I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude you are just bitching like an old person. The game has moved on! You do have an option to watch the VFL..your team plays in the VFL..yet you complain?

Anyway its not my issue that your coach decided to use the swans as the yard stick.

Dont be a condescending old timer, the gme is so much better than it has ever been. Not my fault your club has been poor for so long, i too would be fed up if i followed a team like richmond.

Mate, just telling people why I am losing my love for footy, got nothing to do with how my team is going because if that was the case I would have stopped watching 20 years ago.

Problems that I have with the game these days
- the game is to political.
- The mystery of what goes on behind close doors is basically gone.
- To much media.
- no one knows whats going on with the Match review panel
- Prices
- the game is over-analysed
- Commentators are shocking
- Not many Characters playing the game that make you want to go and watch them

Your last point is spot on, no more characters, the pasteurization of the game for big business has killed it, I was for expansion but as several have mentioned new clubs have no culture or core supporter base, and from what I see not ever likely to have, look at the lions as example seriously struggling off field.....rule changes have destroyed your average run of the mill football fan , afl continue to preach how great the game is through ratings/attendance/memberships, it's all bullshit compromised fixture is what they are relying on.....game is no where near what it was in the 90's....glad Demetriou is finally leaving....

In my opinion, finals are better than they ever have been. It’s the 23 rounds proceeding it that suck. It’s only natural in this increasingly professional game that game-plans are meticulous, teams better drilled. There’s a lack of spontaneity though. There’s only a few players from other teams worth watching.
Last year’s GF while not great, was still better than probably most of the 90’s GF’s.

You must be joking or your 13 years old? Last years GF was horrible to everyone except hawks fans, mcavenays comment " one for the ages" after that goal showed how bad a game it really was.....

Several other issues the afl have stuffed up and fans get treated like crap, the whole essendon drug thing, still basically nothing has happened, at least finalize something either way....the Melbourne tanking issue, of course they tanked the afl think we are idiots and they get away scot free.....

Ok so based on everybody's reply i can conclude.

1. if you are over 35, you are old and have no idea
2. if you are under 25 you have no idea on how football should be played.
3. if you support a good team, footy is fine
4. if you support a bad team, footy is terrible.

So thanks for clearing things up
How is any of that even remotely close to what I said?

No need to be facetious.

Hird coaching next year.

Injecting drugs legal or illegal for performance enhancing is not a good look.

Several other issues the afl have stuffed up and fans get treated like crap, the whole essendon drug thing, still basically nothing has happened, at least finalize something either way....the Melbourne tanking issue, of course they tanked the afl think we are idiots and they get away scot free.....

I think this is the biggest issue and the pricing but we all knew that with tight arse Vlad in charge.

The game was at it's peak around 1967 to 1980 then it dropped off.

:D

All the best music came from that era also.

Maybe when Richmond win a flag again,music will be restored likewise?;):p

The main difference between 1967 to 1980 and football now is everyone can watch every game, back then you would be lucky to see two games a week.

I think you are trying to generalise a specific issue. Your issue is the fact you support Richmond, not the AFL.
Your club has been promising success for over a decade - but due to poor management, personnel, strategy and lack of real heart and talent (despite the advantages of being a big Melbourne club), it celebrates getting close to the final eight, knowing that it will get smacked.

You have taken the bitterness you feel (being cheated by your club's continual incompetence) and turned it into a broadside against the game. Why? because when you watch a neutral game, it simply holds a mirror up to why your club is so embarrassingly second-rate - and will probably be that way for many years to come.

The solution: follow the Swans - and regain your pride - do away with your self-loathing.

Your last point is spot on, no more characters, the pasteurization of the game for big business has killed it, I was for expansion but as several have mentioned new clubs have no culture or core supporter base, and from what I see not ever likely to have, look at the lions as example seriously struggling off field.....rule changes have destroyed your average run of the mill football fan , afl continue to preach how great the game is through ratings/attendance/memberships, it's all bullshit compromised fixture is what they are relying on.....game is no where near what it was in the 90's....glad Demetriou is finally leaving....

Some good points there, only problem is Demetriou leaving is not going to make any difference. The structures are in place and will remain that way, its all about the money now.

Use the sub rule as an example. IMO the reasons they gave for its introduction severe impact between players, more free flowing games etc have not come about and in some instances have gotten worse but I have not heard anything about them reviewing this. Its just one example of many that shows how stubborn they are and refuse to acknowledge mistakes they have made and its always some external factor. Again, this wont change especially if Gillon gets put in charge.

As for the characters, sport across the world has just become that way with all the corporate money involved and concerns about brand reputation.

Only character in pro sport I know off at the moment (admittedly I am not across many overseas sports) is this guy.

