If the AFL were to expand, where should the first new team be based?

• Cairns

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 50 24.6%
  • Canberra

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Darwin

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Hobart

Votes: 73 36.0%
  • 2nd Sydney Team

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • 3rd WA Team

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 3rd SA Team

Votes: 11 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Neutral Pussy
AFL has already failed on the Gold Coast. Do we remember Carrarra. (Plus the Geelong Hick jokes would stop:D )

Carrarra wasn't actually a failure . The original team was a joke , so they did well to blossum into a good team at a better venue .
According to they newspapers the hawks are going to play games at the GC next year due to the MCG repairations .

It's getting ridiculous how much the media focus on Collingwood. It's time for a second team from Collingwood. White and Black stripes. The Piping Shrikes. Go Carringbush! Rannald McDonnald for president.

Originally posted by Hit And Rum
Thank you for your vote of confidence crows feet.

They said the same thing about Brisbane and Sydney but they have noth turned into successful clubs with loyal supporter bases.

They might not be the no. 1 sporting team in their city but they have their market share and they fly the AFL flag.

The AFL needs to spread its wings and look at radical moves. When VFL club South Melbourne moved to Sydney it was considered wildly radical. After 20 years of solid work there is a base because it is a big money market. You have a whole city and a whole state. With NZ you have a whole country.

Not only are you going to be putting a new franchise into a foreign city to the code but they will always become the poor relation as well, New South Wales and Queensland have the swans and Lions already a new team just wont work. The logistics and financial losses would be astronomical.

Originally posted by crows98
Not only are you going to be putting a new franchise into a foreign city to the code but they will always become the poor relation as well, New South Wales and Queensland have the swans and Lions already a new team just wont work. The logistics and financial losses would be astronomical.

What are you talking about?

I want the team to go to New Zealand. I was just using Lions and Swans as an example of how through perserverance you can create something that may not be no. 1 but can be competitive and spread the game.

I voted Sydney. There seems to be a group of supporters who will go to games at Homebush but won't go to the SCG - the new team could have a crack at converting those people into regular supporters. It would give Sydney a game every week, and 2 local derbies a year; and means the health of the game won't be tied exclusively to the on-field fortunes of one club.
But at the moment, I'm sorely tempted to vote for the Gold Coast instead - if Gold Coast Council will build a 40,000 stadium in such a fast-growing area, strike while the iron's hot. If we don't and the NRL does, it'll be turned into a rectangular ground and we've lost the area forever.

I think Canberra would be the logical choice.

Sydney and Brisbane and not traditional Aussie Rules areas, and those that do support the game up there support the Swans and Lions. Realistically, who would support a second Qld side in those cities, even if the second Queensland side was based on the Gold Coast? Canberra is a traditional Aussie Rules stronghold, which has lost ground over the last 20 years due to the presence of the Canberra Raiders and, nowadays, the Brumbies. It is the nations capital, has around 300,000 people, and unlike the Gold Coast or western Sydeny, there would only be the one AFL side in the region.

Canberrra for me.

Originally posted by SaveFeriss
If Launceston and Hobart could get there stuff together it would be those guys without a doubt.

Until then the only logical choice is the Gold Coast.

What do you mean get their act together??? Local politics?

Is York Park in Hobart or Launceston?

Now, is there was a Tasmania team, where *should* it be based, Hobart or Launceston... I thought that since Hobart is the capital, it should be based there.

Should the team be called Tasmania, or Hobart?

Originally posted by Mr Crow!
What do you mean get their act together??? Local politics?

Is York Park in Hobart or Launceston?

Now, is there was a Tasmania team, where *should* it be based, Hobart or Launceston... I thought that since Hobart is the capital, it should be based there.

Should the team be called Tasmania, or Hobart?

Yeah, local politics. Though I may have the combatants wrong.

Maybe it's Launceston V Devonport, or Launceston V Hobart..

But I know from those Ive spoken to that that is the main reason they don't have an AFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by cos789
Carrarra wasn't actually a failure .

Ah, yes it was. The place was far to far away from Brisbanes CBD to attract any locals to the games, the only reason to put the Bears on the Gold Coast was because they were relying on support from the ex-pat Victorians who lived there.
The Carrarra ground nearly killed Brisbane, read "Football Ltd." if you don't believe me.

On topic, Canberra is the ideal place. The crowds have been encouraging, and the "local derby" with the Swans would be fantastic. Manuka or Bruce Stadium are the obvious places for the Canberra team, but both would need to be upgraded in capacity should the team really get successful.

