Local Rugby League How much should the NRL spend in Victoria to grow the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I can't think of one person who thinks the NRL do enough financially to grow the game here and I always wonder just where the game might sit if the NRL spent a third of the amount the AFL do in fostering Australian football in NSW and Queensland where the game (AFL) has been long established.

Can the Storm (continue) to rely from players outside of the state? Sure they've done incredibly well since inception with a great coach in Bellamy, especially, and their uncanny ability to turn players who we'd never heard of into stand-out first graders.

Does anyone even care? Are Storm supporters happy just to cheer on players from around the various parts of the world, or would you like to see a heap more money invested in the grass roots?

More importantly, would you continue to support a side who might go through a 5-10 year lean patch in order to grow the game locally?

I don't think the nrl does enough to grow the game anywhere in the country, and you can extend that to rugby league globally.

Victoria specifically, they need to spend more money then they are both willing and able to.
Imo the kangaroos need to be the pinnacle of the game, and atm it's a far second (if not thrid behind club games).

I don't think the nrl does enough to grow the game anywhere in the country, and you can extend that to rugby league globally.

Victoria specifically, they need to spend more money then they are both willing and able to.
Imo the kangaroos need to be the pinnacle of the game, and atm it's a far second (if not thrid behind club games).

No arguments from me. Definitely 3rd.

Problem is the NRL, and the clubs running the independent board, don’t want to spend the money growing grassroots anywhere outside of the heartlands.
It’s why Perth bid fell over as the clubs want the entry fee, the backers said no, and not have to spend any of the competitions money.

The NRL is the sports greatest weakness.
The clubs care about the now not the future, my own club still won’t go all in on the fastest growing area in Sydney with the MacArthur area.
The boss of the comp is basically a used car salesman, bagging other sports and calling League the best while doing nothing.
No movement done in where the money will come from for the Sydney clubs when pokies gets even more hammered.
If you aren’t growing you are going backwards. Especially with how League is run.
If it wasn’t for the forgiveness and passion of the fans the sport would be dead already.

The NRL is the sports greatest weakness.
The clubs care about the now not the future, my own club still won’t go all in on the fastest growing area in Sydney with the MacArthur area.
The boss of the comp is basically a used car salesman, bagging other sports and calling League the best while doing nothing.
No movement done in where the money will come from for the Sydney clubs when pokies gets even more hammered.
If you aren’t growing you are going backwards. Especially with how League is run.
If it wasn’t for the forgiveness and passion of the fans the sport would be dead already.

But fortunately, the product is pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Local Rugby League How much should the NRL spend in Victoria to grow the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back