I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

If the blues were on the verge of winning a flag or had just won the flag i am 100% sure you wouldnt be having those thoughts. You know carlton have no chance at a flag in the next few years so you are depressed and projecting it to all games.

Sorry but i dont see the same thoughts from many hawk fans i come across. Dont underestimate how much your hate of the game at present is a direct correlation of your club being no chance for a flag for a few years.
Bollocks. Notice who I support?

I love the Hawks but the modern game bores me to tears. I used to watch 4 or 5 games a week on TV, sometimes 2 or 3 live. And I would see 12 to 15 live Hawks games a year, even in the mid to late 90s when we were shit.

Up to 2011 I still attended 12 Hawks games a season but nothing of any other teams.

Last year I went to 6 Hawks games and only watched a majority of the Hawks games and nothing else either live or on TV. This season I haven't been to a game and have only watched highlight packages on YouTube.

And my club plays the best football in the league.

The Asada scandal has opened my eyes up to the corruption within the AFL

As a Melbourne supporter the tanking investigation had a similar effect - I always knew there was corruption and double standards in the AFL and media however that was as stark an example as ever that was personally impacting my club. To see one club cop the fallout from the tanking issue which had been rife through the AFL for many years before we were even implicated and which the AFL had turned a blind eye to and constantly deny exists, and to see the media refuse to hold the AFL to account for scapegoating one club was disgraceful.

There have always been many things in life more important than football but that doesn't explain a sudden drop off in crowds and interest by neutral supporters. Most die hard fans will watch games involving their own teams to the death but, it seems, many are like me. I turn the TV on in anticipation for every game that time permits but find, more often than not, that I hand the remote to the wife by halftime and I've never done that before and I'm only one year older than I was last season.

My biggest bugbear is that there now seems to be no such thing as "prior opportunity" or "incorrect disposal". Tackles are better than ever but being rewarded far less often.

I don't know what the point of the i/c cap is but all it seems to have done made coaches run players even closer to the point of exhaustion and, I may be wrong, but I would think that will create more injuries.

In my personal opinion there is too much running in todays game and I'm buggared if I think that ball movement itself is as quick as it was 20 years ago. Too often the game just looks like one big rolling rugby maul or, alternatively, a soccer style keepings off game.

I too am losing interest.

Agree with this.

Use to watch every match in the past, and will start to watch most games now but very often don't get beyond half time. My love of footy hasn't diminished but the game has changed, and for many reasons (including in the above post) it is just not attractive as it has been.

It will be a concern to the AFL and they will again seek to address the issues with rule changes, and other measures, which may or may not work.

I don't understand people's gripes about footy not being as good as the 70s and 80s. Basically any game I have watched before the mid nineties was watching a pack form, the ball spills, gets booted long the other way, a pack forms, the ball spills, gets booted the other way until someone shirt fronts someone else or someone takes some bull***t amazing hanger. It was lazy and unintelligent football.

Footy used to be based on having better players than the opposition or hitting them harder. Now, there are strategies and disciplines in place to make sure that teams with lesser skills can compete with the teams that have better skills.

The only thing people don't like about the modern game is the numbers around the ball. I don't have a massive problem with it as it is never all that long in the middle, people just exaggerate the amount of actual game time spent in stoppages.

Numbers around the ball is central to footy now. I would suggest this may never change as it is something that is incredibly useful in AFL. Whether in the middle, in defence or offence, having extra numbers means you are more likely to win the footy. Taking away players or restricting interchange won't fix it as coaches will just pull players out of the forward line if need be. The only way they'll stop it is by introducing netball style positioning, if that happens then footy is dead.

If the blues were on the verge of winning a flag or had just won the flag i am 100% sure you wouldnt be having those thoughts. You know carlton have no chance at a flag in the next few years so you are depressed and projecting it to all games.

Sorry but i dont see the same thoughts from many hawk fans i come across. Dont underestimate how much your hate of the game at present is a direct correlation of your club being no chance for a flag for a few years.

Did you major in Psychology? and, if not, don't try to tell me what drives my view of the game. And if you did it must have been a bad year.

How many Hawks fans would have sat through the Richmond/Lions game or for that matter the Swans/Collingwood game and raved about the state of the game.

All clubs don't play crap football all the time just many clubs most of the time.

Edit see post above from a GEELONG supporter

So you see no correlation between style of play (contested ball as opposed to skill) and the general winter conditions in the respective states?

So one dry week in the VFL means that players should have changed what they'd been doing for decades? All the things you were taught were of most importance suddenly change when it's sunny?

It's no coincidence that skills have vastly improved as the surfaces have.

You haven't thought this through.

You really are just being an argumentative campaigner becasue nothing you offer as discussion makes sense..you are just being a contrarian. The fact is game style for 80 years was nothing more than kick it to a ****en contest at all costs..ALL COSTS regardless of the weather. This was considered the main objective of how to play rules in vic and it was simple and most times horrible to watch..unlike the WAFL and SANFL.

