How much longer can Priddis be debated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I object to the insinuation that what tracker is doing qualifies as arguing.

He's either a troll or, well, let's hope he's a troll ...
I wasn't referring to one post, rather the series of posts.

Swannies.
I am happy to stop arguing.
I am happy to leave the decision to Simpson and the club.
For those that choose to continue, I would like to see a bit more respect given and not have people refer to our friend as a shit or a shit stain or a turd but that might be asking for too much.
Unfortunately, you haven't shown that over the copious pages of threads. And I'm not putting it solely on you, there are a collective that struggle to outline their opinion and leave it at that, or debate in a manner which suggests we just aren't doing circle work.

To everyone that argues we don't have a suitable replacement for Priddis, consider a side like Geelong. I realise I've harbored on this point in the past, but it is surely relevant to this discussion.

It goes without saying that Geelong are a side of immense quality, and has been for many years now, with individual personnel that well and truly eclipse that of our own. Selwood, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, etc. are nothing short of elite players, yet they manage to find a midfield balance between this established brigade, and their potential-laden, yet unestablished youth that are not yet genuine or even battle-ready AFL midfielders.

If we instead of Geelong had drafted Guthrie, or Christiensen, I'd argue with confidence, that they'd have spent up til this comparative stage in their careers, either in the WAFL, or on a flank. Nonetheless, they likely wouldn't have recieved a fair run in the midfield. You could make the same argument for many young players who have proven themselves capable midfielders.

Of course there are factors which permit strong clubs such as Geelong the liberty to experiment with their midfield set-up, particularly strong leadership, versatile players, and most importantly, a quality team with a successful culture. But it is this ability to adapt, and emphasis on flexibility that has made Geelong such a strong side in the first place. This is a club that moved on champions like Chapman and Corey, despite the fact they were still more than serviceable at AFL level, just to give opportunities to young players who were by no means sure things. Meanwhile, for the past few years, we've gone into every game with the same midfield set-up, and wondered why we keep getting monstered in the middle.

To everyone that argues we don't have a suitable replacement for Priddis, consider a side like Geelong. I realise I've harbored on this point in the past, but it is surely relevant to this discussion.

It goes without saying that Geelong are a side of immense quality, and has been for many years now, with individual personnel that well and truly eclipse that of our own. Selwood, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, etc. are nothing short of elite players, yet they manage to find a midfield balance between this established brigade, and their potential-laden, yet unestablished youth that are not yet genuine or even battle-ready AFL midfielders.

If we instead of Geelong had drafted Guthrie, or Christiensen, I'd argue with confidence, that they'd have spent up til this comparative stage in their careers, either in the WAFL, or on a flank. Nonetheless, they likely wouldn't have recieved a fair run in the midfield. You could make the same argument for many young players who have proven themselves capable midfielders.

Of course there are factors which permit strong clubs such as Geelong the liberty to experiment with their midfield set-up, particularly strong leadership, versatile players, and most importantly, a quality team with a successful culture. But it is this ability to adapt, and emphasis on flexibility that has made Geelong such a strong side in the first place. This is a club that moved on champions like Chapman and Corey, despite the fact they were still more than serviceable at AFL level, just to give opportunities to young players who were by no means sure things. Meanwhile, for the past few years, we've gone into every game with the same midfield set-up, and wondered why we keep getting monstered in the middle.

What Geelong have done over an extended period is build a list with a large number of small to medium players that can play midfield whilst being able to contribute either forward or back. Hawthorn have done the same thing

Simpson to his credit has stated it's aim to develop versatile players. It can't be done overnight

And a trifecta of awesomeness and leadership they weren't today ...
We really need to thank them for their service and bid farewell at years end. Time to move on. Great servants of the club through difficult years after the cousins saga but goodbye.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

It's never fun watching champions regress back to mere mortals. Wasn't their best performance today

2 absolute champions and a bit of a plodder ...

I actually felt a bit sorry for Glass today. Spirit willing and all that .... I hope in his case it's injury that he can work through but his turning circle looked scarily like Ash McIntoshs last season ...

2 absolute champions and a bit of a plodder ...

I actually felt a bit sorry for Glass today. Spirit willing and all that .... I hope in his case it's injury that he can work through but his turning circle looked scarily like Ash McIntoshs last season ...

Glass has been good in earlier games so like you I'm hoping there was some injury to explain it

And I figured you would realize I was talking about 2 and not 3

What Geelong have done over an extended period is build a list with a large number of small to medium players that can play midfield whilst being able to contribute either forward or back. Hawthorn have done the same thing

Simpson to his credit has stated it's aim to develop versatile players. It can't be done overnight
Interesting exercise to try the same thing. Let's try Priddis elsewhere on the field so he can mentor younger players...er...where can he play?

Well apparently people think Hutchings can play on a flank, if Hutchings can, Priddis can.