What's with all the soccer comparisons these days? KB and a few people on this board. I suggest watching an actual game of soccer. Footy still 50x more exciting

I think you are trying to generalise a specific issue. Your issue is the fact you support Richmond, not the AFL.
Your club has been promising success for over a decade - but due to poor management, personnel, strategy and lack of real heart and talent (despite the advantages of being a big Melbourne club), it celebrates getting close to the final eight, knowing that it will get smacked.

You have taken the bitterness you feel (being cheated by your club's continual incompetence) and turned it into a broadside against the game. Why? because when you watch a neutral game, it simply holds a mirror up to why your club is so embarrassingly second-rate - and will probably be that way for many years to come.

The solution: follow the Swans - and regain your pride - do away with your self-loathing.
If wanted to follow a Sydney team it would be Sydney City Roosters and I'd watch League :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL Richmond have won ten premierships in the days when you played every team TWICE.
Membership is third best in the league when our club has been arguably the worst onfield.
Still the best supporters in the league.
Best colours,jumper ,song ,mascot and we are are located right in Richmond Paddock where the G sits.
More larger than life characters than any other club.
The roar of the Tiger Army is unmatched.

I wouldn't follow any other club for all the tea in China and beer in Germany.
Stick your minion clubs up the clacker.

Richmond still remind me of what football was like before the money and Vlad came in.
Richmond is tribal,soulful,spiritual and passionate all those things that are being sifted out of todays corporate game.

No wonder all the other teams win flags these days in the corporate world.

Richmond is about what's inside your heart.Always has been.

Last edited:
What's with all the soccer comparisons these days? KB and a few people on this board. I suggest watching an actual game of soccer. Footy still 50x more exciting

I think its a reference to the kick sideways, hold, pass hold style and players falling to ground for free kicks, but other than that you're right soccer is much tougher than AFL right now.

You must be joking or your 13 years old? Last years GF was horrible to everyone except hawks fans, mcavenays comment " one for the ages" after that goal showed how bad a game it really was.....

Such short memories. The 80's produced the worst most one sided finals and the worst crowds. It started in 1980 when Richmond beat Collingwood by 83 points. Hawthorn won two GFs by over 80 points and Essendon won at least one by that margin. The GF's of the 2000's have been outstanding in comparison. Last year's was the first disappointing one for a while and even that was reasonably tight. 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010(draw) 2011 for three quarters was a classic and 2012 were all fantastic games.

There were games at Vic Park in the 1980's when it was being used as a home base by Fitzroy for some games that had around 4000 people. I still remember when a St Kilda player had to climb over the fence to get the ball because there were no spectators in the outer. Richmond had to have cans rattled to save the club their attendances were so bad. Don't you remember the SOS campaign?

Then put up with it. Football is played the same everywhere you go and sure it looks terrible the lower you go..but thats footy. The kick it to a contest or bomb it long to a KPP is yesterday style and wont come back.

Footy has evolved in all grades.
No. The WAFL is not played the same as the AFL. However, unlike the VFL, it's not inundated with AFL sides. It's has just two and one was and is a basket case. The skills aren't all terrible because it's all relative to the opposition. The kick long to a contest style is still common.

Lack of big forwards? You chose a weird time to state this when big forwards dominated this weekend. Brown 4, J.Riewoldt 4, Cloke 4, Franklin 4, Pavlich 4, N.Riewoldt 5, Crameri 4, Henderson 5, Hawkins 5.
ROFL, you call kicking 4 goals in a game dominating!? Back in the 90's, every week at least one of Dunstall, Modra, Lockett, Sumich, Ablett, Longmire, Carey, Grant, Jakovich and Richo was kicking a bag of 7-8. There was frequently a 10+ goal effort, Ablett/Lockett would kick them in losing teams. Kicking 4-5 goals is a nice solid effort; to put in perspective, David King kicked 7 in a team that lost by 125 points in the 2000 qualifying final.

Spot on.

My issue with the game ATM is how its still too vic centric based. The whole notion that a gun player would be bigger if he played for a vic based side is a perfect testament that the AFL is still a VERY victorian game.

And the predicable nature which is the media. Every week they drown in hyperbole and contradictions. Every single week its the same. The only team who has escaped any kind of grilling by both fans and the media is hawthorn. In fact the hawks have been the most over rated most hyped up side of the past decade. I mean ffs they recruited a KPP..one that won the norm smith..yet no one batted an eye lid that 2nd best team was allowed to recruit a gun fullback, albeit a bit lesser $, but still a KPP and yet when the swans did it..it was the end of the world.

Now the same ****en media are trying to turn 2012 for the hawks as a small bump in what has been the best club to ever grace AFL.

