If Gary stays, who goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooney has said he wants one more year, but will play on less coin
Milburn may want to go on, but may need to be delisted and repicked up to be off seniors list, Moons thinks he might be there for a year or two
Ling will play on, coin for him not as important as having his rep still up there
Corey and Rooke should come back ok
Otto will want to go on, club might offer a lot less given the number of games he has played,

You may find everyone takes a little less so the squad is competitive next year. Blake might be squeezed out.

The problem is that the way the vets list works to come off the vets list he has to retire I think. This is Milburn's biggest impediment to staying on (despite his good form) as we really need to free up that vets list spot for the cap.

I would only trade Blake if he wants to go. It would leave a big hole in the side that we can't cover in the short term (assuming Ottens is near the end) whereas I think there's other players we can trade and cover better in terms of what we have coming through.

You can trade people who are in contracts you know.
So it doesn't have to be to the Suns.

I don't want anyone to go, but we aren't going to trade 28+ year old players.

So, prospective losses. With guys who possibly have decent salaries only

Bartel
Blake
Byrnes
Hawkins
Hunt
Johnson
Kelly
Mackie
Stokes
Taylor

Thats' about it. 1 or 2 of those will go unless there is a genius at GFC

Taylor and Hawkins are the bookends for the next 8 years, so no.

Mackie I would trade as he'd have real value, but Bomber will never trade him.

SJ again at his age is worth more to us than anyone else.

Bartel maybe but I doubt he'd go.

Kel I'm not sure of, that's a possibility, but I'd hate to see it happen.

For me Byrnes is the most expendable, followed by Stokes, although Blake may be too if he's on a lot of coin as some suggest, but I'd really be worried about our ruck depth next year if he went.

i suspect - and particularly if we win the flag - that any number of Ottens, Mooney, Rooke, Corey, Milburn and even perhaps Ling may retire. That should free up some space..
Hoping they (Ottens, Rooke, Corey,Milburn,Ling) ALL retire and we keep what we have and start rebuilding.

Mooney has said he wants one more year, but will play on less coin
Milburn may want to go on, but may need to be delisted and repicked up to be off seniors list, Moons thinks he might be there for a year or two
Ling will play on, coin for him not as important as having his rep still up there
Corey and Rooke should come back ok
Otto will want to go on, club might offer a lot less given the number of games he has played,

You may find everyone takes a little less so the squad is competitive next year. Blake might be squeezed out.
Just the opposite of what should happen

I can see Corey sliding into a back pocket as he starts to get too old for a rover.

Mackey is contracted. The fact that the club offered him a 4 year deal shows that they value him considerably more than many on this forum. He will not be going anywhere.

Personally, I think that Gazza will go and the club will not have to worry about who to unload to fit him into the cap.

Everything depends on what we do this September. Ablett's decision, Ottens, Corey's knee, ditto Max, may all be decided if we win. If we don't, there may be 1 final crack at in Bomber's potential last year. Lingy also may decide to go out on top if we win again. This year , even playing Ling and Corey looks risky. Max, no way. Once those decisions are made we see what is left.

Gamble/West could be attractive to GC.

I'm sticking with my original stance.

I reckon Gazza is going to stay.

I think you might find one or two of the senior players will pull the pin at the end of the season and that will free up some space.

I can see Corey sliding into a back pocket as he starts to get too old for a rover.

Mackey is contracted. The fact that the club offered him a 4 year deal shows that they value him considerably more than many on this forum. He will not be going anywhere.

Personally, I think that Gazza will go and the club will not have to worry about who to unload to fit him into the cap.
God I hope not.

JC is a champion of the club but the memories of him playing on the half back flank in 2006 still haunt me. Doesn't have the skills to play quarterback and doesn't have the pace or the aerial ability to compete with genuine small forwards. Keep him in the middle where he does his best work until it's time to say goodbye...

No way. Corey is a PAST champion but his knee is degenerate and he is barely able to play fortnightly, has never been a great kick, and is well past his best, may have to retire.

Yes, totally right. Mackie is unique and valuable.

No, Ablett will hopefully see the light and stay. A future team with Ablett, Selwood, Varcoe, T Hunt, Kelly, Motlop, Varcoe A, Johnson, Taylor, Hawkins, Menzel, Duncan, Mackie, Brown will still be an attractive proposition . Who knows, Nathan A. may make a comeback here.

Mackie signed a new 4-yr contract at the end of last year.

Eek.. Mackie is 1 player that will really get shown up when we start sliding a bit.. Hasn't been great at all this year..

I think we will lose at least a couple of mid-high earners this year Corey, Rooke, Milburn Ottens etc due to retirement.. so shouldnt have to sacrifice anyone to keep Gaz.

