Iffy DT Players - change of roles 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

kuzjuxcan

Rookie
Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi just wanted to start a discussion on Iffy players who you might think might have their DT output increased or decreased due to change or role, depth chart/possie shuffle due to short/long term injuries or retirements ..in 2009..

The most obvious player to talk about that i can think of is.. Joel Corey with his switch to half back flank., that is well documented.. This is a major concern.. as alot of teams will have him as a premium mid... and his change of role could be a blessing for DT owners or very disappointing.. I know he scored 130+ in the NAB match. but hes was been played in the midfield for that match.. But the idea of Corey sweeping down back picking up cheap possies, when geelong is over possessing the ball, seems too good to resist.. But from what ive read from monty is that he reckons that his DT output will be down slightly..So I'm in two minds....

A few other players that come to mind is.. David Mundy with a switch to Midfield looming, Chris Tarrant with 09 role ala Richo.. Joel Selwood/Bryce Gibbs - will they be use as a tagger at some point this year or freed up to roam all year, to do what they do best..

Who will step up to take up roles left by retirements.. eg..S. Crawford/R. Harvey...

I doubt Bryce Gibbs will be used in a purely negating sense whether he plays as a tagger or not. (eg Kane is often used as a tagger but look at the scores he gets.) Gibbs showed last year that he can play a variety of midfield roles and still rack up DT points. His natural game is very much suited for DT unlike someone like Kerr or possibly Reilly (who is a bit iffy - I love the guy and he does heaps with his disposal, and has the potential to become big coming off injury, but he's not a ball magnet a la Knights or Thompson).

I think Heath Shaw is an interesting one - will he play the same role as ever, or will he be employed differently in an attempt to break the tag? This is pretty crucial given that Shaw is easily a backline elite if he can regain any semblance of DT form. I've hardly heard anyone talking about him.

Dale Thomas's much-mooted move into the midfield is one that initially plied me into dropping him into my forward line, but I don't trust Daisy enough. You never know, this might be his breakout year, but I'm not betting on it.

Q Lynch's role is up in the air. He and the club have stated he will play close to goals, but he plays his best footy up the ground where he gets great scores. Will they move him up as the season progresses?

Will Malceski pay midfield or defence? The addition of shaw tells me he will stay back, maybe in a hodge-esque distributor role rather than a rebounding backmen.

Monty has no more authority on how Corey's output will change with a change of role than you or I. He does tremendous work on his site and produces some very good blog posts, but that does not mean his opinion should be valued higher than anyone elses.

I am a huge Corey fan, and I have a feeling Bomber Thompson is too ;), and it is my opinion that even if Corey does get a little more time behind the ball, he is too damaging in contested situations (ranked 5th in AFL in tackles in 08, as well as top 10 in contested possessions and top 10 in clearances) for Geelong to resist giving him time in the centre. I'm not expecting too much of a change of role this year, however if he does play a little more at HB, then that could also be benefitial to his score, with him picking up more cheap marks and kicks in Geelongs high possession game.

As for Selwood, he isn't a tagger. Geelong's number one tagger has been and always will be Cameron Ling. They don't need Selwood to tag and he will be allowed to do his thing again this season.

Joel Corey
David Mundy
Chris Tarrant
Joel Selwood/Bryce Gibbs

Joel Corey is far from an iffy player IMO. Even if he does make that switch to half back for a period of time, it shouldn't harm his scores to much if at all. He'll definitely still run off his man and create if used partly as that attacking HBF'er.

David Mundy is an iffy player. A player which I like to label a 'confidence' player. When the team is going well, and the disposals are getting shared around, he thrives in that environment. When the goings tough, he tends to not back himself as much as good DT'ers should. Taken up a leadership role this year, and has trained a little more as a midfielder. Could be a nice back option if you're looking to buy around that price range.

Chris Tarrant is iffy, but wouldn't be high on many people's radar. Has got an okay engine and all that but seriously, I think his best is behind him. He can run up and down wings all he likes, but primarily he needs to learn how to get that footy.

Joel Selwood is said to be given more TOG this season and has bulked up over the summer, making him appear that he's that 'seasoned' footballer. Should get plenty of cheap disposals running down the wings, loves a contest and thrives for that leather. Could be a good option at his price.