The whole 1 rule for the big 4 vic clubs and another rule for the rest of the comp is grating on so many levels. Had what the bombers implemented done at a lesser club i am 100% sure that club would prob be on its last legs. The coach would have been chased out of australia and hounded and rep ruined.

But not with the bombers..heck we got to a stage that the ****en AFL offered to stage manage Jams Hird suspension and FFS the head boss even went on to bat for them in regards to sponsors by calling them up.

And the very guy who brought so much shame to his club and the code is now on a paid holiday in france, he is still being paid handsomely and has been offered a walk up coaching gig at the very club he shamed.

I mean what gives? what the **** gives?

I TELL YOU WHAT GIVES...THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WRITE ABOUT THE GAME AND GOVERN IT ARE FANATICAL SUPPORTERS!! Yes thats right these people should be objective ion their approach..but they are not so their passion for their clubs dictates how they write and run the code.

James Hird would have been shamed to the point of leaving australia for good if he wasnt an ex bombers player.

No. The WAFL is not played the same as the AFL. However, unlike the VFL, it's not inundated with AFL sides. It's has just two and one was and is a basket case. The skills aren't all terrible because it's all relative to the opposition. The kick long to a contest style is still common.
Any proper VFA supporter will tell you the more reserves sides the better, as it means more of the old VFA teams standing on their own two feet. The alignment model simply does not work for either party, unless you do a Hawthorn/Box Hill or Carlton/Preston and just take them over.

I'd be more than happy to have all the Victorian based AFL teams field reserves sides, the more stand alones the better!

LOL Richmond have won ten premierships in the days when you played every team TWICE.
Membership is third best in the league when our club has been arguably the worst onfield.
Still the best supporters in the league.
Best colours,jumper ,song ,mascot and we are are located right in Richmond Paddock where the G sits.
More larger than life characters than any other club.
The roar of the Tiger Army is unmatched.

I wouldn't follow any other club for all the tea in China and beer in Germany.
Stick your minion clubs up the clacker.

Richmond still remind me of what football was like before the money and Vlad came in.
Richmond is tribal,soulful,spiritual and passionate all those things that are being sifted out of todays corporate game.

No wonder all the other teams win flags these days in the corporate world.

Richmond is about what's inside your heart.Always has been.

And after all that you are still the laughing stock of the comp and havent done anything for nearly 35 years.

Richmond won flags in the era where players smoked and drank beer 10 minutes after a game and rasing money for the club was done on pie nights. **** that man..its one aspect of the code i am glad is long gone.

ROFL, you call kicking 4 goals in a game dominating!? Back in the 90's, every week at least one of Dunstall, Modra, Lockett, Sumich, Ablett, Longmire, Carey, Grant, Jakovich and Richo was kicking a bag of 7-8. There was frequently a 10+ goal effort, Ablett/Lockett would kick them in losing teams. Kicking 4-5 goals is a nice solid effort; to put in perspective, David King kicked 7 in a team that lost by 125 points in the 2000 qualifying final.

It's call context idiot.

Love the sport, love my club, hate the organisation.

The Essendon saga is what really turned me off. The whole season was run as a soap opera instead of the thing that matters - the footy. Speculation every week about Player X in free agency, also gets on my nerves.

I don't mind the defensive footy. Fremantle can play electric football at times. Introducing rules against this style of play is what irks me. The game is constantly evolving and should be allowed to develop without rule changes trying to push in a certain direction. Would live the rules committee to cull a few rules at years' end.

On the interpretation of the rules, it's is better than last year, but so, so inconsistent it's mind boggling. I was speechless watching a bit of the Blues v Dogs game. This also applies to the MRP.

The inequality is another thing that annoys me. There are a few teams (Swans, Pies, Cats) who have dominated the competition for most of the decade, contrasted with a few (Lions, Dees, Tigers) who have languished at the bottom for the most part. Watching the same teams get up again and again gets a bit stale. With the rise of GWS and GCS still to come, it isn't going to get any better. Also on inequality, the massive perks that Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon get despite their performance. Guaranteed to get great timeslots, FTA exposure.

Overall though it is the fact that the AFL has failed to listen to the fans. Numerous rule changes, poorly thought-out expansion, bizarre adjudications.

Oh and neutral games are very difficult to watch on FTA when Brian Taylor, Basil etc. are commentating.

Any proper VFA supporter will tell you the more reserves sides the better, as it means more of the old VFA teams standing on their own two feet. The alignment model simply does not work for either party, unless you do a Hawthorn/Box Hill or Carlton/Preston and just take them over.

I'd be more than happy to have all the Victorian based AFL teams field reserves sides, the more stand alones the better!
That's not the point of my post. My point was that the WAFL don't play a poorly skilled, bastardised version of AFL football. They have a different style best suited to the skillset of the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back