Eek.. Mackie is 1 player that will really get shown up when we start sliding a bit.. Hasn't been great at all this year..

I think we will lose at least a couple of mid-high earners this year Corey, Rooke, Milburn Ottens etc due to retirement.. so shouldnt have to sacrifice anyone to keep Gaz.

why does everyone bag Mackie? Integral part of our run off halfback. I'd take one of him over 2 Lonergans any day.

why does everyone bag Mackie? Integral part of our run off halfback. I'd take one of him over 2 Lonergans any day.

Mackie is starting to play very well. Why does he get bagged? When he comes back from injury he always take about 3-4 weeks to really get his form. One of his first 2 weeks is generally a shocker. Thats what i've noticed about him. People remember stuff like that. Then, even if he is playing great, all he has to do is make one fumble.

Ask Lonergan. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not everyone, and I agree, don't get it at all. Mackie is a very skilled and unique talent, but some expect him to be all things that his body is notr compatible with

not everyone, and I agree, don't get it at all. Mackie is a very skilled and unique talent, but some expect him to be all things that his body is notr compatible with

Backing into packs and helping your teammates has nothing to do with what your body size is, it's all between the ears. I agree at his best Mackie is helpful too us, but if he doesn't start doing the team things right, we will indeed get massively exposed with him as a defender when guys like Scarlo and Dasher retire. Bookmark it.

Retirees - Scarlett, Dasher, (and perhaps Otto?) save a few $$ for starters.

If those are the three then yes.

Having said that I'd be very happy to see Scarlo go round again.:thumbsu:

Mackie is a very skilled and unique talent

Problem is, this year the 'skill' hasn't been at that usual level.. He's had a hand in many turnovers this year due to his lack of physicality and general ability around contested situations. Look at the Dogs' early goals last week if you want proof..

I agree that when we are able to play our open, flowing style of football Mackie is able to find space and time which is really the only way he's able to shine. I just fear that as we decline, he won't have this luxury.

If Gazza stays, then we will have to let some players go. Mooney is 30, he may have another 1-2 years left. Milburn is 33, i think he'll hang up the boots after this season, especially if we win the flag. Ottens is 30, should be able to go on for atleast 1 more year. Ling is 29, can play another 3 years easy. Rooke is 28, still could realistically play on another 4 years but injury is wearing him down. Corey is also 28, will play on for a few more years. There the players that isee are nearing the end, the only one i can see retiring at the end of this season is Milburn, which i don't think would free up much space in the salary cap. I think we should say goodbye to Lonergan and Gamble.

If Gazza stays, then we will have to let some players go. Mooney is 30, he may have another 1-2 years left. Milburn is 33, i think he'll hang up the boots after this season, especially if we win the flag. Ottens is 30, should be able to go on for atleast 1 more year. Ling is 29, can play another 3 years easy. Rooke is 28, still could realistically play on another 4 years but injury is wearing him down. Corey is also 28, will play on for a few more years. There the players that isee are nearing the end, the only one i can see retiring at the end of this season is Milburn, which i don't think would free up much space in the salary cap. I think we should say goodbye to Lonergan and Gamble.

That won't free up much cap.

If Ablett stays there are only 2 possible outcomes to stay under the cap:

a) we force players into retirement (assuming they don't retire of their own accord)
or
b) we trade a good player (kelly etc).

Trading depth players will not do enough for the cap.

lonners, gamble, blake can go unless ottens retires

byrnes or stokes (i agree we dont need both)

milburn, enright, corey, ling, rooke, kelly

and mooney

think the club needs to make a few tough decisions at the end of the year our side is clearly getting a bit slow and some more pace needs to be injected into the side

dont know why people hate on mackie, he is a fantastic kick and generally a good decision maker, he isnt a defensive backman but still an important player

So.... it seems that for the benefit of a lot of the families of many players at GFC it will be good if gazza goes.

There will be a residual effect to gaz staying.

Having said that, he will tear carlton apart tonight.

Clear 3 brownlow votes. and FWIW 220 supercoach points

Earlier I was sure he would be leaving but lately... I dont know, the buzz from the Gold Coast doesn't seem as much as usual. They always had all knowing smirks and talks of how some players have been recruited, but lately theres been nothing. Although its possible the AFL told them to shut up.

Just wondering guys - as I am unsure about the contracts involved - but if Corey and Rooke could not play again - would we save enough money to make a significantly better offer to Gary ?

Add to this we will probably cut players like Gamble, West and a few lesser lights and Milburn may go (I hope not - again last night he was really good) - would this all add up to some more space in the salary cap that would look more attractive ?

Just wondering because these things could really happen IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Gary stays, who goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back