Hundreds of tickets remain unsold for Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Its amazing this year how easy tickets are to get, just yesterday I was offered corporate tickets for 500 each and I could have as many as i wamt up to 6, the packages were price at $1350 each. Ive been to 10 pies grand finals and finally seen the pies win last year with my son so this year we have decided to have a bbq (pissup!) and watch it at home with some mates.

Are you mental? You have an opportunity to watch your team play in a grand final and are having a BBQ instead? For all you know this could be the last grand final you ever get to see Collingwood play.

It's not a blip on the radar at all - 20,000 tickets at $1500 is $30 million. That's why the AFL are so protective of the number of tickets given to clubs to flog off every year, because it's an important revenue stream.

Not that i'm justifying the annual gouge, but it's not like you can give them all to members at face value and the financial hit won't be felt by the clubs.

So Collingwood and Geelong fans have to sit out because poor clubs like North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs desperately need the revenue from scalping tickets?

What a generous competition we have.

Collingwood CEO Gary Pert has slammed the ticket allocation process:
"We're interacting with 70,000 members throughout the whole season and then the one thing they're dreaming of is for us to get into a grand final and then we get there and all of a sudden we know we’re not going to have enough tickets," Pert told SEN this morning.

So Collingwood and Geelong fans have to sit out because poor clubs like North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs desperately need the revenue from scalping tickets?

What a generous competition we have.

Collingwood CEO Gary Pert has slammed the ticket allocation process:

I dont' recall Pert being vocal about the issue in years when Collingwood didn't make the grand final.

If anyone knows a direct way of getting a deal today, please be sure to post up the details.

I hate the fact that the member who forks out for a membership, travels to many games interstate and closely follows their team has next to no chance of obtaining tickets.

These authorised onsellers are nothing more than legalised scalpers. No clubs should be getting an allocation if they aren't walzing at the Big Dance. The AFL should also have a corporate department selling a minimum of corporate tickets (ie corporate boxes & AFL official function) and the rest of the tickets should be going back to the competing members.

Footy clubs want you to fork out for memberships. The AFL wants you to attend games. Come finals time, it's a different kettle of fish. He whom has the deepest wallet, wins.

The biggest joke is the other 15 clubs getting 1000 tickets each.

Ridiculous.

Its actually 750 but obviously there is an extra club. I've always thought that by reducing the amount of these potential 'corporate' tickets, it would increase the demand for them and potentially even up there price further.

The other thing i've though with competing club allocations. I think the more games you go to, the better chance you should have of securing a ticket. For example a collingwood 11 game home member, who attended every game i feel has more right than a legends member who went to 3 games. Obviously some system would have to be put in place to track this though.

I hate the fact that the member who forks out for a membership, travels to many games interstate and closely follows their team has next to no chance of obtaining tickets.

These authorised onsellers are nothing more than legalised scalpers. No clubs should be getting an allocation if they aren't walzing at the Big Dance. The AFL should also have a corporate department selling a minimum of corporate tickets (ie corporate boxes & AFL official function) and the rest of the tickets should be going back to the competing members.

Footy clubs want you to fork out for memberships. The AFL wants you to attend games. Come finals time, it's a different kettle of fish. He whom has the deepest wallet, wins.

It comes down to the entire strategy of Demetriou, and that is to maximise revenue at the expense of clubs, fans, players.

The fixture is compromised to maximise revenue, making it unfair on certain clubs to compete.

The Grand Final ticket allocation is compromised to maximise ticket sales, at the expense of fans.

The players put on the spectacle, and Demetriou tries to avoid giving players a retirement pension, particularly for players effected with injury for the rest of their lives.

Demetriou runs a policy of "take-take", not "give-take".

He's willing to burn all bridges to ensure the AFL gets top dollar.

I'm not complaining about the AFL seeking greater revenue, I'm against it seeking revenue by taking from the major stakeholders in the game ... the fans, the clubs, the players.

The Grand Final is a gift for the fans who support the game week-in, week-out, year-in, year-out. It shouldn't be viewed as a money sucking revenue stream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've managed to get a hold of several tickets

Don't send me any pm's i'm going to be selling these for top $ on sat

Actually, if you’re gonna talk shit to in an attempt to be funny, it helps your cause to at least make some degree of sense.

Rather than being smart, you couldn’t actually sound much dumber - what you’re saying is in direct conflict with the reality being referred to in this thread - the longer GF week goes on, the cheaper the tickets get.

Nobody, you or the AFL, will be getting “top dollar” on Saturday, because anybody who can afford to pay “top dollar” has already paid it, and there’s plenty of tickets left. Prices are now being slashed to try to clear them out because they’ve crossed the line where demand = supply, and the market (which is already under other external pressures atm) is biting back.

