If Australia win this test Steve Waugh should retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope...Keep it goin Steve.
Australia are going to be dominant for alot longer, this wont be the last test series Australia clean up 5-0.

Originally posted by PiesPremiers
Nope...Keep it goin Steve.
Australia are going to be dominant for alot longer, this wont be the last test series Australia clean up 5-0.

Exactly.

If he continues to perform (2 50s and a 100 from his last 4 starts) he should continue.

He is our most successful captain, if not the most successful captain in the history of cricket (nearly).

He has pretty much singlehandedly brought us back into this match with that innings.
There are few with that could play a captains innings like he just did then.

He has shown the knockers that he will be around for at leats the series against the windies.

The selectors have an agenda to slowly phase out a cricketer when he reaches 36.

If anything Trevor Hohns should be dropped!! :mad:

I agree with Squeak... not only will he go out on a high if he retires after Sydney, he will retain some dignity.

Some might remember Mark Taylor's last few series were pretty good, but in his final series (Ashes 98/99 in Aus) was poor and he left cricket known that gum-chewing bloke who went 20-something inings without a 50, not as an astute captain who holds the Australian innings scoring record of 334*.

This Test has been a fairytale for Waugh. Equalled Allan Border's record of 156 Tests, made a century when his position is/was in doubt, and reached 10,000 Test runs along the way... and could possibly be the captain of the first Australian team to belt England 5-0 since Armstrong's team of 1920-21.

A bad series or two this year may have him remembered as the bloke who hung on too long (Tony Lockett style).

Admittedly I've been calling for him to be dropped, so sorry if this sounds insincere. Obviously, he isn't going to be dropped now. But he might as well retire on a high. He's proven his point to the selectors. He's almost got his average back up to fifty, so he could retire as a genuinely great batsman. He's equalled Border's record for matches played, he could even do the Mark Taylor thing and elect not to break that record.

Originally posted by Darky
I agree with Squeak... not only will he go out on a high if he retires after Sydney, he will retain some dignity.

Some might remember Mark Taylor's last few series were pretty good, but in his final series (Ashes 98/99 in Aus) was poor and he left cricket known that gum-chewing bloke who went 20-something inings without a 50, not as an astute captain who holds the Australian innings scoring record of 334*.

This Test has been a fairytale for Waugh. Equalled Allan Border's record of 156 Tests, made a century when his position is/was in doubt, and reached 10,000 Test runs along the way... and could possibly be the captain of the first Australian team to belt England 5-0 since Armstrong's team of 1920-21.

A bad series or two this year may have him remembered as the bloke who hung on too long (Tony Lockett style).

What's this? Darky wants Steve Waugh to retire??? Never thought I'd hear you say that mate!! ;) :p

Seriously though, I'm not too sure what Waugh has to do to get the knockers off his back. Sure, he was a bit out of form last season, but even the great Greg Chappell went through a form slump.

I think Waugh should be given a chance to continue at test level. He is a class act and his form slump was only temporary. His age should not come into it.

Prior to the NZ series last season his series averages were:

(Aus/Ind) in Australia, 1999/00 55.20
(Aus/NZ) in New Zealand, 1999/00 53.50
(Aus/WI) in Australia, 2000/01 69.80
(Aus/Ind) in India, 2000/01 48.60
(Aus/Eng) in England, 2001 107.00

He averaged 44 in the recent series against Pakistan and currently is averaging 49 in this series.

Not bad for a bloke "out of form" and "past it"....

A couple of bad series in 3 or 4 years should not mean a bloke is dropped, considering his record over this period.

Plus, he is a terrific captain, admittedly with a fair side to work with, but they will never be complacent with Waugh at the helm.

And considering that the Aussie team has a full-time physio, players should be able to play beyond the 40 mark if they are still performing. Why get rid of a bloke just because he is 37, that's ridiculous IMO.

i hope he does continue, and have thought that all along, but for the first time, i will feel satisfied if he does decide to hang up the baggy green.

it will be a very sad occasion whenever it happens, but i get the feeling waugh wants to continue on. he has said before "if i play a hook shot it will be my last test innings, i'll just go out there and have fun, be flamboyant" lets hope he keeps that shot tucked away.... for now.

Hopefully the knockers may stay off his back now. Hohns, the print media as well as former test players are itching to see Waugh sacked. They may stay off his back now till mid way through the WI series.

I hope he stays. He has given cricket so much over the years, I just think they should allow him to go when he is ready. Age is only a number, Alec Stewart proved at 39 you can still make runs.

Originally posted by Goldenblue
Hopefully the knockers may stay off his back now. Hohns, the print media as well as former test players are itching to see Waugh sacked. They may stay off his back now till mid way through the WI series.

I hope he stays. He has given cricket so much over the years, I just think they should allow him to go when he is ready. Age is only a number, Alec Stewart proved at 39 you can still make runs.

i wouldnt say the print media are critics any more, they hopped on the bandwagon of public sentiment big time. little shallow reading some article about the selectors ill treatment of steve waugh when for the past year and a half these same journo's have been calling for his head. pathetic attempt to sell more papers IMO, but i guess it probably works.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Australia win this test Steve Waugh should retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back