Iconic movies - school me!

Remove this Banner Ad

There are definitely some great modern movies but I do think there’s a Disneyfication under way, where a lot of edge on mainstream films have been focus grouped away and made corporate friendly (different to things being made “woke”, to the extent that means anything anymore I think any normal person should celebrate that films can now be told by and from the perspective of a more diverse range of characters).

That said, to the question of “why are all these movies so intense?” I think a lot of them are movies people posted that they loved as teenage boys, when you would see things like this and it would be like “wow that’s so subversive”. A film like Beau travail wouldn’t have appealed to me as a 15 year old in the way that Se7en did, but if I had to pick one now, it’s not really a contest (though I still do like Se7en).
Se7en is pretty timeless (even the production design is pretty deliberately ambigious with cars and typewriters and the like).

I can say from the iconic list that was developed theyre not all "intense" (Dead Poets and Jerry Maguire were on there) but some of the more intense movies have iconic moments
"WHATS IN THE ****ING BOX"
and become iconic.

Se7en is pretty timeless (even the production design is pretty deliberately ambigious with cars and typewriters and the like).

I can say from the iconic list that was developed theyre not all "intense" (Dead Poets and Jerry Maguire were on there) but some of the more intense movies have iconic moments
and become iconic.
tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmm, maybe? I suppose it's mostly men making recommendations to me and stereotypically speaking they're probably more inclined to choose action or thrillers than women are? That's a huge assumption by me though.

I think it’s fair to say this forum is majority men. And that film only in the last decade or so began seeing something closer to parity in female directors telling their stories etc so that’s probably even more distorted.

For films that are a bit more in the romance side of things from this era, I’ll throw out:

Before Sunrise and its sequel, Before Sunset
The Bridges of Madison County
In the Mood for Love
The Piano (the “romance” isn’t particularly romantic but it’s the greatest movie ever made by a woman, I think)

and become iconic.

I get they’re not all intense but I just mean they’re either easily digestible or things that are more obviously shocking. Like when I first saw A Clockwork Orange it shocked in a very obvious way, but as an adult 2001: A Space Odyssey leaves a greater impression (and these days seems the more “iconic”, although they both are).

Anyway, obviously that’s a difficult thing to define - as you mention there’s iconic scenes, but the image of Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear might be iconic but I don’t think the film Risky Business is, if that makes sense. Obviously its subjective and anything can be iconic to any people (I know some people can quote Spaceballs at length but I had no relationship with that movie, but then for whatever reason I watched As Good As It Gets repeatedly, a film that’s mostly forgotten but meant a lot to me).

I think it’s fair to say this forum is majority men. And that film only in the last decade or so began seeing something closer to parity in female directors telling their stories etc so that’s probably even more distorted.

For films that are a bit more in the romance side of things from this era, I’ll throw out:

Before Sunrise and its sequel, Before Sunset
The Bridges of Madison County
In the Mood for Love
The Piano (the “romance” isn’t particularly romantic but it’s the greatest movie ever made by a woman, I think)
THANK YOU!

Remove this Banner Ad

Iconic movies - school me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back