I'd back him to nail the 3 shots Hutchings missed as well in the last 2 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our major ball accumulators in Andrew Gaff and Matt Rosa are wingmen.
Luke Shuey is our number one midfielder but at 23 disposals a game, he doesn't get enough of the ball. 23 disposals puts him at 71st in the competition. I just don't think he wins enough of the ball to be hugely effective. Sadly, he still wins more of the ball than the rest.
Scott Selwood has been tried offensively and largely failed. He's best suited to a defensive role.
Chris Masten doesn't get enough clearances and contested ball.

It only gets worse from there.

Matt Priddis has huge flaws, but we have no midfield depth and those that we do have besides Shuey have big flaws also.

I would like a side without Priddis being required, but I just don't see how we can do so with our non-existent depth and lack of quality. And no, I don't see omitting Priddis to bring in Hutchings as viable, he's much the same.

I also feel that the criticisms of Priddis are way too OTT given the flaws and problems with other players that are largely glossed over and yet not significantly less detracting to which they criticise.

You speak far too much sense for many on here to understand.

Hard calls need to be made at the end of the season. Coach will give it this season to pan out then decisions will be made on his players.

Backline is fine, likewise the forward line. Just need a genuine crumber and a fit Le Cras.

If it was me I tell Cox to retire, Naitanui poor form has shadowed the poor form of Cox. His kicked no goals and taken no marks inside 50. I’d promote Sinclair and Lycett.

Midfield is the real problem. Gaff, Maston, Selwood, Priddis and Hutchings are all too small and slow. They can’t all play in the one team at the same time. I’d trade Gaff and Maston and cut Hutchings. Only problem is that Sheed is also slow, he adds grunt but is slow.. We need to trade in if we want a quick fix so have to give up Maston and Gaff, providing there's takers which I dont think will be many.

Wellingham's been dropped, NicNat's had numerous articles about his current output, not sure they're flying under the radar.

Butler, McGinnity, Brennan and other guys who have been in the WAFL all year* aren't part of our current problem. The problem is that the 22 we're putting out on the park each week is struggling.

*I'd like to pretend the Geelong game didn't happen, if that's alright with everyone else.

Masten, Butler, Gaff, Hutchings, Wellingham, Lycett, NicNat, Selwood, McGinnity, Brennan, Tunbridge, Hill, Schofield... everyone who played WAFL on the weekend etc

Masten - that's a massive overreation
Butler - gone at years end
Gaff - people are getting stuck into him too don't worry
Hutch - after what, like 8 games?
Wellingham - dropped to play WAFL, when did that happen to Priddis?
Lycett - 4th year ruck and coming along nicely, spending limited time in the ruck when in the 22 and spending most in a very poor forward line
NicNat - GTFO!
Selwood - at least he can defend. Shurt Fyfe out when moved on to him. How was Piddis' opponent?
McGinnity - he's odds on to never play again
Brennan - career is likely hanging by a thread as it is
Tunbridge - 3 games in and he's actually got up side! He can kick the ball well, that's what we lack.
Hill - Cripps has gone past him.
Schoey - way harsh. Provided some run at least when he came on.

Priddis is the third oldest on our list, no upside and is actually regressing.

Butler, McGinnity, Brennan and other guys who have been in the WAFL all year* aren't part of our current problem. The problem is that the 22 we're putting out on the park each week is struggling.

Its a massive problem. Our list of starting players no longer extends even 22 deep. Every week we have struggling WAFL players taking starting roles, guys like the above mentioned (Tunbridge and Lycett this week). They kill us twice, no only do they not win the footy and make momentum killing errors, they cant even restrict the hurt of the players they are playing on. Priddis only kills us once.

Masten - that's a massive overreation
Butler - gone at years end
Gaff - people are getting stuck into him too don't worry
Hutch - after what, like 8 games?
Wellingham - dropped to play WAFL, when did that happen to Priddis?
Lycett - 4th year ruck and coming along nicely, spending limited time in the ruck when in the 22 and spending most in a very poor forward line
NicNat - GTFO!
Selwood - at least he can defend. Shurt Fyfe out when moved on to him. How was Piddis' opponent?
McGinnity - he's odds on to never play again
Brennan - career is likely hanging by a thread as it is
Tunbridge - 3 games in and he's actually got up side! He can kick the ball well, that's what we lack.
Hill - Cripps has gone past him.
Schoey - way harsh. Provided some run at least when he came on.

Priddis is the third oldest on our list, no upside and is actually regressing.

Point is it took 30 seconds to find half a dozen players who Priddis outperforms. That is the true horror of our abominable list. Whether players are injured, shit, going to be delisted etc is of no consequence. Priddis is a beter player than these guys at this point in time. Ideally they are all performing better than Priddis and he gets fazed out - but thats not the case. So dropping Priddis right now just makes us worse.

Playing on a flank I will still seriously doubt his ability to get himself in the position to even get the shot.

At one point in the game I saw Priddis skulking around the forward 50 a ways from the action. I think the coaching panel are actually trying to use the fact that the opposition play off him. Didn't work as the ball didn't go anywhere near our forward 50 that time, but Matt has definitely been playing more outside lately.

Not saying this to get shouted down, just pointing out that the coaches are using him a little differently. I'm sure everyone can fit this tidbit to suit their own arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back