Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan wasn't too flash during last years JLTand he got a round 1 gig so i would see how Petch goes during the next game and let him play round 1.

I think we will line like this. I am leaving JK out because i have a feeling they will be avoiding him travelling long distances and give him the extra week to get over his niggle he currently has.

Hurn Barrass Shep
Jetta Gov Duggan

Masten Sheed Redden

Petch Darling Waterman
Ryan O Allen Rioli

Ruck: Vardy Shuey Yeo

EMG: Watson, Brander, Ah Chee, Smith

Bench: Hickey Cole Hutchings Venables

A very young forward line but Darling showed last year he can lead the forward line well enough and do we do need to get games into our young forwards. Perfect balance of talls and pacey forwards if the balls is brought to ground.

My sense is that if we want to go back-to-back, having a strong and stable group is critical. So I think we need to make changes where absolutely necessary or warranted.

For instance, I think there were only three new players in the 2014 Hawks premiership team, compared to the 2013 Hawks premiership team [needs fact checking].

Then again, we blooded a near record amount of players in our premiership year so it's not a bad thing necessarily just a matter of doing it smartly without disrupting a good thing.

My sense is that if we want to go back-to-back, having a strong and stable group is critical. So I think we need to make changes where absolutely necessary or warranted.

For instance, I think there were only three new players in the 2014 Hawks premiership team, compared to the 2013 Hawks premiership team [needs fact checking].

Then again, we blooded a near record amount of players in our premiership year so it's not a bad thing necessarily just a matter of doing it smartly without disrupting a good thing.
Wouldn’t have won last year without a bit of disruption. I reckon it could be the key to preventing complacency

I don't think Cole will be forced out.

But IF Watson WAS to force his way in (not just play due to injury) then Cole is the player I think he would replace.
Agree that Cole wont be dropped unless form dips, but don't agree that this is the sole option. They play similar starting positions, but offer key differences such that both could be utilised. Matchups could see Watson come in for Schofield, or Masten if he loses form. If Watson is selected rd1 and plays good footy, Gaff's return doesnt necessarily see him dropped on 'last picked, first out'. We have the flexibility, afforded by an awesome spine and strong midfield core, to shuffle some things if the coaches believe it could improve us.

Exciting times. Competition for spots should be intense and fringe players will push hard against Freo on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still a bit skeptical about Petch. The goals he kicked in the intraclub were against the B team. Does he offer much besides speed?

From memory he kicked 4 goals in the intra club game and has trained very well so hopefully he gets some early reward ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back