And i dont really know what the **** the point you are trying to make is..again just being a contrarian.

Did you major in Psychology? and, if not, don't try to tell me what drives my view of the game. And if you did it must have been a bad year.

How many Hawks fans would have sat through the Richmond/Lions game or for that matter the Swans/Collingwood game and raved about the state of the game.

All clubs don't play crap football all the time just many clubs most of the time.

haha you are not the last fan to hate the code due to knowing their club will be pathetic for years to come. You have a few options idiot, adopt and come to terms that this is footy OR just walk away and watch VFL and allow the rest of us to enjoy it. Bitching about the state of the game when your club is ubber crap says more about you than the state of the game.

Bollocks. Notice who I support?

I love the Hawks but the modern game bores me to tears. I used to watch 4 or 5 games a week on TV, sometimes 2 or 3 live. And I would see 12 to 15 live Hawks games a year, even in the mid to late 90s when we were shit.

Up to 2011 I still attended 12 Hawks games a season but nothing of any other teams.

Last year I went to 6 Hawks games and only watched a majority of the Hawks games and nothing else either live or on TV. This season I haven't been to a game and have only watched highlight packages on YouTube.

And my club plays the best football in the league.

oh well not my problem kiddo. Means you dont really like the code at all..and if you keep watching something you dont like then you have issues up there. I know if something i used to like changes and offers me nothing but stress i drop and do something else as much as it hurts me.

I enjoy the game just hate the baggage like the media and the vast amounts of conflict of interest in those who run and write about the game, namely the victorian bias.

You really are just being an argumentative **** becasue nothing you offer as discussion makes sense..you are just being a contrarian. The fact is game style for 80 years was nothing more than kick it to a ****en contest at all costs..ALL COSTS regardless of the weather. This was considered the main objective of how to play rules in vic and it was simple and most times horrible to watch..unlike the WAFL and SANFL.

And i dont really know what the **** the point you are trying to make is..again just being a contrarian.

I'm being argumentative?

You made a statement that the VFL was shit. Despite this being obviously wrong I gave you reasons as to why the game styles would differ in the respective states, and why someone like you with a seemingly untrained eye might view the VFL as being inferior.

You don't seem to like this input.

Don't post blatantly incorrect statements on a football forum and expect not to be taken to task.

I loved the 80-90's - Free flowing football, Era of the true Full Forward - But times changes, you either deal with it or move on.

People forget that 10-20 years ago media coverage was thin, we would be lucky to get 3 games a week live, so people watched all the footy they could get, now with nearly every game live, we see the flaws more so than the old times.

Blessing and a curse.

haha you are not the last fan to hate the code due to knowing their club will be pathetic for years to come. You have a few options idiot, adopt and come to terms that this is footy OR just walk away and watch VFL and allow the rest of us to enjoy it. Bitching about the state of the game when your club is ubber crap says more about you than the state of the game.

Seriously juvenile post.

I'm being argumentative?

You made a statement that the VFL was shit. Despite this being obviously wrong I gave you reasons as to why the game styles would differ in the respective states, and why someone like you with a seemingly untrained eye might view the VFL as being inferior.

You don't seem to like this input.

Don't post blatantly incorrect statements on a football forum and expect not to be taken to task.

Obviously wrong? I told you the reason why it was utter shit.

It was this for 120 minutes regardless of the weather or ground conditions:

Kick it to a contest, ball is spolied and picked up by crumber and kicked another 20 meters for another contest to be picked up by a shitty player who then kicks it sideways and it ends up looking like a massive scrap. Ump finds a free and then player kicks it long to another contest of 8 blokes no one takes a mark and it spills for another player to kick it to another contest. Its this way until one team kicks it to the only player who can take a decent mark for him to play on and kick it to another contest in the forward line for it to be spilled and kicked the other way and we restart with the long bomb but this time its going the other way.

Repeat and rinse for 120 minutes.

Clearly that's far superior to any kind of tactic that has been devised in the last decade.

Its why when the code was taken OS it was laughed at. I remember showing a game to my family OS and they laughed at the sillyness of the code and the stupidty of it all. Did they convert..no!

I am sure if I go OS and show my younger cousins the game again they would not laugh like they did back in the late 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numbers around the ball is central to footy now. I would suggest this may never change as it is something that is incredibly useful in AFL. Whether in the middle, in defence or offence, having extra numbers means you are more likely to win the footy. Taking away players or restricting interchange won't fix it as coaches will just pull players out of the forward line if need be. The only way they'll stop it is by introducing netball style positioning, if that happens then footy is dead.

Its a logical tactic which fails in the spectacle department but its a logical way to win the ball. But coaches are paid a lot to win games for their clubs at any costs.

I am laughing at neutrals who think its their god damn right to be entertained by teams they dont support.

Obviously wrong? I told you the reason why it was utter shit.

