How well is our forward line functioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Arkangel

All Australian
Jun 8, 2007
Internet City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
(I think this may be the first time in over 15 years on BigFooty that I've started a thread, so apologies in advance if something goes wrong…)

I've seen a few comments on various threads about the functioning of our forward line. For the most part, these comments are negative, and focus on perceived inefficiency (e.g., that despite dominating inside-50s, we often fail to score when going forward) and organisation (e.g., that we struggle to isolate targets in the forward line to the same extent that the teams we play are able to). Intuitively, I buy both these arguments, since it feels like it's often harder for us to score than is the case for our opponents. However, I'm also aware that how something feels to me, as a massively biased supporter who's very emotionally involved in the outcome of our matches, isn't necessarily going to reflect the reality of things. Thus, I was sort of surprisingly unsurprised when a poster on the main board put up some statistics relating to inside-50 scoring efficiency a few weeks ago, which had us toward the top end of the table rather than the middle or bottom---where my intuition would've expected us to fall.

I didn't think about this a lot more at the time, but as I'm presently on (northern hemisphere) summer holidays I thought I'd look into the numbers a bit further and see if anything jumped out at me. Below is a table containing per-game averages for a number of relevant statistics for each team in 2024, obtained from the stats page on afl.com.au. (I've added some zeroes at the front end of some of the averages so that all the significant figures line up.)

TeamInside 50sShots on goalGoalsBehindsMarks inside 50Marks
Adelaide50.723.212.210.210.8089.4
Brisbane57.728.013.412.913.4111.5
Carlton52.126.714.811.011.7089.8
Collingwood49.625.812.411.210.8079.8
Essendon56.325.312.410.612.8097.6
Fremantle51.326.012.411.412.9097.1
Geelong54.325.913.410.312.8086.7
Gold Coast57.724.712.410.610.6086.1
GWS51.224.813.409.713.7090.2
Hawthorn52.325.511.910.412.2088.9
Melbourne49.723.411.410.411.2095.3
North Melbourne45.118.910.706.709.9088.7
Port Adelaide54.328.412.213.614.1098.7
Richmond46.919.909.210.309.8082.9
St Kilda49.822.610.609.911.3097.3
Sydney55.928.715.012.812.6094.9
West Coast46.121.509.609.610.3085.6
Western Bulldogs55.427.613.411.912.3099.8

Looking at the raw numbers, our rankings on the relevant forward-line statistics are as follows:
- 5th for inside-50s (behind Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon, and Sydney)
- 4th for shots on goal (behind Sydney, Port Adelaide, and Brisbane)
- Equal 3rd for goals (with GWS, Geelong, and Brisbane; behind Sydney and Carlton)
- Equal 4th for behinds (behind Port Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney)
- 8th for marks inside 50 (behind Port Adelaide, GWS, Brisbane, Fremantle, Essendon, Geelong, and Sydney)

Essentially, according to most of these measures it looks like our forward line is pretty effective, such that we are placed in the top handful of teams on each of them. Marks inside 50 is a possible exception, where we are just middle-of-the-road, averaging 1.8 per game fewer than the top side on this measure (Port Adelaide). To get some feeling for the magnitude of this gap, the average difference between the bottom (Richmond) and top sides on this measure is 4.3.

This gives me the impression that we're relatively underperforming when it comes to marks inside 50. However, an alternative possibility is that this difference simply reflects a difference in game styles across teams, whereby relatively more of our disposals are handballs rather than kicks. Since you can't mark a handball (unless you listen to the journalists and commentators who think this is what Toby Greene was doing when he kicked Luke Dahlhaus in the face), this would provide a natural explanation for the discrepancy. This is why I've also included total marks per game in the above table. It turns out that we rank 2nd for total marks (Brisbane have way more than any other team, whereas a number of other teams come close behind us in 3rd, 4th, etc.), meaning that our inside-50 mark count is proportionally low too [i.e., 12.3% of our total marks are taken inside 50, which is a fair bit lower than teams like Sydney (13.3%), Port Adelaide (14.3%), Geelong (14.8%), GWS (15.2%), and Hawthorn (13.7%)]. In other words, this doesn't explain the relatively low number of marks we take inside 50.

What do I take from this overall? Well, we're pretty effective at getting the ball inside 50, and at converting inside 50s to shots on goal---and to goals. By contrast, we're not great at taking marks inside 50. Given the height and marking prowess of some of the players in our forward line, my lay conclusion is that this is an area where we have substantial room for improvement. So, it seems like our forward line is actually functioning pretty well, but perhaps not in a way that is playing to one of our team's strengths.

I'd be interested to hear others' impressions of this issue. As I mentioned above, I'm located in the northern hemisphere so I haven't been able to see any games live this year (actually not since 2015, unfortunately), which means my own impressions have to come from what's played on the television broadcast and the stats that are collected and made publicly available. Those who are actually able to attend games and see the "big picture" on the field may have better insights here.

On face value, I think the forward line is going alright. The easy misses are the ones that stick out but they can’t really be attributed to forward structure.

I’ve also felt like we have a lot of shots in general play I50 which, of course, would be under greater pressure than a set shot.

Would also be great to see a heat map of WHERE we’re taking our I50 marks as it feels like we have a high % of our set shots on tighter angles closer to the boundary. Just my initial thoughts.

The quality of our I50s has improved a lot due to the speed at which we get it in there.

