dogs or Melbourne merged and or relocated by 2015-2020. We are kidding ourselves if we think Victorian football can compete with the interstate sides, we are already having trouble, and will only loose support as the interstate dominance grows. If they wont or cant then **** it and go back to the VFL and the interstate sides can create some Super league thing and invite the pies dons cats and blues into it, add a side for Tassie, one more on the gold coast, NT and NSW.

Like this

Pies
Dons
Blues
Cats
Coasters
Freo
Port
Crows
Swannies
Westen Sydney Jets
Lions
Tassie Devils
Gold Coast Raiders
Darwin Nuggets

Yeh and no salary cap BRING IT ON. **** the AFL, they are ruining football with all their new rules, stadium lock ins , shit TV coverage and dodgy draft system...

Best post from a Collingwood supporter I've seen.

I'd make the following changes though:

*Collingwood
*Essendon
*Carlton
*Richmond
*Geelong
*St Kilda

*Coasters
*Freo
*Perth Hawks

*Port - Port, North, Centrals
*Southern Crows - South Adel, Glenelg, West Adelaide
*Eastern Demons - Sturt, Norwood, Woodville-WT

*Swannies
*Western Sydney Bulldogs

*Lions
*Gold Coast Roos

I'll see your bet and raise you... if Hawthorn, StKilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs and North are forced out of the competition, the big winner will be A-League. No fans from these clubs would migrate to the ugly 4 so perhaps they should just set up soccer teams. By 2020, the A-League broadcast rights would then dwarf AFL.

It doesnt matter, they will follow their players. There are too many clubs in Vic and its ruining the competition. A blind man can see that. Hopefully they can continue on as powerhouses in the VFL, create the 2nd best league in Australia. If it did happen their would be 2 massive leagues in Australia, i would follow the dogs as my vic side, pies as the national side. There would be 16 games a week on TV, it would be the perfect evolution and create more opportunity and wealth for the great game.

It doesnt matter, they will follow their players. There are too many clubs in Vic and its ruining the competition. A blind man can see that. Hopefully they can continue on as powerhouses in the VFL, create the 2nd best league in Australia. If it did happen their would be 2 massive leagues in Australia, i would follow the dogs as my vic side, pies as the national side. There would be 32 games a week on TV, it would be the perfect evolution and create more opportunity and wealth for the great game.

How about indoor football or 9-a-side football based on the trend of going smaller in sports (5/5 soccer, 3/3 Basketball, 20/20 Cricket, Rugby 7s, Arena Football)

Dont think so, but your be sarcastic. Maybe an extended bench by then with a limited number of interchanges per qtr, other than that nothing should be changed.

It doesnt matter, they will follow their players. There are too many clubs in Vic and its ruining the competition. A blind man can see that. Hopefully they can continue on as powerhouses in the VFL, create the 2nd best league in Australia. If it did happen their would be 2 massive leagues in Australia, i would follow the dogs as my vic side, pies as the national side. There would be 16 games a week on TV, it would be the perfect evolution and create more opportunity and wealth for the great game.

why not have the 7 or 8 highest ranking Victorian teams play, with the bottom 2 or 3 spending a season in the VFL. the following year they replace the the lowest ranking few Victorian teams in the AFL and so on and so forth.​

i think there's some merit in that concept, although, obviously, it would require some tweaking. id really hate to see any more victorian teams die, but its just not working in its current state.

why scrap vic teams, as someone else said, getting rid of half of them would (a) kill the sport as half of melb. may now follow an alternate sport (may not just all be soccer, could also be rugby L&U, basketball etc)
(b) could lead to a situation whereby Vic teams go back to the VFA and possibly remain competitive thus leading to a possible rival comp (if some other teams from other states like Tas, Canberra, SA and WA joined).
(b) may be far fetched however

I agree and think it would be a dog act to get rid of any vic teams, thats why i now think they should go into the VFL and pump the tires up of that comp, it could be renamed and inc the top 2 teams out of SAFL-WAFL, 1 team from NSWFL-QFL and TFL ??. Call that the AFL lol and create another league where teams are not resticted by the salary cap and rely on AFL hand outs or special home games and crap, just a league for the bigger teams with loads of money and supporters.

I agree and think it would be a dog act to get rid of any vic teams, thats why i now think they should go into the VFL and pump the tires up of that comp, it could be renamed and inc the top 2 teams out of SAFL-WAFL, 1 team from NSWFL-QFL and TFL ??. Call that the AFL lol and create another league where teams are not resticted by the salary cap and rely on AFL hand outs or special home games and crap, just a league for the bigger teams with loads of money and supporters.

AFL2

Also maybe have a few conferences to reduce travel: Western (SA, WA, NT); Victorian (VFL); East Coast (Qld, ACT, NSW and TAS)

it would go the opposite way buddy. the non-victorian clubs would break away and form a super-league and invite 4 or 5 of the more powerful victorian teams into the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this for the Future of the AFL
Victoria
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Geelong
St.Kilda
Tasmania
Hobart Hawks (Hawthorn relocation)
NSW
Sydney Swans
West Sydney Bulldogs (western bulldogs relocation)
QLD
Brisbane Lions
Southport Kangaroos (North Melbourne relocation)
SA
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
WA
Fremantle
West Coast
Wrong Collingwood
Carlton Hawks and StKilda will play 5 games each
Geelong in Tassie
Hawthorn Melbourne Richmond Roos and Dogs gone.
Essendon Its all to do with money.
StKilda
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers ( with a new club song hopefully)
Brisbane lions
Sydney Swans

I'd like to see 20 teams, though it won't happen in 2020. Plus the season lengthened by a couple of weeks.

Ideally

Victoria

9 teams

NSW

Sydney
West Sydney

Qld

Brisbane
Southport Sharks

SA

same two teams

WA

West Coast
Freo
A third team

other areas

Tassie
Darwin

Doubt we'll ever see anything like this though

Wrong Collingwood
Carlton Hawks and StKilda will play 5 games each
Geelong in Tassie
Hawthorn Melbourne Richmond Roos and Dogs gone.
Essendon Its all to do with money.
StKilda
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers ( with a new club song hopefully)
Brisbane lions
Sydney Swans
I,ll do that again. I got my lines mixed up but not my ideas
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
Hawthorn 5 Tassie games
StKilda 5 Tassie games
Geelong
WCE
Fremantle
Crows
Power
Sydney
Brisbane............ Richmond Roos Dogs Dees gone its all to do with money

I hope so mate, i hope all these teams are still around, but they wont be playing in the same league as Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Sydney, Western Sydney, Hobart, Darwin, Freo, Gold Coast, Geelong or Brisbane. Because if they are
Victorian football will be dead and buried.[/quote]

It is there already!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Tasmania will have been accepted into the AFL, given a huge grant to get started and on the back of their risk in resurrecting the career of a fallen Eagle (and with a nod to the cultural slight imposed upon them by the mainland) will be named the Tassie Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

How Many teams will there be in the AFL in 2020? Who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back