It was this for 120 minutes regardless of the weather or ground conditions:

Kick it to a contest, ball is spolied and picked up by crumber and kicked another 20 meters for another contest to be picked up by a shitty player who then kicks it sideways and it ends up looking like a massive scrap. Ump finds a free and then player kicks it long to another contest of 8 blokes no one takes a mark and it spills for another player to kick it to another contest. Its this way until one team kicks it to the only player who can take a decent mark for him to play on and kick it to another contest in the forward line for it to be spilled and kicked the other way and we restart with the long bomb but this time its going the other way.

Repeat and rinse for 120 minutes.

Clearly that's far superior to any kind of tactic that has been devised in the last decade.

Its why when the code was taken OS it was laughed at. I remember showing a game to my family OS and they laughed at the sillyness of the code and the stupidty of it all. Did they convert..no!

I am sure if I go OS and show my younger cousins the game again they would not laugh like they did back in the late 80s.

The only reason you didn't like the VFL was because your club was shit and wouldn't contend for a flag for years. That's how it works, yeah?

You're either new to the game or about 15. Either way you know f*ck all.

I don't see why every team needs to be purely offensive.
Why does every single game need to be a 40 goal ping pong shoot out?
The game hasn't lost it's identity, it's just found diversity.
I used to find myself bored to tears watching the free kick fests in the early 00's.
The congested, scrappy, physical games we have now break up the monotony nicely. :thumbsu:

You've owned me, I'll be back when school resumes.

What have you offered in this disucssion apart from the obvious about grounds? And btw i am 40.

I find it amusing that a carlton supporter churns for the glory days of the VFL when flags and rape allegations could be bought and silenced in the form of brown paper bags, oh the good old days when footy was real.

Oh poor carlton since they were forced to be legit they have been utter shit and their fans hate the code, cant watch any of it. LOL

For one i am happy the blues are pathetic and will be for a while. I had to grow up and listen to the arrogant flog blue supporters point down my club. I am glad the truth in how they went about their flags has been exposed.

Can't blame the teams like North, Essendon, Hawthorn who are excellent on the offensive.

The defensive teams like St.Kilda & Fremantle have begun ruining the game. They care more about wins than appealing football.

They don't hand out flags for appealing football, never have.
I didn't find the Brisbane premiership teams to play attractive footy. It was brute strength and effective.
Sydney - well, yeah. Ultra-defensive and got the best out their players
Ross Lyon has taken that to a new level
The Cats are the only current team that play with consistent attacking flair and have won flags.
The rest of varying modes of defensive

The only reason you didn't like the VFL was because your club was shit and wouldn't contend for a flag for years. That's how it works, yeah?

You're either new to the game or about 15. Either way you know f*ck all.

haha know **** all?

The real reason why you are offended is because your club is poor. Its obvious.

And yeah i would rather be proud of my club in the professional era of 2000s than be proud of a time where corruption, bastardy and raping girls and then paying them a couple of hundred bucks in brown paper bags was all in a days pay at Carlton.

While all of that might or not be true it isn't why a lot of people have lost their passion for the game.

It's the actual game itself and how it is played. Coaches have destroyed the good things about our game and turned it into a massive flood of players all over the ground. It is ******* ridiculous and all footy is now is chip, chip, chip, switch to other side, chip, chip as teams try to find a way through the mass of players.

The reason forwards don't kick bags is because there is no ******* room for them to lead and the ball gets in there too slowly.

The only reason that footy is still as popular as it is is because supporters love their clubs, not the game...

Spot on! I finding it harder to watch a full game on TV anymore and as soon as I get bored I start switching channels of do something else.

Ive played coached and watched Australian Football for a very long time and the game is NOT the same as it was only 20 years back
IMHO the coaches have way too much say in how our game is played and they are the ones destroying the things that made our unique game so exciting to watch like the one on one duels between champions who were not being tagged out of the play and the spectacular high marks - you are lucky to see one every round now.Lets get back to basics.

What have you offered in this disucssion apart from the obvious about grounds? And btw i am 40.

I find it amusing that a carlton supporter churns for the glory days of the VFL when flags and rape allegations could be bought and silenced in the form of brown paper bags, oh the good old days when footy was real.

Oh poor carlton since they were forced to be legit they have been utter shit and their fans hate the code, cant watch any of it. LOL

For one i am happy the blues are pathetic and will be for a while. I had to grow up and listen to the arrogant flog blue supporters point down my club. I am glad the truth in how they went about their flags has been exposed.

Just as a final "retort" you might want to doublecheck the post you're responding to. I have said nothing about glory days etc.

And judging by that post you are a very mature 40.

haha know **** all?

The real reason why you are offended is because your club is poor. Its obvious.

And yeah i would rather be proud of my club in the professional era of 2000s than be proud of a time where corruption, bastardy and raping girls and then paying them a couple of hundred bucks in brown paper bags was all in a days pay at Carlton.

Yes.

By the way, this isn't Bay 13 ********.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back