Ideas Now!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm talking from an interstate perspective - Ricky Ponting has been totally invisible as a Number 1 Ticket Holder to me. (Although I know he's a mad and true supporter)
What do you see as the role of the #1 ticket holder? For example what specifically have the Essendon and Collingwood #1 ticket holders done to get them to their current position of power?

Still a big fan of the idea of selling unissued shares back to a supporter trust group as a means to raise capital and eliminate debt.

What do you see as the role of the #1 ticket holder? For example what specifically have the Essendon and Collingwood #1 ticket holders done to get them to their current position of power?

Quite frankly I don't have a clue who the number 1 ticket holders of Collingwood and Essendon are (also they don't need the marketing and public attention we do). I don't think the Number 1 ticket holder needs to have a role, the point I've been making is that it would be good if we could use ours in a more marketable way. (Eg having him just happen to wear a North Melbourne guernsey or hat somewhere, have him sing the club song at the end of a game etc).

How about a TV add with Ponting and Archer something along the lines of:

Ponting running around during a mock game in the NMFC gear and Archer playing cricket in the Australian gear make it a bit of a comedy like the Toyota ads?

I'm talking from an interstate perspective - Ricky Ponting has been totally invisible as a Number 1 Ticket Holder to me. (Although I know he's a mad and true supporter)

You'll see less of him over the next 12 months (with a record 20 Test matches + ODIs & 20/20 games scheduled).

But Punter does a stack of behind the scenes stuff for the club. Making himself available for events and the cricketing memorabillia he hands over for the club to auction off - among other things.

You'll see less of him over the next 12 months (with a record 20 Test matches + ODIs & 20/20 games scheduled).

But Punter does a stack of behind the scenes stuff for the club. Making himself available for events and the cricketing memorabillia he hands over for the club to auction off - among other things.

Yes I know he does all this wonderful stuff for the club but unfortunately this type of support does not flow onto membership.

As I have stated previously in a post on this thread Ricky's love of the club needs to be verbalised into a membership drive plea.

This of course could only be achieved if someone from the marketing dept. informed Ricky about our dwindling membership numbers and told him how important a membership drive plea could be coming from him in attracting more membership.
The flow on effect from such a drive could ultimately result in many new supporters signing up.

Another idea I have been considering which would be an amazing coup if it could be pulled off is-

` QANTAS to be approached for sponsorship.
QANTAS and the KANGAROOS go hand in hand, The Kangaroos signify
the qantas emblem.
The Pies have Emirates and they have absolutely nothing to do with
Magpies.

` Kangaroos fly interstate frequently, in turn creating excellent
opportunities for Qantas media exposure nationally.

` Qantas could explore a whole new market of potential flyers by
sponsoring The Kangaroos. We have members all around the state,
who travel interstate and I am sure overseas at some time.

Perhaps someone from the club may have approached Qantas at
some time but this would need to be checked out.

` A multi national company such as Qantas surely could be enticed
(of course if handled correctly by being presented with an
outstanding presentation by the club) to consider
a sponsorship figure in the ball park of at least $1million or more.

Will keep on giving this more thought but just putting it out there for consideration and feedback by others.

Until he retires as an employee of the ACB I would think that Ponting's hands are tied a fair bit when it comes to promotional activities. He has to be careful not to be shown in any other sponsors gear etc.
On Qantas, I think they would be an absolute gem of a sponsor to have. It wouldn't even need to be a massive figure. As a more minor sponsor but with massive publicity for both of us would be good. We give them exposure and they do the same.

Until he retires as an employee of the ACB I would think that Ponting's hands are tied a fair bit when it comes to promotional activities. He has to be careful not to be shown in any other sponsors gear etc.

Spot on I mentioned this earlier on in this thread, Ricky's ACB contract prohibits him from doing non cricket related appearances.

On Qantas, I think they would be an absolute gem of a sponsor to have. It wouldn't even need to be a massive figure. As a more minor sponsor but with massive publicity for both of us would be good. We give them exposure and they do the same.

Good point but smart marketers would make sure it cuts both ways with some joint promotion by the Kangaroo's players for cricket.

Spot on I mentioned this earlier on in this thread, Ricky's ACB contract prohibits him from doing non cricket related appearances.

Plus his other 18 personal endorsements worth millions per annum complicates things.

And not wanting to come across as a killjoy, but Qantas have mega bucks tied up with sponsorships with the ARU, A-League & to a lesser extent with the AFL - rather than at a club level.

Doubt they'd come on board in any meaningful way as long as we have the Gold Coast arrangement (as Qantas don't fly into Cooloongatta from Melbourne). May be an opportunity to hit up their subsidiary JetStar (as per Titans who they're the major sponsor of) or Virgin - who also fly directly into the Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus his other 18 personal endorsements worth millions per annum complicates things.

And not wanting to come across as a killjoy, but Qantas have mega bucks tied up with sponsorships with the ARU, A-League & to a lesser extent with the AFL - rather than at a club level.

Doubt they'd come on board in any meaningful way as long as we have the Gold Coast arrangement (as Qantas don't fly into Cooloongatta from Melbourne). May be an opportunity to hit up their subsidiary JetStar (as per Titans who they're the major sponsor of) or Virgin - who also fly directly into the Gold Coast.

Yes I understand all of this but unless a direct marketing approach was made how do we know that there would be no interest from Qantas or their subsidiary.

