HUME LEAGUE -2013

Remove this Banner Ad

More true than false however no1 will ever let on really how much! highly doubt any of the coachs would be on less than 20k plus then put a 200 per game average for the rest of the squad and your around the 100k mark.

Mate I doubt many teams would be near the 100k mark. Just speculating possibly Howlong last year with the 4 Bradshaws and possibly Osborne and Holbrook, but I can say that at our club, we arent anywhere near that. Even when we had a dream year in recruiting, we weren't near that. I reckon it's a cop out from teams that aren't as strong, to say the reasons they lose is because they aren't financially strong. For example, the Magpies are throwing redicuous money at players that probably aren't worth $200-300, however still are battling for wins. And before everyone bites my head off saying that I am making outrageous statements, a couple of my good mates are some of the boys that have signed recently there. But as we all well know, money can't supercede a poor club culture, which is why some of these blokes, who were in the Border Mail a few months back, have already left the club and gone back to their original clubs. I think everyone agrees once you have a great club culture like the BB Saints and Osborne have, you don't necessarily need to throw a lot of money around in order to get quality people/players to your club.

PS. The Screaming Eagle is training the house down and has been bench pressing everything from Dorset rams to his overly masculine car. He will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

Mate I doubt many teams would be near the 100k mark. Just speculating possibly Howlong last year with the 4 Bradshaws and possibly Osborne and Holbrook, but I can say that at our club, we arent anywhere near that. Even when we had a dream year in recruiting, we weren't near that. I reckon it's a cop out from teams that aren't as strong, to say the reasons they lose is because they aren't financially strong. For example, the Magpies are throwing redicuous money at players that probably aren't worth $200-300, however still are battling for wins. And before everyone bites my head off saying that I am making outrageous statements, a couple of my good mates are some of the boys that have signed recently there. But as we all well know, money can't supercede a poor club culture, which is why some of these blokes, who were in the Border Mail a few months back, have already left the club and gone back to their original clubs. I think everyone agrees once you have a great club culture like the BB Saints and Osborne have, you don't necessarily need to throw a lot of money around in order to get quality people/players to your club.

PS. The Screaming Eagle is training the house down and has been bench pressing everything from Dorset rams to his overly masculine car. He will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

More of the top 7 than not would of been over 100k but as they say if your club works hard enough to make the money than whats wrong with looking for a return.

Your getting a bit ahead of yourself with the osborne call but if you think your that good probably shows why you have been so successful for so long.

But as we all well know, money can't supercede a poor club culture, which is why some of these blokes, who were in the Border Mail a few months back, have already left the club and gone back to their original clubs. I think everyone agrees once you have a great club culture like the BB Saints and Osborne have, you don't necessarily need to throw a lot of money around in order to get quality people/players to your club.
So are you saying when you blokes couldn't win a game 5 years ago and were barely fielding 2 senior sides you had a bad club culture? O and M players signing with Hume league clubs who are in their mid 20's and in their prime aren't coming out to play in the league for the love of it. I don't think they'd play on the grounds such as Lockhart (look out for rabbit burrows), Brock (Vasoline required for knees and elbows) and even Henty (don't slide over the boundary line near the wicket on a wet day you might hit a car). The money is available they come, it runs out they play for Thurgoona:D

So are you saying when you blokes couldn't win a game 5 years ago and were barely fielding 2 senior sides you had a bad club culture? O and M players signing with Hume league clubs who are in their mid 20's and in their prime aren't coming out to play in the league for the love of it. I don't think they'd play on the grounds such as Lockhart (look out for rabbit burrows), Brock (Vasoline required for knees and elbows) and even Henty (don't slide over the boundary line near the wicket on a wet day you might hit a car). The money is available they come, it runs out they play for Thurgoona:D

Nah mate, I'm not saying you don't have to spend money initially, to get people to the club, but when you have the right people playing for you, money is usually not an issue. I know that both us and Osborne has a huge local player base and these blokes don't bleed the clubs dry for match payments. Yes, you obviously need to pay some money to attract and keep players, but if you have the mix right, the fundraised money can go back into the club as opposed to the match payments of the players.

Nah mate, I'm not saying you don't have to spend money initially, to get people to the club, but when you have the right people playing for you, money is usually not an issue. I know that both us and Osborne has a huge local player base and these blokes don't bleed the clubs dry for match payments. Yes, you obviously need to pay some money to attract and keep players, but if you have the mix right, the fundraised money can go back into the club as opposed to the match payments of the players.

Hey Angry Mal you are right . But getting 2's to play for free is always a bonus. Those guys spend money at the club aswell. The other thing is getting what you are paying for. Grabbing a bloke out of O&M two's and paying him good money doesn't always work. But getting a older more experienced player can back fire aswell. There is alot of money thrown around bush footy and that's why guys jump clubs. With all the guns going to the Hume first because of higher payments doesn't mean it's the strongest league.

Howlong has signed a few young guns from Raiders. Could be very handy.
Jindera beating Raiders not sure which way to go on this.
I see Darren Bradshaw hasn't put in a clearence yet. You would have thought his would have been the first one .

Interesting reading today in the paper Culcairn are advertising for players (seniors and 2's), they are the 3rd club in the area with Walwa and Beechworth doing the same, it sounds like a worrying trend. Thoughts anyone?

