If the AFL were to expand, where should the first new team be based?

• Cairns

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 50 24.6%
  • Canberra

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Darwin

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Hobart

Votes: 73 36.0%
  • 2nd Sydney Team

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • 3rd WA Team

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 3rd SA Team

Votes: 11 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This for me, is actually a hard question.

I ultimately decided in favour of Hobart, because:

A) It is one of the last bastions of traditional AFL football that does not have a major league team.

B) If Geelong can support a team, then why not Tasmania?

But I found it a hard toss up between Hobart, and a 2nd Sydney team. NSW is the biggest State in Australia, and I think the AFL should be working hard to have a 2nd team in Sydney soon, so there is a AFL game each and every week in Australia's largest capital.

Third priority would be a 2nd QLD team.

The next place will be Sydney - but wont be for many many years.
Tassie and Darwin would struggle to get crowds and sponsorhip, whilst WA and SA are not large enough for a 3rd team.
Even though the Lions have won 3 (and prob 4) in a row, they are still trying to break into the market up here.

The time to put a 2nd team into NSW or QLD is at the height of support which is based on the original teams form.

I doubt we'll see the Lions ever win 3+ flags in a row, so I'm coming around to the idea that South East Queensland is the best spot for a 2nd team, and the best time is now.

Sydney is close to ready, but need the momentum of a swans flag or two first.

Just a pity the AFL has closed up shop on expansion.

Originally posted by Mr Crow!

B) If Geelong can support a team, then why not Tasmania?

away team support for one, plus probably 5% of people from the 3,500,000 town 45 minutes up the road barrack for them also.

You didn't offer an Elsewhere option. Auckland would be ahead of Cairns - much bigger city with a growing Aussie Rules following, and would do wonders for the AFL's TV rights if it became big over there.

Sydney. Make the Swans accountable.

Originally posted by Hit And Rum
Yup New Zuland bro.

You thunk Sudney waza hard slog you would need fufty or suxty years of solid work to get kiwi excited bout Aussie aerial pung pong in NZ!

I thunk it is worth ut though for tha long term future of the game bro.

Too much RUM by the sounds of it,

I voted for Hobart, football tradition and strong following of the code, they only need 25,000 fans to become regular season ticket holders/members, and some state government support. .

Basketball and Rugby League didn’t work on the Gold Coast, 99% chance AFL will fail as well.

Darwin has the wrong whether conditions and wrong time of the year to play AFL football up there during the southern states winter’s.

Originally posted by MOJOE
whilst WA and SA are not large enough for a 3rd team.
I don't think Perth or Adelaide need or want another side, but surely that's a more viable option that 10 clubs in one city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by crows98
Too much RUM by the sounds of it,

Thank you for your vote of confidence crows feet.

They said the same thing about Brisbane and Sydney but they have noth turned into successful clubs with loyal supporter bases.

They might not be the no. 1 sporting team in their city but they have their market share and they fly the AFL flag.

The AFL needs to spread its wings and look at radical moves. When VFL club South Melbourne moved to Sydney it was considered wildly radical. After 20 years of solid work there is a base because it is a big money market. You have a whole city and a whole state. With NZ you have a whole country.

Originally posted by Hit And Rum
Yup New Zuland bro.

You thunk Sudney waza hard slog you would need fufty or suxty years of solid work to get kiwi excited bout Aussie aerial pung pong in NZ!

I thunk it is worth ut though for tha long term future of the game bro.
A hunerd yirs ago,they dud pley Aztruliun Ruls in Nuw Zelend.

Gold Coast, but play a few games in Cairns as well.

Darwin in 10 years

Take a punt and try the Kiwis, you never know, its on tele over there ATM and things seem to be growing.

Sydney-western Sydney is a long way off, but the pop is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back