How Many teams will there be in the AFL in 2020? Who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Use your brain, that sometimes helps

What about this idea

AFL Superleague
West Coast
Fremantle
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Essendon
Melbourne Tigers
Geelong
Carlton

AFl Southern Conference
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Western Bulldongs
Richmond
Albury/Wodonga
Ballarat
Bendigo
Wagga Tigers
Canberra
Mildura
Hobart
Launceston

Western Conference
WAFL Teams

Central Conference
SANFL

Northern Conference
Darwin
Townsville
Cairns
Brisbane 2nds
QAFL Teams

Is the fact that Melbourne is called Melbourne and it's the oldest team in the competition it doesn't ever really get mentioned in these debates about teams to relocate, kicked out etc?

To me they fill all the criteria that the Kangaroos get labelled with, small supporter base, crap facilities, little money, lack of success (in past 50 years - Kangas beat them there hands down). Is it still this traditionalist VFL mentallity that keeps the Demons off the chopping block?

Hasn't the Big D told North this week the AFL will not continue to pay 1.4 million in extra payments?

IMO There will be an extra team in Sydney and the GC in the next ten years

Adelaide Crows
Port Power
West Coast
Freo
Sydney Swans
Western Sydney Bulldogs
Brisbane Lions
Southport Kangaroos
Geelong
Carlton
Collingwood
Richmond Hawks
StKilda Demons
Essendon

Enough of these rubbish Vic teams tha cant get their sh1t together on the field or off it. richmond are a shamozzle. Hawks the same. Bogus membership numbers for years. They only posted a profit last year because Dicker made a secret donation of a Mill... Kangaroos are as bad as Fitzroy were both on and off the field, and the saints are an inbred team of mediocrity accepting freaks. countless top 10 draft picks late and the window has closed again. Moorabin is worse lloking than Coburg oval. Lets have an elite comp. Not a community festival which with those teams it currently is!

Enough of these rubbish Vic teams tha cant get their sh1t together on the field or off it. richmond are a shamozzle. Hawks the same. Bogus membership numbers for years. They only posted a profit last year because Dicker made a secret donation of a Mill... Kangaroos are as bad as Fitzroy were both on and off the field, and the saints are an inbred team of mediocrity accepting freaks. countless top 10 draft picks late and the window has closed again. Moorabin is worse lloking than Coburg oval. Lets have an elite comp. Not a community festival which with those teams it currently is!

Mate, you are full of shit. The Hawthorn Football Club is no worse of than Geelong and if anything is a stonger organsiation. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I really do have a giggle at some of the illuminaries who post in these threads who have no idea.

If Geelong is such a stong club, why don't they make their annual report public? Hawthorn has a net asset position of around $8-$10 million with little debt and significant liquid funds - what do the cats have?

Having just spent the last week in Sydney I am convinced that a 2nd AFL team in Sydney's western suburbs will never work.

It is full on rugby league territory, and the "Aerial Ping Pong" is treated as a joke of a sport.

Where in west Sydney did you stay?

Of course its treated as a joke. But that is by the average punter who has been around and knows nothing else then League. That can be changed

What about this idea

AFL Superleague
West Coast
Fremantle
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Essendon
Melbourne Tigers
Geelong
Carlton

AFl Southern Conference
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Western Bulldongs
Richmond
Albury/Wodonga
Ballarat
Bendigo
Wagga Tigers
Canberra
Mildura
Hobart
Launceston

Western Conference
WAFL Teams

Central Conference
SANFL

Northern Conference
Darwin
Townsville
Cairns
Brisbane 2nds
QAFL Teams

One word - stupid!

There should be a Western Sydney team and a Gold Coast team by then. If it is a moved club (most likely) or a new one I will be happy. Just wish that they would hurry up and make it happen

What is wrong with a multi teared competition with different divisions, like the soccer in the UK, complete with promotions and relegations. I'd love to see Carlton playing against Tasmanian club sides. :D

The Penrith Rams Football Club in Western Sydney put a proposal to the AFL/NSW a few years back, outlining their plans for becoming the new "Western Sydney" AFL club, and even winning the AFL grand Final by 2020.

A bit more than ambitious methinks,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 teams and this will not increase. The objective of the AFL is to establish a second side in both queensland and new south wales. It prefers relocation to starting a team from scratch.

Its move to buy the Kangaroos all but proves this.

IMO, the ideal structure for the AFL, at present is as follows:

VIC: 8
NSW: 2
QLD: 2
WA: 2
SA: 2

The simple fact is that two Victorian clubs will relocate at some stage over the next five years. If the Kangaroos are relocated, than the pressure to move will be shifted to another victorian based club to relocate to Sydney.