Brookers accounted for Mango and Dederang in last week or so in prac matches. Haven't been at full strength on either occasions but good hit outs for the boys. Vs Dederang the Bradshaw boys kicked all the goals, with Darren kicking more.

So with only a few weeks till kick off for the season anyone care to have a go at ladder predictions..?

Holbrook
Henty
BB Saints
Jindera
Osborne

Anyone of these could fill the last finals position but the top 5 look above the rest. Expect big improvement from power however the talk at crows may not see them climb as some think the first year. Howlong and Culcairn have had big clean outs but also attracted some good players, lockhart also but not to the extent of those 2 and will have to recover from last years horror 2nd half.

Could be long years for R/W, Magpies and Walla.

Holbrook
Henty
BB Saints
Jindera
Osborne

Anyone of these could fill the last finals position but the top 5 look above the rest. Expect big improvement from power however the talk at crows may not see them climb as some think the first year. Howlong and Culcairn have had big clean outs but also attracted some good players, lockhart also but not to the extent of those 2 and will have to recover from last years horror 2nd half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holbrook
Henty
BB Saints
Jindera
Osborne

BB Saints
Osborne
Holbrook
Jindera
Henty
CDU/Lockhart
Hitnmiss not a clean out just realized they weren't worth the money they were paying them,Holbrook will find that out this season if they don't win the G.F.

Fair pump up for BB Saints in the annual footy worship guide done by the Border mail. I hope Saints can please this season and deliver. If they don't McKimmie will be gone. They must still have plenty of cash. The young guys from Raiders will be very handy.

v.f.l. park the only difference between the O.M. and Hume one gives out a group cert the other cash an McKimmie should of gone at the end of last season

Still trying to get my head around the fact Brett Arho knocked back 2 offers of 750 a game
from 2 clubs kdl & picola To play for Billabong crows for 1200 a game who do they (crows)
think he is ,Also who does he think he is .HE has never played major league footy for a start
I would have thought he would continue at tally who looked after him for less than half that amount
because thats all he is worth!!!!

Seems the lid has been lifted on this guy. Hope he can play !!

v.f.l. park the only difference between the O.M. and Hume one gives out a group cert the other cash an McKimmie should of gone at the end of last season

Can you give me one reason why you think McKimmie should have gone last season? Between Glen Eddy and Darryn, they have built us up from a team that was getting beaten by 20 goals into a side that has been more than competitive over the last 3-4 years. Skills is a gun player and a gun coach. The whole club, including all supporters, are behind him.

Can you give me one reason why you think McKimmie should have gone last season? Between Glen Eddy and Darryn, they have built us up from a team that was getting beaten by 20 goals into a side that has been more than competitive over the last 3-4 years. Skills is a gun player and a gun coach. The whole club, including all supporters, are behind him.

Angry Mal how long has he been there as coach and how far has he got you.And by the way you shit on G.Eddy if he had the budget your so called great coach has you mite of won one by now and the only thing your coach has built up is his bank account

Angry Mal how long has he been there as coach and how far has he got you.And by the way you shit on G.Eddy if he had the budget your so called great coach has you mite of won one by now and the only thing your coach has built up is his bank account

He has been coach for 2 full seasons going into his 3rd. Both years we have played finals and to his credit our depth has not been great. we lost alot of depth players last season and still managed to play finals. His recruiting has not been great but this year all his and the clubs hard work has paid off.

Our game plan and professionalism has improved under skillsy, and so has our fitness.

Yep spot on AllThingsSaintly, not exactly sure where you are getting your info from Referee, but between both Glen and Skills, they have lifted the Saints from their knees. It's funny that you bring the budget into question because they have both had the exact same budget to work from, and Darryn has in fact spent less in his two years at the helm. Skills would also be one of the lowest paid playing coaches in the league. Sounds like a few sour grapes there Referee?

Angry Mal, you'll find Skills didn't build a team up that were getting flogged every week, Eddy did. Skills took over a team that finished second on the ladder and had lost a prelim final that they were 6 or 7 goals up in at half time and should have won. BB have not improved on the field since then, having slipped back if you look at ladder positions, (haven't played in a prelim since). Although All Things Saintly has said they have been fitter, more professional and had a better game plan, as a supporter, I would have rather seen them improve on the prelim final loss which would have meant a grand final showdown.

What I think Referee was referring to about Skills getting the boot is that since Skills took over, BB have not improved on the prelim final result the year before he took over. I would have thought BB would have wanted a flag, or at least to play off for one in the last two years, as they were on the brink when Skills took over the reigns. Skills was a player at the club the year before he took over and you wouldn't have thought the transition would have been to hard.

Looking at the recruits this year I think they should definitely improve once they gel and BB should give it a shake. From what I have seen in the two practice matches, especially against Barny, we will be a good side once we work out how everyone plays and the skills sharpen up. I think this could be our year as a lot of the other top teams seem to have been very quiet in their recruiting with not many of the top teams looking like they will improve, except maybe Holbrook. If BB under perform this year I can't see why the club wouldn't look elsewhere for a coach as Skills would have had his chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

HUME LEAGUE -2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back