I think Ryder will be named new captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Paddy Ryder to be named new Essendon Captain

He is at the front of the poster because Essendon beleive he is about to become our superstar. He is extremely popular with the fans, and lots of kids are looking up to him as their favourite player. He is a marketable exitement machine!!!

could you just switch essendon to west coast and tack that on naitanui's bio for us. run a quick spell check on it too - ta. but seriously paddy is bloody great, reads the play well and is a very gifted athlete

I tend to agree with Dapto.

In Lloyd's absence (throughout the season), Watson captained 2 matches, including the final against Adelaide. I can't exactly remember, but I'm not sure if Ryder did captain any games.

I'd find it extremely unusual for Ryder to be announced Captain.

from memory watson mcveigh mcphee and welsh all captained the side while lloyd wasnt playing and knights said himself in an interview that one of those 4 or hille would be the captain next year. so it would be extremely unlikely for ryder to have been appointed captain.

could you just switch essendon to west coast and tack that on naitanui's bio for us. run a quick spell check on it too - ta. but seriously paddy is bloody great, reads the play well and is a very gifted athlete

Hey, this is BigFooty, Not BigSpellingbee. ;)

Can't see Ryder becoming our captain. It'll have to be Watson. Does anyone think McVeigh still has a chance?

McVeigh talked himself out of the job after this years issue. It will have to go to Watson, he's basically elected himself through his actions off the field.

Paddy will not be captain next season. Why do you want to weigh him down with that responsibility? He's a 21 YO kid still maturing as a player who could be a superstar. Let him focus on that. Jobe is a certainty to get the captaincy. He's the right age for our group, very articulate, leads by example and has matured as a player and seems to have the respect of the playing group.

If Paddy is named captain I will donate $100 to everyone in this thread.*

Just wanted to get my name in the thread.... just in case:thumbsu:

although I think your moneys pretty safe, cant see Watson being overlooked.. he seems perfect for the role... Let Paddy concentrate on his footy....not try to make him something his not...

Paddy will not be captain next season. Why do you want to weigh him down with that responsibility? He's a 21 YO kid still maturing as a player who could be a superstar. Let him focus on that. Jobe is a certainty to get the captaincy. He's the right age for our group, very articulate, leads by example and has matured as a player and seems to have the respect of the playing group.

Good post. Does anyone else think that Watson has a bit of Harley/Hird about him in the way that he carries himself off-field? Super impressive in the media. It would be great if he can gel the culture of our boys like the Cats have done.

I hope its not David Hille. Last year I saw him refuse a young girl an autograph at Family Day, citing "I don't do autographs." Not the sort of thing you want to see from any player let alone a captain.

I actually think Spike would be an inspired move - he would be guaranteed to come out and recapture his '07 form.

Ryder B. Bear?
No chance. I love the guy but I know carrots that talk more (no Bipolar jokes please)

Spike McVeigh?
No chance, due to indiscipline both on and off-field, bleeds red and black, most people do though seeing as blood from your veins (veinous blood) is deoxygenised as it has already carried the oxygen to the parts of the body that needs it.

David Hille?
Maybe depending on injury, amazing captain though.

Jobe Watson?
Probably, very consistent, daddy was a champ.

Andrew Welsh?
If he wasn't a complete bogan, had an IQ, consistency and could kick anywhere but sideways then maybe.

BPB's Roughy...
Ty Zantuck
Sure, he was de-listed 4 years ago but if a **** like Ty can play a game of AFL football then surely he is an inspiration to his team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed :thumbsu: Watson for me

This doesn't make any sense. Not believing till I see sauce. Paddy is meant to be quite introverted.

tomato_sauce_masterfoods.jpg

:D

Hell just froze over, the pigs are flying & Paddy Ryder has been announced as the captain of the Essendon Football Club....

Geezuz guys wake up.. this is a big load of horse $hit.

No one at the EFC is the complete package the way Watson is. Jobe Watson is the 2010 Captain -

Nope.

After Sheeds' article saying Paddy should be captain, I saw him, in the following two games, neglect to tell his team mate that he was hot, and stand there silently as we gave away a holding the ball free kick.

I love the guy, and he will be a genuine superstar, but not captaincy material.

I hope its not David Hille. Last year I saw him refuse a young girl an autograph at Family Day, citing "I don't do autographs." Not the sort of thing you want to see from any player let alone a captain.

I actually think Spike would be an inspired move - he would be guaranteed to come out and recapture his '07 form.

You could find isloated incidents like that for every single AFL player.

I saw David Hille out at a pub last month having a drink with his mates (inc Jobe) and he posed for a picture and quick chat with me.

I'm torn in this debate.

If Hille hadn't done an ACL, he would've already been named captain IMHO but the injury and fact that he hasn't played with the group since Round 5 puts Jobe in the frame.

My concern with Jobe is that to be captain of a young list you need to have a bit of **** about you. Lloyd had it, Hirdy had it, Bomber had it. Does Jobe?

For example, I think on day one of preseason somebody needs to grab Hurley and in no uncertain terms let him know that his actions pre Grand Final will never ever be tolerated. I'm thinking Lloydy-like pinning him against the locker and ripping through him. Hille could do something like that but could Jobe?

I also feel that Hille can do things on the field which are more 'captain-like inspiring'. Jobe is already our most important player but he does things that don't necessarily inspire the team in the manner that a Hird or Lloyd would. If you see a 200cm/110kg bloke run a midfielder down or lay a **** off huge bump (ala Simon Black) that inspires teammates.

I've actually convinced myself in this post that I want Hille to get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ryder will be named new captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back