Plus, plenty of ex-Vics live in Canberra. I myself stayed there for 8 months in my teens.

When I drove to Darwin last year from Melbourne (up and back THREE times!)... to whittle away the time of 4 days driving, 12 hours per day *per* trip, I thought of business plans of how to make an AFL Darwin team work.

Someone made a good point that the time of the year when the AFL plays is the dry season in Darwin... pretty obviously 'dry' and hot.

The stadium up here is not up to scratch, so what I thought of:

I believe that a new stadium would need to be built, ala an indoor stadium like the Telstra Dome. Obviously not the same capacity, perhaps around 30,000. Make it air-conditioned.

The whole community would get around an AFL team. Construction of the new stadium would create jobs thus help the economy.

There has been oft talk of having a Darwin team in the SANFL... so on the alternate week when the Darwin team is playing an away game, the SANFL team would play, thus making sure the stadium is used all the time.

The stadium would also be used for concerts, and other major events.

Perhaps make it a multi-purpose stadium, and make a basketball court... get a team in the NBL. (Perth will already be playing a few home games up here next year).

Fair point about Canberra Riccardo, but I can't see Canberra ever having the capacity to grow and take full advantage of success ..ala Lions.

It's a presumption but I imagine Canberra has a fairly stagnant population.

A a decent proportion of them would be docile politicians who will support any team willing to give them some equal publicity..

Hmm, actually I can see that on the Gold Coast too:p

EDIT: due to Wild Turkey

Okay, with the choices that have been listed in the poll, which nickname would you like to see for each potential team?

Cairns (Cane Toads, ???)

Gold Coast (Sharks, ???)

Canberra (Capitals, ???)

Darwin (Lightning, Thunder, Buffaloes, Crocodiles, Spirit, Dingo's, ???)

Hobart (Convicts, Mariners, Pirates, Devils, Islanders, ???)

2nd Sydney Team (???)

3rd WA Team (Sandgropers, ???)

3rd SA Team (???)

New Zealand Falcons

PNG Mosquitoes

Although they are the national team nicknames, so maybe not. Alas, there probably isn't the finances in PNG to support an AFL side, and the travel would be too much. But the interest is growing very fast, and soon the juniors will be being drafted. NZ is realistic though.

Gold Coast Sharks would be okay.... except maybe not how they want to promote a holiday beach destination?

Western Sydney Bulldogs if the Bullies can't stay afloat (although would be a shame to lose from Melbourne one of the few clubs that have a strong multi-cultural base).

3rd WA and SA teams are VERY unlikely. NT would be great but people don't realise just how small the population is.

Tassie and Canberra would be great if they can get the numbers to stack up.

Defnitely Hobart/Tasmania. AFL is fairly popular down there as recent attendance figures for certain York Park games, as well as TV ratings, prove. I'd like to see a team down there, but the only problem I have is that I can't imagine it...

Originally posted by Goat
New Zealand Falcons

PNG Mosquitoes

Although they are the national team nicknames, so maybe not. Alas, there probably isn't the finances in PNG to support an AFL side, and the travel would be too much. But the interest is growing very fast, and soon the juniors will be being drafted. NZ is realistic though.

NZ is crucial!

Do you think New Zealand would fully get behind and support an AFL side... as it is after all a foreign code.

By the way, what would the flight time be for example, between Perth and New Zealand?

Perth to anyway outside of WA isn't short. Most games will be NZ to Melbourne and a few to Adelaide/Sydney/Brisbane/Perth.

I think Auckland to Melb or Syd is about 3 hours (varies depending on flying there or back). So with half the games at home, and nearly half the others in Melb/Syd, an Auckland based side would probably spend no more time in the air than WCE and Freo. In fact Perth to Melb is about 4 hours.

But the main point is that it is done in other sports, so I can't see, flight-wise, why it can't be done for footy.

Will NZ support footy? If Sydney will, then yes. In fact, possibly easier because there isn't the ingrained NSW vs Vic rivalry, although there is the Aussie vs Kiwi rivalry. But that might be turned to advantage - I've spoken to non-footy Kiwis and they concede that Kiwis love to beat Australia at anything, and if the team had any success on the field then people would back it.

The work is being done now at junior level, and some Kiwis are starting to filter into various Australian leagues. Seriously, I think probably Gold Coast next, then Western Sydney, then NZ. Maybe Tassie or Canberra in there if their populations start to grow a bit more and they're doing well economically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back