FWIW I hope there’s bay upon bay of clearly visible empty seats on Saturday, it’d be the public kick up the arse for the AFL to finally maybe sit down and fix it, rather than paying everybody lip service and releasing about 1% more seats to members every year. It’d suck this year but might improve things in the long run.

Finally ROFL @ Gary Pert, so next time Collingwood AREN’T in the GF, you’ll be handing back your 1000 tickets for competing club members? No, you’ll be flogging them for the highest possible price just like everybody else. Plenty of snouts at the trough here, including EVERY AFL club. Pert is like a hitman, criticising the bloke who signs the kill contract for having a lack of morals.

The biggest joke is the other 15 clubs getting 1000 tickets each.

Ridiculous.

I completely agree, but I don't recall Collingwood or Geelong handing their back when they weren't in the GF so the competing clubs members could get in.

Instead of 1000/club, it should be.

200/club for sponsors/coterie/officials,

The rest go to the competing clubs, with all non competing clubs getting $400K compensation. ( ie, 500/ticket ) to make up for the loss in fundraising.

I was offered a ticket yesterday to attend and declined.

Couldn't think of anything worse than being there when my team isn't in it.

Gave up 2 tickets last year and gave them to my Dad who is a Pies fan. Even he doesn't want to go this year when I offered him the one that came my way.

Ive got cousins who are Geelong supporters who attended the 3 Grand Finals from 07-09 and loved it but just wanting to kick back with friends this weekend.

I've attended 4 finals during the first week and many games throughout the season as a nuetral fan (with my AFL membership) but this weekend is far more enjoyable when having mates over and not spending a fortune on waterd down beer at a cold and miserable MCG.

I completely agree, but I don't recall Collingwood or Geelong handing their back when they weren't in the GF so the competing clubs members could get in.

Instead of 1000/club, it should be.

200/club for sponsors/coterie/officials,

The rest go to the competing clubs, with all non competing clubs getting $400K compensation. ( ie, 500/ticket ) to make up for the loss in fundraising.

and if they did that, all prices for all tickets would increase to help pay that 6.5 million payout.

Collingwood supporters have known all year that there is no guarantee for them to get to the Grand Final, that they would need to find other packages to get them.

Just today I have been offerd two full corporate packages consisting of 2 x reserved seats, pre and post match refreshments and after-party etc. These were offered to us for free from a group we do business with! Naturally I took them with glee...

I already had my tickets so have now given them to a mate and his wife who go every week and could not get a gig.

Don't want to sound ungrateful for what has fallen into our laps..but that you can have corporate entities ringing clients one day before the game trying to give away tickets while thousands of club members cannot get near one for love or money stinks.

I was offered a ticket yesterday to attend and declined.

Couldn't think of anything worse than being there when my team isn't in it.

Gave up 2 tickets last year and gave them to my Dad who is a Pies fan. Even he doesn't want to go this year when I offered him the one that came my way.

Ive got cousins who are Geelong supporters who attended the 3 Grand Finals from 07-09 and loved it but just wanting to kick back with friends this weekend.

I've attended 4 finals during the first week and many games throughout the season as a nuetral fan (with my AFL membership) but this weekend is far more enjoyable when having mates over and not spending a fortune on waterd down beer at a cold and miserable MCG.

You have a point. I've been to 3 Grand Finals.

I love the Prelims more than the GFs due to the atmosphere.

The crowd makes a game come alive. Last week against the Hawks was just manic.

When you have 70,000 neutrals sitting there, a significant number of which fly in from Sydney and don't know what's going on, it dampens the spectacle.

I love going to the pub with a few friends, watching the big match with genuine footy supporters.

I'm going to this GF because I love my footy club, that's it.

When you have 70,000 neutrals sitting there, a significant number of which fly in from Sydney and don't know what's going on, it dampens the spectacle.

Number is no way near that. 12,000 Pies, plus 12,000 cats Plus 20,000 AFL/MCC members of competing clubs and then on top of that everyone buying $1300 tickets (why would you pay that price as a 'Neutral'?) so the number of supporters will be 60,000+.

Worst excuses I have ever heard. Laughable. It wouldn't have anything to do with them trying to flog them off for $1500, nah, it's cos it's the Cats fourth GF in five years and last year was a draw. :rolleyes:

It makes sense, Pies supporters know their team will play better next week and are thus saving their $ this week.

I've managed to get a hold of several tickets

Don't send me any pm's i'm going to be selling these for top $ on sat

What is the point of your post?

To rub it in the face of diehard Geel/Coll supporters who would love nothing more than to be there?

Flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hundreds of tickets remain unsold for Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back