IF North defeat Sydney..

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I do believe they can defeat WC in a preliminary final. North Melbourne are an underrated side with finals experience and a few decent notches on their belt. There are a few reasons for me posting this, and I am ready for the missiles about to come my way. I had thought WC would get through as the most likely contender to Hawthorn, but, here are a few interesting points;

The WC win against Hawthorn was overrated. Hawthorn played very ordinary football that was unconventional and lapsed in effort. The margin was only 32 points, it wasn't the 'blow out' Big Footy and the media has portrayed.

North Melbourne have a dynamic tall forward line capable of stretching an Eagles defence, one can not understate Waite, Petrie, and Brown. Add in Harvey and a ruck unit containing an AA ruckman and you've got a pretty decent midfield/forward line. Not to mention Swallow, Ziebell, etc

West Coast are a young side, and I seriously need to emphasise that the week 1 win against Hawthorn was overrated. WC won that on the back of a break away burst, nothing in that convinced me that it was a solid 4 quarter effort. I give credit to their win for Hawthorn playing poorly.

North have plenty going for them, and they are a balanced and rounded side that can get to the GF if they play their best football. Time will tell, and tonight will be a great judge of how good North can be.

Sorry Perth fans, it looks like a long weekend in Melbourne rather than a GF party.

Get your rifles out, and please take aim at me, but try and do it in a measured way :)

I do believe they can defeat WC in a preliminary final. North Melbourne are an underrated side with finals experience and a few decent notches on their belt. There are a few reasons for me posting this, and I am ready for the missiles about to come my way. I had thought WC would get through as the most likely contender to Hawthorn, but, here are a few interesting points;

At the risk of sending down the barbs that you so clearly want for some odd reason, was that before, or after, you said we would go out in straight sets 10 days ago?

Hawks to win this by 4-5 goals, Eagles out in straight sets unfortunately.
I know that you don't rate us- thought we would lose to Hawthorn and then Adelaide in consecutive home finals, don't think we can beat North.. you thought Adelaide would be the first bottom four team to make a Grand Final as well.

On the other hand, I tend to think that the bottom half of the eight exist there because they aren't as consistently good as the top four sides. To then win multiple cutthroat away finals history shows is extremely difficult. All of the factors that caused Hawthorn to lose, although they only had an off night and the win wasn't convincing, will still be there when the Kangaroos or Swans play on Saturday week. The crowd will be the same, the pressure will be the same, the travel will be the same, and they will be playing a team who's had a week off.

That being said, matchup-wise the Kangaroos are a trickier proposition for us than the Swans, I think. Goldstein beats Naitanui almost half the time, but I wonder about the lack of clean ball movement through the middle for the Roos- Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow are brute strength players, you'll win a lot of clearances from them but they won't always be lace out to the forwards. Harvey and Dal Santo may be dangerous. The longer ground means that one of Brown or Petrie will need to roam further up for kicks, so hopefully the defence won't be stretched as much.

Who could say. I'll wait and see how they look against the Swans.

At the risk of sounding like a Freo fan to finish, I'm happy to take an unconvincing, overrated, only 32 point break away burst Prelim final win where the opposition played ordinary football that was unconventional and lapsed in effort and can I also mention they play poorly? However little credit you get for it, "a win is a win is a win and they'll never take it away from you" as my Dad used to say, and he knew a lot about losing money gambling.

So much lol.

It's like he just dismisses Sydney from the equation. North have little chance against Sydney and absolutely no chance should they win that at coming over to Subiaco and beating us.

The finished 8th for a reason.

I sincerely hope North do get over the line against Sydney. It will mean a much easier time getting into the GF.

I worry about North's tall forward line and the Eagles small defence. You would think Goldstein would be able to breakeven with NicNat, so the Eagles won't be able to dominate the clearances.

If North defeat Sydney...

Cant's see it happening. Swans have had their measure for the last few years (won 9 out of last 10) and barring an injury disaster on the night, will beat them again. North have been ok = good for the second half of the year and were lucky to come up against the Tiges last week who have their mental demons about both North and elimination finals.

Sure the Swans have 3 of their best 4 out but just can't see them getting done tonight.

