Opinion If you could, would you reward the side who finishes top of the ladder as the grand final host?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you play a Grand Final in front of 50,000 when you can play it in front of 100,000? Take the emotion or your hurt feelings out of the equation. Anywhere but the ‘G is silly.

Because of merit and fairness, I think the premier should be able to decide where the grand final will be hosted the following season out of these choices: MCG, SCG or ANZ, Gabba, Adelaide Oval, and Optus. But it won't happen because of $$$ and the contract until 2058. In 38 years time, other stadiums might have an 80k capacity and then the AFL might review the system. Until then, it'll always be the VAFL.

And yet interstate clubs win GFs in which they take part exactly 50% of the time. It’s almost like if you look at the actual evidence there is no GF HGA

1991 - WCE lose
1992 - WCE win
1994 - WCE win
1996 - Sydney lose
1997 - Adelaide win
1998 - Adelaide win
2001 - Brisbane win
2002 - Brisbane win
2003 - Brisbane win
2004 - Port win*
2005 - Sydney win*
2006 - WCE win*
2007 ,- Port lose
2012 - Sydney win
2013 - Fremantle lose
2014 - Sydney lose
2015 - WCE lose
2016 - Sydney lose
2017 - Adelaide lose
2018 - WCE win
2019 - GWS lose

21 gf's
12 wins
9 losses

3 of the games involved all non-Vic club's.

1991 - WCE lose
1992 - WCE win
1994 - WCE win
1996 - Sydney lose
1997 - Adelaide win
1998 - Adelaide win
2001 - Brisbane win
2002 - Brisbane win
2003 - Brisbane win
2004 - Port win*
2005 - Sydney win*
2006 - WCE win*
2007 ,- Port lose
2012 - Sydney win
2013 - Fremantle lose
2014 - Sydney lose
2015 - WCE lose
2016 - Sydney lose
2017 - Adelaide lose
2018 - WCE win
2019 - GWS lose

21 gf's
12 wins
9 losses

3 of the games involved all non-Vic club's.
Yeah I meant 50% of the GFs they take part in against Vic clubs. Was taking it as given that non-Vic clubs win 50% of the GFs involving 2 non-Vic clubs!

The entitlement of the Vic fans to the GF is clear to see.
And there's no changing it because the VAFL* is lockstep in line with these fans, so there's no changing anything and hence not worth arguing about anymore, right?
What you really want to hear is "Yes, you are absolutely 100% right, there is no bias at all in having a fixed GF venue in the home state of one half of the competition, it's completely fair and even, apologies for suggesting that you are being favoured in any way whatsoever"

* Vics Always Forever League.

In a parallel universe where every club had their own home ground of 85,00 capacity or more, probably.
In real world, **** no.
Where the best ground to have it and have as many people as possible it becomes a no brainer.
Only exceptions are weird years like this, where best ground for it , not been made available.
1945 in war time, 1991 when MCG having too much reconstruction going on to do it and this year when Dickhead Dan ****ed up things so bad, not possible.

In a parallel universe where every club had their own home ground of 85,00 capacity or more, probably.
In real world, fu** no.
Where the best ground to have it and have as many people as possible it becomes a no brainer.
Only exceptions are weird years like this, where best ground for it , not been made available.
1945 in war time, 1991 when MCG having too much reconstruction going on to do it and this year when Dickhead Dan f’ed up things so bad, not possible.
I agree. Have it at the MCG. But get rid of more of the NON supporters and increase opposition supporters at the game. My understanding is that it's only 38% legit supporters, but Melbourne teams will have the advantage of stealing MCC and corporate supporters. Clubs should get at least 50% access.

Yes,

Vic clubs play the GF at MCG.

Interstate should play at their ground of choice if finishing top.

All Vic clubs should rotate through the season with equal number of games played at the MCG.

This means we then have an even competition without some clubs currently having a homeground advanatge at the G.

Make it fair, make it even, it will be a much better competition.

Some games would be played at night, some through the week, but fair fixture would be fantastic.

I had a look at Brizzy thinking they are having a good ride this year, all it’s done is highlight how lopsided it was to Richmond last year.

% of games at home or close by - 2020 Brisbane at the Gabba + Metricon 66.6%. 2019 Richmond at MCG + Marvel 74% (non Covid yr.)

I mean that’s about as favoured to one team as you get, the AFL aren’t even trying to hide it. What this year has done is highlight it actually happens every year in Melbourne.

Ok we are having an odd year, but are Collingwood having a run of 6 home games at the Gabba currently?

I had a look at Brizzy thinking they are having a good ride this year, all it’s done is highlight how lopsided it was to Richmond last year.

% of games at home or close by - 2020 Brisbane at the Gabba + Metricon 66.6%. 2019 Richmond at MCG + Marvel 74% (non Covid yr.)

I mean that’s about as favoured to one team as you get, the AFL aren’t even trying to hide it. What this year has done is highlight it actually happens every year in Melbourne.

