Ideas for Round 24 Bye.

What would you prefer?

• Championship of Australia (State League premiers)

• All Star Match (current AFL players)

• EJ Whitten Match (Retired players and celebrities)

• AFL Womens Grand Final

• Other

• Junior competition.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

^^Really like that idea

The only thing is, the AFL wouldn't be able to make that call unless they were positive both clubs would miss the finals. If one club was, say 10th with 5 rounds to go, then there is a chance they could make the finals.

But if both Essendon and Carlton were 16th and 17th, then I reckon it would be a go-er. Make the standalone game a real family-friendly affair.

The only other game this might apply to is St.Kilda vs Brisbane at Etihad, but Essendon vs Carlton would be ideal.

18 v 17 for pick 1
16 v 15 for pick 3
14 v 13 for pick 5
12 v 11 for pick 7
10 v 9 for pick 9

Lowest ranked team gets the home game. Let's have a kruezer cup!!!
this was pretty much what I was going to say, but perhaps just the bottom 6.

this was pretty much what I was going to say, but perhaps just the bottom 6.

Gives every team not in a final something to play for. And one spot higher with draft picks, could net the team the player they want.

I reckon this year, Brisbane v Carlton would have been an awesome game to watch, with the prize.

No. September is about viewing and celebrating the best not others. Perhaps the before the Olympic 100m final they could run the slowest 8 qualifiers to see who really is the world crappiest athlete. Real good stuff to get the fans motivated.

yeah maybe. what would you suggest?

No. When your team qualifies for finals all you want is to get on with it.

This will prove to be the most ridiculous move in AFL history and never will occur again after 2016.
Seven teams will lose momentum and the old Hawks will refresh and go onto another flag completing the Fourthorn. Everyone will then go berserk.

This can only be about the broadcaster. Something must be on that weekend and they don't want the football. Its the weekend Sept 2,3,4. that's between the Olympics and Paralympics. Or they want the Grand Final on the weekend of October 1.

Four peat assist. Love it

It does smack of weak leadership.

Like at school or work they wont take a couple of idiots to task so they make a related rule which inconveniences all the other pupils staff but the original two predictably ignore it

It does smack of weak leadership.

Like at school or work they wont take a couple of idiots to task so they make a related rule which inconveniences all the other pupils staff but the original two predictably ignore it

It's all about that one decision to allow Brad Scott his way. Big mistake. This issue will be a disaster.

Should've just capped Brad at 6 changes and North would've rolled Richmond anyway.

In the long run the AFL Mens Grand Final and the AFL Women's Grand Final will need to be held on separate dates. The simple reason for this is say if the women's teams that got in were Footscray and Melbourne but the mens teams were Collingwood and Carlton the chance of anyone supporting the women's teams getting a ticket would be zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL wouldn't have done this with Malthouse in the bubble.

At Least the AFL have the interests of the game in mind and won't stand for coaches tearing at the fabric of the game.

Bit of a howler of a decision though that should've just been a cap.

Going to be fed a whole bunch of bullshit about this week and it's going to ruin the season for at least a week.

Demetriou wouldn't have pulled this shit.

Could just make Round 23 a spilt round. If you're a chance at making finals you play Week 1, if you've got no hope you play Week 2 to fill the gap while the Top 8 rest for finals.

For the Championship of Australia to last it has to be called such to have any prestige about it.

Foxtel Cup? That could be anything.

Why does the 'Championship of Australia' title matter?

Because 100 years back your club won some games that would have a massive asterix against them now and still pretends it means something?

Why does the 'Championship of Australia' title matter?

Because 100 years back your club won some games that would have a massive asterix against them now and still pretends it means something?
What about Australian State League Championship.

Just not a sponsored name competition. If it was to be sponsored attach it like the AFL do e.g. Toyota Australian State League Championship.

Could just make Round 23 a spilt round. If you're a chance at making finals you play Week 1, if you've got no hope you play Week 2 to fill the gap while the Top 8 rest for finals.
The one issue you might have is when all but maybe 2 or 3 games don't include potential finalists.

So the following week you have 2 or 3 really shit games leading into finals.

Seven teams will lose momentum and the old Hawks will refresh and go onto another flag completing the Fourthorn. Everyone will then go berserk.
oh yes, you are on to something here, like when they watered the track dead/slow for Makybe Diva's hat-trick!
Sporting organisations do love assisting the birth of legends.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that when we get to about round 18 and the AFL decide to release the round 23 fixture, that they may decide to schedule a couple of games during the bye round (so effectively it won't be a bye round anymore) for the teams that are not in finals contention.

Thus, what we may end up having is 7 games on the first weekend, and the two games on the "bye" weekend might by Essendon vs Carlton on Friday night and St.Kilda vs Brisbane at Etihad.

That's my prediction. I actually don't think it will end up being a bye round. I think the AFL will change their mind, and the two games on the second weekend will be themed as family friendly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideas for Round 24 Bye.

Back