Unless the club have approached Qantas covering all possible sponsorship components then it must be done.

Yes I know he does all this wonderful stuff for the club but unfortunately this type of support does not flow onto membership.

As I have stated previously in a post on this thread Ricky's love of the club needs to be verbalised into a membership drive plea.

This of course could only be achieved if someone from the marketing dept. informed Ricky about our dwindling membership numbers and told him how important a membership drive plea could be coming from him in attracting more membership.
The flow on effect from such a drive could ultimately result in many new supporters signing up.

We gotta get this guy involved in our membership campaign.

I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be aware of our our precarious position isn't he part owner of the Stride management group with Ron Joseph, Glenn Archer and Anthony Stevens?

Pharro is right, clubs in the EPL derive the majority of their money from TV rights. They also derive money from football related stuff that NMFC cant get because they dont have their own stadium and dont have their own website eg.
  • ground advertising
  • ground naming rights
  • stand naming rights
  • selective advertising on own website
They also seem to do a lot more corporate hospitality, eg pre match food and events.

Some match day things NMFC could do
  • Match day sponsor (different sponsor for every home match)
  • Match day ball sponsor
  • Shorts sponsor
  • Socks sponsor
Off field activities, we just need to get an income stream that isnt directly related to football, yet we can leverage off with advertising etc.
  • What about a tie in with Mazda and buy a car franchise
  • Purchase a cafe in Errol Street
  • Possible part ownership of the Levenson
  • Produce a Kangaroos visa card (already done by most clubs in EPL)

The really annoyijng thing is that Every club is at the mercy of the AFL

- AFL has the TV rights
- AFL owns our logo

Anything that we do financially would have to appeal to the entire pulic (ie not appear to be tied to the club)

• What about a tie in with Mazda and buy a car franchise
  • Purchase a cafe in Errol Street
  • Possible part ownership of the Levenson
  • Produce a Kangaroos visa card (already done by most clubs in EPL)

St Kilda has a free "bopo" credit card available to members at the moment - it works like a credit card but you have to load money on it before using it (so more like a debit card really I guess). Definitely a good idea.

Another multi national company that could be a possible sponsor is NIVEA SKINCARE

I do not think they have ever been involved in AFL

What a way to promote mens skincare, sun screens as well as their ladies range of products.
The NIVEA company colours are also blue and white.

Could be tied in with the Swim Safe message - impressing the importance of usinge sunscreen even when in water etc etc.,

Deodorants, soaps, moisturisers etc., all products that are used by men and women.

With the good looking players at our club what company would not want their mens pamper range and line of everyday cleansing products to be used and advertised by these good looking males.

There WOULD be endless possibilities of promotion for NIVEA and their products if they were to get involved in a Kangaroos AFL sponsorship deal with the NMFC.
I see great potential in this company- thoughts?

Don't know if these has been mentioned before:

1. Free membership to the club to new arrivals from overseas. Nothing more Australian than a bloody Kangaroo. By establishing links with local communities i.e. Sudanese this can be achieved.

2. Allow members the option of buying a parcel of shares through a special levy on membership tickets. Must be optional though and i personally would pay an extra $50 a year for 10 years to get the shares back in members hands. After all the shares have been purchased make them redundant and go back to the same voting system as other clubs. This would allow shareholders to get a return on their investment, at a good price, and return the club back to their rightful owners. Us!

2. Allow members the option of buying a parcel of shares through a special levy on membership tickets. Must be optional though and i personally would pay an extra $50 a year for 10 years to get the shares back in members hands. After all the shares have been purchased make them redundant and go back to the same voting system as other clubs. This would allow shareholders to get a return on their investment, at a good price, and return the club back to their rightful owners. Us!

has anyone actually asked the club if this would ever be a possibility ?
ie. releasing more shares ?

Have a look at Gumbyroo's thread recently re an NMFC Supporters Trust. This is pretty much what he is proposing. Get behind him with this one as I think it is perhaps our only answer.

has anyone actually asked the club if this would ever be a possibility ?
ie. releasing more shares ?
You don't want to release more shares mate - you want less of them. We need to try to purchase the existing shareholding back and get these in member's hands so we can unwind this ludicrous structure.

You don't want to release more shares mate - you want less of them. We need to try to purchase the existing shareholding back and get these in member's hands so we can unwind this ludicrous structure.

But the only way to purchase the share holding back is people like Bob Ansett, De Rauch etc are willing to sell. Dont think they would release there grip on power that easily.
On the other hand, by only members to purchase shares, we can then dilute the power of the above shareholders ?? or doesnt it work that way ?

* have a share release of the unissued shares (2 million?), only extend the offer to current members. This could be a one-off or a part of each years membership forms. This would bring money into the club and be a statement of our resolve as supporters.

* Social club. Ideally a pub, with a good sized room set up as the social club with big-screens, memorabilia etc. The rest of the pub could be run as a local pub, ideally along the lines of The Rose in Fitzroy (cheap meals, all the footy games in different rooms).

*Donate a membership scheme. Would help build numbers and help target key areas/demographics such as the growing population of migrants from the Horn of Africa in the North Melb area.
* Consider playing games in Albury/Wodonga. North has reasonable amount of support (was our old zone) and games at Lavington have attracted good crowds in the past. 2 or so games along with an intensive program of footy clinics to raise the clubs profile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideas Now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back