Ok we are having an odd year, but are Collingwood having a run of 6 home games at the Gabba currently?
Mmm yep. All those games against Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon/Melbourne/Hawthorn at the G and North/St Kilda/Western Bulldogs at Docklands. Huge leg up, I agree.

Yep. That home game last week against Brisbane at the Gabba was a huge advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the fixture the way it is who is to say the top team is necessarily the best anyway (might have had a much easier draw than 2nd).
Here's a wacky idea that keeps the GF at the MCG but mitigates a bit of the unfairness.
No home grounds during finals.
both Elimination finals are played in Brisbane
both Qualifying finals are played in Sydney
both Semi Finals are played in Adelaide
both Preliminary finals are played in Perth
Grand Final is played at the MCG
(if a team happens to be at their home ground they can wear the clash strip and use the visitors rooms)
Would suck for crowds but maybe a bit fairer on all teams. Might give the travel industry a boost.

With the fixture the way it is who is to say the top team is necessarily the best anyway (might have had a much easier draw than 2nd).
Here's a wacky idea that keeps the GF at the MCG but mitigates a bit of the unfairness.
No home grounds during finals.
both Elimination finals are played in Brisbane
both Qualifying finals are played in Sydney
both Semi Finals are played in Adelaide
both Preliminary finals are played in Perth
Grand Final is played at the MCG
(if a team happens to be at their home ground they can wear the clash strip and use the visitors rooms)
Would suck for crowds but maybe a bit fairer on all teams. Might give the travel industry a boost.

Problem is if Brisbane finishes 7-8 they get a home final, if Eagles finish 4th but win the semi and make the prelim they get a home final, etc. It should be genuinely neutral venues, i.e. Brisbane (6th) vs. Carlton (7th) at AO etc. It won't happen because as you say, crowds.

As for the top team argument, you can negate that by awarding the grand final of the next season to the premier. It's arguably too late to choose the grand final venue 5 weeks out from it.

It’s a joke. The fact that 40k non-fans miss out every second year is a dumb argument when 5m tune in to watch on tv. Every other sport manages it. Not every champions league game needs to be played at the Nou Camp every year. It’s a joke
So much worry about the MCC members and corporates who might miss out on tickets if it's held at Optus, Gabba, AO, etc. but zero regard for those in states like WA who have to shell out literally thousands between flights, accommodation and tickets if they want the chance to attend.

Even ignoring the clear fact that it's unfair to host the GF at the home ground of a select few teams year after year, it's also unfair on average footy fans who live outside Victoria.

So much worry about the MCC members and corporates who might miss out on tickets if it's held at Optus, Gabba, AO, etc. but zero regard for those in states like WA who have to shell out literally thousands between flights, accommodation and tickets if they want the chance to attend.

Even ignoring the clear fact that it's unfair to host the GF at the home ground of a select few teams year after year, it's also unfair on average footy fans who live outside Victoria.
I was listening to Whateley take callers a week or so back from people bemoaning the fact that their decades long streaks of GF attendances would be coming to an end and I think that for the good of the game, maybe the AFL HQ should worry less about getting the most people to the ground on the day but getting the most overall people able to attend one in their lifetime, preferably with the team they support playing. This might be possible if the GF moves, even with smaller stadiums, in addition fixing up some of the onfield inequality of the day.

Assuming the GF has to be held at MCG until 2057 (I hear contracts can't be altered and that's why we should not bother talking about this; also what's up with this 2058 business?), then tickets for neutral attendees could be significantly inflated to pay for the expenses of traveling supporters so they can claim back some cash for their expenses.

Last edited:
I agree. Have it at the MCG. But get rid of more of the NON supporters and increase opposition supporters at the game. My understanding is that it's only 38% legit supporters, but Melbourne teams will have the advantage of stealing MCC and corporate supporters. Clubs should get at least 50% access.
I think you should mean increase supporters at the game of both clubs in it. That I would agree with until the cows come home.
Anything that reduces corporate tickets and opportunistic theatre goers but increase genuine footy fans going , especially of two clubs in it, has to be the priority in normal seasons.

Or would you rotate the grand final among the states, where Victoria gets it every second year, WA and SA every six years, and NSW and QLD every 12 years. My only objection to rotating would be that it'd be a shame if a grand final between Fremantle and West Coast fell at the SCG, Adelaide vs. Port GF at the Gabba etc., instead of the teams home state.

You could argue the same for two Victorian sides at the MCG, but at the latest, you'd have to determine the GF venue before the first round of finals.
It was an original Victorian football League.
There was always a lease for playing the grand final on the MCG
I thought people knew this.

Or would you rotate the grand final among the states, where Victoria gets it every second year, WA and SA every six years, and NSW and QLD every 12 years. My only objection to rotating would be that it'd be a shame if a grand final between Fremantle and West Coast fell at the SCG, Adelaide vs. Port GF at the Gabba etc., instead of the teams home state.

You could argue the same for two Victorian sides at the MCG, but at the latest, you'd have to determine the GF venue before the first round of finals.
No because the team that finishes top may not make the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion If you could, would you reward the side who finishes top of the ladder as the grand final host?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back