Naturally Collingwood and Essendon will not relocate. Carlton also is safe if they can get there house in order (whcih finally appears to be happening). Add to this Geelong, Hawthorn and St. Kilda and these are the Victorian based clubs that control there own destiny.

Richmond, while they generated a reasonable paper profit last year, still have serious off field issues and still have a negative asset position, together with around $9 million in current liabilities. Melbourne and the Bulldogs are always struggling to be sustainable in their own right, while no more needs to be said about the Kangaroos.

What is wrong with a multi teared competition with different divisions, like the soccer in the UK, complete with promotions and relegations. I'd love to see Carlton playing against Tasmanian club sides. :D

Clarence, North Hobart & Glenorchy would pump them.
Carlton may scrape out a win against Triabunna

I think looking through the posts, most people agree that 2 clubs will either relocate or fade away in Victoria. The difference is no one wants or suggests their own clubs (for obvious reasons). Of the 10 clubs in vic, it can be broken down into 3 catagories, which are as follows:

Safe as houses
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton
Geelong

Can go either way
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Richmond
StKilda
Bulldogs

Almost Gone
North Melbourne

Most would agree North are on their way (except maybe North Supporters, which is fair enough). Out of the “can go either way” clubs, apart from the current success they are having, I would say the Bulldogs are in no way safe (especially considering we are talking 15 years from now). Followed by either Hawthorn or Melbourne.

I think there will be 18

Essendon
Collingwood
Carlton
North Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Geelong
Richmond
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Sydney
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Fremantle
Brisbane
North Queensland Storm
West Sydney Warriors

I think looking through the posts, most people agree that 2 clubs will either relocate or fade away in Victoria. The difference is no one wants or suggests their own clubs (for obvious reasons). Of the 10 clubs in vic, it can be broken down into 3 catagories, which are as follows:

Safe as houses
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton
Geelong

Can go either way
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Richmond
StKilda
Bulldogs

Almost Gone
North Melbourne

Most would agree North are on their way (except maybe North Supporters, which is fair enough). Out of the “can go either way” clubs, apart from the current success they are having, I would say the Bulldogs are in no way safe (especially considering we are talking 15 years from now). Followed by either Hawthorn or Melbourne.

Melbourne are safe. The AFL will not let Melbourne go anywhere. If worst comes to worst a Victorian team will merge with melbourne team to make a new one. Richmond also have a fair supporter base so they are fairly safe.

The Penrith Rams Football Club in Western Sydney put a proposal to the AFL/NSW a few years back, outlining their plans for becoming the new "Western Sydney" AFL club, and even winning the AFL grand Final by 2020.

A bit more than ambitious methinks,

They have a good website but thats all i've seen of them. Hopefully they could get going

yep, i would agree with that in regards to melbourne, and the same for Richmond, as they do seem to have a fairly large supporter base. I still reckon in the long run, the Bulldogs would be the most nervous...

I think there will be 18

Essendon
Collingwood
Carlton
North Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Geelong
Richmond
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Sydney
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Fremantle
Brisbane
North Queensland Storm
West Sydney Warriors

LOL Gold Coast have a good chance, Nth Queensland have no chance of getting a team anytime soon. I think most people would agree with that due to the AFL playing 0 games there.

The Storm and the Warriors would be poor names for either team as both are current NRL team names.

yep, i would agree with that in regards to melbourne, and the same for Richmond, as they do seem to have a fairly large supporter base. I still reckon in the long run, the Bulldogs would be the most nervous...

Western Sydney Bulldogs! I would be very happy with that. Although the Bulldogs (my current NRL team) has a very poor name

Wrong, Geelong and Richmond would of been kicked out of the afl by then for failing to do anything in 40ish years

Or Hawthorn would have been kicked out for bringing the game into disrepute for playing a s**thouse brand of football week in, week out.

Wrong Collingwood
Carlton Hawks and StKilda will play 5 games each
Geelong in Tassie
Hawthorn Melbourne Richmond Roos and Dogs gone.
Essendon Its all to do with money.
StKilda
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers ( with a new club song hopefully)
Brisbane lions
Sydney Swans

Geelong will not move interstate. The way the urban sprawl is continuing, by 2020 Geelong will be another suburb of Melbourne and might play all their home games at TD or the MCG, but will not move interstate, and definitely not to Tassie.

I would like to see this happen, and go back to the zoning system like it was before the introduction of the draft.

There will always be a team called Melbourne, you'd be an idiot to think otherwise.

Whether they're still going to be the Demons or not, I can't answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back