And actually having some structure ahead of the ball (aided by players like VDM and cody who are often the first to run back into the F50 on the rebound) and space to work in helps our forwards immensely -- you cant really seperate our forwards performance from the performance of the entire team. Theres only so much you can do when you are bobbing in a sea of players made up of every single player in our forward half.

If I had one metric to measure how well our forward line is working, id probably say opposition intercept marks inside 50. But I have no idea how to find that stat.

Last edited:
What about shots on goal per i50?

i50s themselves are more a metric of the midfield IMO.

Indeed; I included it because the other forward line averages are pretty meaningless without the context of how frequently we get it in there. We've scored from about 49.8% of our inside 50s this season, which places us 6th. The teams ahead of us are Port Adelaide (52.4%), Collingwood (52.1%), Carlton (51.3%), Sydney (51.3%), and Fremantle (50.6%). On the other end of the scale are North Melbourne (42%), Richmond (42.5%), and Gold Coast (42.8%). The distribution across teams is asymmetrical, and we're much closer to the top than the bottom.

For the record, we've kicked a goal on 24.3% of our inside 50s, which is also ranked 6th---behind Carlton (28.4%), Sydney (26.8%), GWS (26.2%), Collingwood (25.1%), and Geelong (24.8%). At the bottom end of this statistic are Richmond (19.5%), West Coast (20.9%), and St Kilda (21.2%).

Indeed; I included it because the other forward line averages are pretty meaningless without the context of how frequently we get it in there. We've scored from about 49.8% of our inside 50s this season, which places us 6th. The teams ahead of us are Port Adelaide (52.4%), Collingwood (52.1%), Carlton (51.3%), Sydney (51.3%), and Fremantle (50.6%). On the other end of the scale are North Melbourne (42%), Richmond (42.5%), and Gold Coast (42.8%). The distribution across teams is asymmetrical, and we're much closer to the top than the bottom.

For the record, we've kicked a goal on 24.3% of our inside 50s, which is also ranked 6th---behind Carlton (28.4%), Sydney (26.8%), GWS (26.2%), Collingwood (25.1%), and Geelong (24.8%). At the bottom end of this statistic are Richmond (19.5%), West Coast (20.9%), and St Kilda (21.2%).

Are there stats on where our shots on goal are being taken from i50? Corridor or pockets?

We always do poorly on the expected score vs actual score.

Overall you'd say our forward line is performing pretty well.

Same as in most past seasons.

Are there stats on where our shots on goal are being taken from i50? Corridor or pockets?

We always do poorly on the expected score vs actual score.
Yeah, I think both this and stefoid's suggestions of opposition marks inside 50 would be interesting stats to see. I just have no idea whether they are accessible and, if so, how to access them.

Because we are quite a good clearance team, there may be tactical reasons we don't take that many marks inside 50, or even that we appear on many occasions to kick to a big pack of players, with all our tall forwards in the one spot: If this limits the probability of an opposition mark and quick rebound, it may actually lead to a higher score probability (/lower opposition score probability) than trying (but occasionally or frequently failing) to pick out a single target.

Further to this, the tables here indicate we have the 4th best stoppage clearance differential in the league (behind Fremantle, Brisbane, and Sydney), and are second in both scores from stoppages and stoppage score differential (behind Sydney in both cases). Whether the latter is cause or effect is anyone's guess though!

Like most seasons, if we kicked straight, many games would be over by half time. We keep the opposition in it by not taking the chances.

Interestingly, based on the source I linked in the previous post, we have the highest expected score per shot in the league (meaning, on average, the shots we take on goal are easier than the shots any other teams take!). This is particularly true of our set shots, for which the expected score is .28 points above the AFL average (3.81 vs. 3.53), whereas our shots in general play are of about average difficulty (2.85 points on average, vs. the AFL average of 2.86). As you and Senor Ed suggest though, we're not great at converting them (our overall conversion rate is 5th worst in the league, including being 5th worst for set shots and 7th worst for shots from general play).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would have ever guessed we would have five players with more than 25 goals on the season and Weightman would not be one of them 😍.

Cody is due in the next couple weeks, so he should tick over 25 as well. When was the last time we had six 25+ goal kickers in a season?

Who would have ever guessed we would have five players with more than 25 goals on the season and Weightman would not be one of them 😍.

Cody is due in the next couple weeks, so he should tick over 25 as well. When was the last time we had six 25+ goal kickers in a season?
If ever!

Credit is due somewhere for the patient way that Marra and Darcy in particular have been managed/developed. Not just patient but sensible. All manner of media and pundits on social media criticised the non-selection or slow introduction/exposure of both players at various times over the last few years.

But (let's say Bevo) held his ground. The medium term methodical development in line with their physical development and maturity for the long term greater good clearly held sway over potentially detrimental short term exposure or gain.

Timing is everything. We've rarely looked better placed to capitalize on things coming together at the right time and everyone looks ready for it .... including a young, talented and particularly well managed tall duo up front.

Imagine how good it would be if we didn’t miss the sodas

So many times we’ve let teams off the hook this year and it’s cost us games
I want to see stats for coast to coast goals. This used to be a thing.

This will allow me to assess whether I'm disillusioned but it seems to me the most costly thing about some of our missed goals are teams going coast to coast and creating that 11 point turnaround.

Does this happen as frequently to other teams as it does to us?

Remove this Banner Ad

How well is our forward line functioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back