If Burns retires Cloke needs to be named captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Id prefer Swan, oldest of the possibilites, very good media talker these days, very good player leads by example at all times. Throughout the year even iin our worst matches it was swan leading the way and trying to drag us to victory

Swanny is collingwood through and through isnt pretty blue collar player and loves it tough.

Have maxwell, pendlebury, and Cloke as his deputies.

Cloke and pendlebruy are both god choices but Cloke has to deal with being in the hardest position on the ground and Pendlebury is expected to be our next Buckley. Being captain maybe unneeded pressure

I reckon Cloke is about the only viable alternative to Burns now that Heath Shaw has ruled himself inappropriate. I hope Burns goes on though because I’d like Cloke to get another year under his belt, preferably as VC. What I suspect will happen though is that Fraser will be named captain. I shudder at the thought.

There's only one choice - We need to Pendlise the captaincy and do it as soon as Burnsy snatches it.

Cloke will make a great VC but pendles is the past, present and future leadership of this club.

Dont mind this suggestion at all!
Cloke if made captain could prompt him to really strive to improve even further and you know with that responsibility he would work hiss arse off every week and probably become more consistent.
Reiwoldt became a much better player when made captain and Cloke has the talent to get there but may need a prompt to realise what it takes to get to Reiwoldts level.

Age is irrelevant. I think he could be our most influential player next year so the choice is an easy one.

Disagree, I'd let him concentrate on CHF and maybe a DVC or VC role. Swan has stepped up as a player and is mature enough now to take on the role. Pendlebury and Cloke will likely both be captains at some stage but at ~21 or so they need more time.

I wouldn’t mind Swan myself but he isn’t in the leadership group and he had an incident a while back. I don’t think the club has him pegged him as a leader.
that incident was some time ago.

It was also quite obvious Swan became one of the major faces of the playing group and the club.

Hopefully that incident doesnt count him out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be Surprised if Maxwell became captain

I wouldn't be Surprised if Maxwell became captain
I quite like nick maxwell, ive defended him often.

But i would be massively surprised if he was named captain, Vice almsot definetly captain that would surprise me

I think Pendles or Cloke would have to get it to lead this young group in the coming years. As much as Maxy and Fraser 'bleed black and white' I do not see them as captain material. What is really needed is someone who inspires the playing group as a whole with the on and off field performances.

I quite like nick maxwell, ive defended him often.

But i would be massively surprised if he was named captain, Vice almsot definetly captain that would surprise me

Pendles and Josh will be captain / vice captain Opti. Just a question of order, surely.

Pendles the only sensible choice. He is the light, and it would be good to have a captain that's on the park from time to time.

Harry and Swan my votes for deputies, but no doubt Mick will find a way to get at least one his beloved hacks (Maxwell/Toovey/Clarke) in there.

Pendles and Josh will be captain / vice captain Opti. Just a question of order, surely.

Pendles the only sensible choice. He is the light, and it would be good to have a captain that's on the park from time to time.

Harry and Swan my votes for deputies, but no doubt Mick will find a way to get at least one his beloved hacks (Maxwell/Toovey/Clarke) in there.
If pendlebury is named captain then so be it he will do the job well.

My preference is swan as i see him as an on field leader and his off field woes are behind him.

How on earth can you call Clarke a hack, shit all three would be in teh side round 1 in respective roles

Age is irrelevant. I think he could be our most influential player next year so the choice is an easy one.

Age can be less irrelevant, depending on maturity, but only if you're a born leader. Cloke and Pendles are both too young. Unfortunately we don't have a stand-out leader at present. In 2 0r 3 years we'll have several to choose from.

Pendlebury (c), Maxwell (vc), Fraser (vc), Swan (vc)

Cloke for captain doesn't make any sense to me at all. Not the best player, not the best leader, not the best speaker, hasn't been involved in the leadership group, etc etc...

Pendlebury is the obvious choice, but if they don't think he'd get the full respect of the group in 2009, I'd rather them appoint a couple of co-captains (any of the above 4 including Pendles, really).

I agree with those saying in terms of long term Pendles is above Cloke in pretty much all things leadership / captaincy.

If Burns hangs it up it's almost certain that Josh will get it in a care taker role. I don't agree with it but I certainly don't think Pendles or Cloke is ready. Cloke has struggled with consistancy when playing as the number 1 foward. I think he really needs to get a hang of the responsibility that will be heaped upon him post Rocca before given extra leadership roles.

Pendles has strung really good seasons back to back and looks the clear choice long term. I still think he needs a bit of time an extra 2 seasons and he'd be cherry ripe which is what I'd expect to happen if Josh is given a care taker role.

if it wasnt for the drink drive heath shaw would be my choice, hes defaintely captain meterial. hopefuly he will get it after fraser
as for the others well cloke is too dumb, pendles too young, swan is not a leader type, maxwell could be ok but really isnt a good enough player

Remove this Banner Ad

If Burns retires Cloke needs to be named captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back