Last edited:
I worry about North's tall forward line and the Eagles small defence. You would think Goldstein would be able to breakeven with NicNat, so the Eagles won't be able to dominate the clearances.
Not too worried. We defend as a unit. We also have McGovern and Schofield. Yeo can play tall. But the thing with us is that we beat you through the middle, we get it forward then we dont let it out again. We get repeat entries. The ball spends so much more time in our forward half. Then when you have blokes like Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, Hill, Cripps etc, we can easily kick a big score and win the game.

The WC win against Hawthorn was overrated. Hawthorn played very ordinary football that was unconventional and lapsed in effort. The margin was only 32 points, it wasn't the 'blow out' Big Footy and the media has portrayed.

North Melbourne have a dynamic tall forward line capable of stretching an Eagles defence, one can not understate Waite, Petrie, and Brown. Add in Harvey and a ruck unit containing an AA ruckman and you've got a pretty decent midfield/forward line. Not to mention Swallow, Ziebell, etc

West Coast are a young side, and I seriously need to emphasise that the week 1 win against Hawthorn was overrated. WC won that on the back of a break away burst, nothing in that convinced me that it was a solid 4 quarter effort. I give credit to their win for Hawthorn playing poorly.

North have plenty going for them, and they are a balanced and rounded side that can get to the GF if they play their best football. Time will tell, and tonight will be a great judge of how good North can be.

Sorry Perth fans, it looks like a long weekend in Melbourne rather than a GF party.

Get your rifles out, and please take aim at me, but try and do it in a measured way :)
Hopefully you receive intelligent missives rather than I'll-directed missiles

Eagles vs North would have a very similar outcome to the Hawks vs Crows match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like bad luck to even respond, but the fact the OP brings up North's last result against West Coast in Perth caps off an unconvincing argument. Eagles last year were a different proposition. Eagles this year just beat Hawthorn (there is a side with finals experience) by more than enough, and have had a week off, before playing again at home. Three good enough reasons to tip them against whoever gets through tonight.

Not too worried. We defend as a unit. We also have McGovern and Schofield. Yeo can play tall. But the thing with us is that we beat you through the middle, we get it forward then we dont let it out again. We get repeat entries. The ball spends so much more time in our forward half. Then when you have blokes like Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, Hill, Cripps etc, we can easily kick a big score and win the game.

North match up on you pretty well. They will have back-to-back traveling to do, so you should be able to overrun them. The last time you played us is totally irrelevant if we face off in the GF.

Feels like bad luck to even respond, but the fact the OP brings up North's last result against West Coast in Perth caps off an unconvincing argument. Eagles last year were a different proposition. Eagles this year just beat Hawthorn (there is a side with finals experience) by more than enough, and have had a week off, before playing again at home. Three good enough reasons to tip them against whoever gets through tonight.
I didn't bring up the last result in Perth

I think you are underrating West Coast. It isn't just that Hawthorn had an "off" day. West Coast MADE them have that "off" day. There is a reason why West Coast have only lost two games in Perth this year; against Hawthorn and Fremantle (fellow top 3 teams).

I don't think Sydney or North Melbourne can beat West Coast in Domain stadium tbh. But if anyone of the two would beat them, I'd think it is North Melbourne.

North tossing again, IF they beat us which given our bare bones they bloody well should, but as its north everyone has to say IF.
if we were up against Adelaide, the crows would be on their way to a prelim. But north? who knows they might win they might find a way to **** it up.

the simple fact is for north to beat us everything for them will have to go right for them and they have to keep their shit together for the whole game and IF they do all that?

The same thing that happened last year will occur, they will be physically and mentally spent after the game and the prelim team will walk over them.
North are team "potential" they have a chance everybody says every ****ing year and they do nothing with it.

North have the same ****ing chance of beating west coast as i have of winning tonights lotto draw. and yes feel free to quote me and bring up the swans humiliating performance at last years grand final, call me an arrogant Sydney supporter or bump the shit out of this thread if north manage not keep their shit together for 4 qtrs of footy and pull off "the great miracle" of a walk in the park for any genuine finalist.

Because it wont change shit, north will not beat WC they don't have what it takes and you'll all be fighting to be the first to deflate to norths tires your pumping up right now. they didn't have it last year, they don't have it this year and they won't have it next year. their making up the numbers under scott and winning a prelim is a bridge too far.

Remove this Banner Ad

IF North defeat Sydney..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back