If you could travel back through time.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Gabba 1994 - JD's 1000th goal, and from memory we held off a fast finishing Bears (something we couldn't do the following year). Or the 90,000 game v Collingwood @ Waverley in 1981. From the distant past, our first-ever win @ Victoria Park in 1960.

I was at the gabba in 94 for that game where JD kicked goal number 1000. I was also at vfl park in 1981 against the pies on queens birthday monday, in front of 92,935 people, as a 10 year old! great times!!!

Quite often when I visited the Glenferrie Oval, I'd go and sit in the stand behind the goals and imagine what it would have been like watching Hudson that day. I never saw a game at Glenferrie Oval, I feel as though I missed out.

As for Dunstall's 17, I was watching Norwood play that day at Football Park and scores kept coming through. He had 11 goals to half time and I felt sure he would break the record that day. On the Monday, I contacted the club to ask how I could get a copy of the match and was told they were looking for one themselves! Very disappointing.

Watching Peter Hudson at work was like watching a great artist, or a super magician at work, and I can not find a better way to describe him than this taken from Wikipedia.

Hudson's ability to win the ball was hard to pinpoint. There were times he seemed to gain possession of the ball ever so quietly and with consistent, nonchalant ease his tally of goals for the game would gradually climb. Among his armoury of skills, he seemed to have the ability to quietly sneak away from the opposition attendant full-back. Before the frustrated backman knew it, Hudson had taken a nice comfortable mark on his chest for a simple goal.

I will never forget round 15, 1968.
I had missed the whole season due to burst appendices, and had spent April to early July, in Allendale, and The Alfred hospitals, and was not really in any condition to attend a footy match. However two of my great mates of that time, one a Saint, and the other a Roo supported insisted I go and see Hudo kick his 100th goal. Nearly 30,000 people crammed into that ground that day, but it is one I will never forget.

To think we still had Dunstall to come shows just how spoiled we have been. I think a former number 23, might regret his decision to change clubs, as if he had have stayed at Hawthorn his name could have been thrown around with those two champions.

I'm another one for round 6 1989. I was at Adelaide oval with a large group of mates on the hill watching Sturt play Glenelg and the scores kept coming through from someone's radio. I don't recall watching the game I was at but I do remember hanging on every VFL score as they came through. I was astounded that Hawthorn could come back from so far down.

I would do two things:

Go and watch Peter Crimmins play.
I was going to the footy when he was playing but I cant remember him as I was just a young fella.

And, I would want to see the R6, 1989 Princes Park match against the Pussies.
I was a regular at the footy then too but I cant remember it either.:cry:
Maybe I didn't go that day.

The hero is Michael Tuck, who kicks 4 goals, including the goal to put us in front, before taking a match saving mark deep in defence with only a minute to go.
?
Aaah yes, backing into a pack, yet somehow leaping up off the ground to take some kind of hanger in the Essendon goal square, I remember it well.

Nice one

I would do two things:

Go and watch Peter Crimmins play.
I was going to the footy when he was playing but I cant remember him as I was just a young fella.

And, I would want to see the R6, 1989 Princes Park match against the Pussies.
I was a regular at the footy then too but I cant remember it either.:cry:
Maybe I didn't go that day.
R6 was something extraordinary there will never be another game like it. Thriling end to end football and so many goals kicked. Excel kicked 9 and his team still lost. A prelude of what was to come in the grand final ;). Finally you aint got quinlan and mckenna to call the replay afterwards. Some of the best quotes about the hawks came on that day :thumbsu:

Edit i know i know the 2013 prelim yes its up there

That is possibly the best game of football I've ever seen. Can't think of one better at the minute.

The only one that comes close, for me, is the grand final of the same year. I was at both games. Both different in their own way, but both amazing games of footy.

I'd like to see that game back in 19070-71 (somewhere around there) at Windy Hill when Leigh kicked like 9 goals playing on the ball. Had 40 kicks or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1991 Grand Final because much like this year it has been as fun as all buggery giving it to the arrogant West Coasters that were dominating in the lead up to the game. :)

The only one that comes close, for me, is the grand final of the same year. I was at both games. Both different in their own way, but both amazing games of footy.

I'd like to see that game back in 19070-71 (somewhere around there) at Windy Hill when Leigh kicked like 9 goals playing on the ball. Had 40 kicks or something.

And probably still didn't get the three Brownlow votes.

I was lucky enough to be at Waverly with my mum when Dunstall kicked his 17 it was a great game to be at although it was a one sided affair.

A match that I was also at with my Grandfather and Brother is the one I would choose to revisit though.

6th May 1989 Round 6 Princess Park Hawthorn V Geelong.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1989/091019890506.html

It was a thrilling battle and a hard fought win by the Hawks. We were down all day except when it mattered, a great spectacle, atmosphere and win.

Check out the 1/4 x 1/4 score on the link above.

At the time I had an uncle living in Darwin and the full match was televised up there, he would record the games and post them down on VHS. I still remember what was written on the tape "Never in Doubt" a saying I use to this day to surmise my feelings on a close win.

A close mention would go to a practice match of the Hawks I was at with an uncle. I think it was the pre season of 87.

My uncle sent me out onto the ground during play to get the back of my jumper signed by all the players, I would run over to each player when the opportunity arrived hand them the texta they would bend down and sign my jumper (I was 7). No one batted an eyelid and all the players seemed happy to sign.

I distinctly remember getting over to Chris Langford the guy was huge to my 7 year old eyes, I handed him the texta and turned around waiting for him to sign next thing he picks me up like a ledger signs his name puts me down and off I run.

Sadly the Jumper is no more......

An honourable mention would go to another match I attended at Waverly it was the Hawks dominating the Brisbane Bears. In good old fashioned Waverly tradition it was bucketing down the lower tiers were empty as everyone scrambled to the upper levels for cover.

My Uncle and a few of his mates (who seldom missed a Hawks match at Waverly as did I) ventured down from their usual haunt bay 51 below the scoreboard, to the right hand pocket to engage in some banter with none other then Dermie. In the thumping rain Dermie came over to the pocket and had a chat, I cant remeber the defender from Brisbane but My Uncle his mates and Dermie were all giving it to him. It all felt very social that day it felt like Dermie spent more time in the pocket talking that quarter then playing.

Great thread I have enjoyed sharing my wonderful memories of my experiences with The Family Club.
I was at that game.....pretty sure i had more possessions than most Brisbane Bear players....we were the only ones behind the goals getting the ball for the ump or the full back....great memories.... never been wetter in my life

To emphasise the my earlier post:

And that is only half of it.

Absolute utter bullshit that game was.

Most passages of play leading up to Essendon goals either involve a dodgy free kick to Essendon or a missed one to Hawthorn

The expception being Goldspink over ruling the Goal Umpire when he was in no position to do so

Most passages of play leading up to Essendon goals either involve a dodgy free kick to Essendon or a missed one to Hawthorn

The expception being Goldspink over ruling the Goal Umpire when he was in no position to do so

I can't remember it well, but wasn't Croad's poster in the last actually a goal?

Spent most of the game coughing up the ball to the opposition and ends up with 3 votes.

Someone said to me a few weeks back that Sam Mitchell should have won a Brownlow. I replied it is testimony to the man that he hasn't because Leigh Matthews never won one either. Why we give so much credence to an umpires' award I will never understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you could travel back through time.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back