Bryce Gibbs could be used as a tagger once or twice this season, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be for a great period of time. Bannister & Grigg are the primary taggers at Carlton I would imagine. Will get plenty of cheap kicks off half back and won't need to worry about a tag, though will Carrazzo and/or Scotland effect his scores when they make their return/s? That's the question; Has got plenty of upside there's no doubt about that.

Nice thread kuzjuxcan (what 's that worth in scrabble?).

Role changes are something you should always lookout for - these days a switch out of the backline does not always translate to an increase in scores.

A switch forward can equally be a negative for scores, unless it is an Adam Hunter style player who is a negator downback.

A good thing to listen out for is coaches suggesting a young player will see increased mid time. I don't buy it for more established players like Mundy, Fisher and Chapman (not saying they won't score well, but will they really get get mid-time?) unless there was evidence last year (like Gram and Goddard for example), but for the younger brigade there is a DT hint there I think.

I think Heath Shaw is an interesting one - will he play the same role as ever, or will he be employed differently in an attempt to break the tag? This is pretty crucial given that Shaw is easily a backline elite if he can regain any semblance of DT form. I've hardly heard anyone talking about him.

Dale Thomas's much-mooted move into the midfield is one that initially plied me into dropping him into my forward line, but I don't trust Daisy enough. You never know, this might be his breakout year, but I'm not betting on it.

Yeah you right about gibbs i think it doesn't really matter.. one of those kind of players..

Yeah heath shaw is a interesting one, on his day he is easily up there with the elite.. I initially had him locked in.. But teams had too much success with tagging him last year and crushing collingwood, killing their run of half back.. and i would say hes going to get the same kinda treatment this year..

I would expect that collingwood have put in alot of effort in the preseason into shaw, so thats he is better at breaking the tag... I got a feeling he will be successful.. as he should be a man on a mission after what happened last year with his suspension. He will want to come out make amends for his indiscretions :cough "big fat fib" :cough.. Could be a big year for him.. But its could easily just be more of the same..

Didnt know about Thomas's move to midfield.. yeah could be a bargain.. its not really his strength i guess.. i wouldnt buy into him until he can show he can mix it with the best.. and his past DT form ain't that great

What about bock - he played a bit HF last year which was generally negative for his DT scores. Is he likely to do this again? Or is he locked into the backs now?

The return of Hentschel should (in theory) allow Bock to remain in the back half all season. We'll have to wait and see whether or not it eventuates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The return of Hentschel should (in theory) allow Bock to remain in the back half all season. We'll have to wait and see whether or not it eventuates.

Completely agree. Add in Walker to the equation, not to mention Scott Stevens also had some success switching up forward in both the elim final last year and the NAB cup on the weekend. Bock only went HF last year when the Birdman did his knee so hopefully enough planning has been done off season with the above options to allow Bock to stay CHB.

I just can't trust Tarrant but good luck to anyone with the guts to pick him up if he does a Richo.

Brennan is Iffy for mine - Ruck troubles at the Lions could affect him early although I can see their problems being sorted by Rd1. He is about the ultimate utility so who knows what Vossy has planned for him? I am sure his versatility has probably hurt him in the past because he can and does play so many positions.

It is no secret Chris Knights should avg close to 100 if given more TOG. His PPM are fantastic. Injuries aside I certainly can't imagine him losing value and think increased TOG is highly likely.

I am not worried about Corey.

Heath Shaw will continue to have some awesome games therefore will be handy in league and eliminator more than overall... unless he breaks his tag. It is very hard for a HBF like him to break a tag though because they rely on space and being fed possesion more than winning it. McLeod and Gilbee are classic examples who have suffered under heavy tags at HBF over the years. One point to consider: Shaw struggled last year against sides who rely more on tagging and negating to limit their opposition than a set defensive structure or strong backline (see NM, Ess, SK, Carl). Perhaps if more teams go to a Hawks-like zone setup, as some people tip, he may do better? He scored well against Hawks, Geelong, WB. Nobody can really know that answer but something to consider.

I guess this is the thread to ask: Wondering if ROK is moving to the midfield full time?

huh where have you heard that? he was busy at manuka.. 20+ possies.. noticed he was playing up the ground alot.. but hes does that a bit anyway.. might just be NAB though..

I tink O'keefe plays best when he is leading up outside 50. When he does this, he gets alot of kicks (i actually dont know if ive ever seen him handball :p Kick to handball ratio in last 3 years has been 3:0, 2:3, 2:0 - descreasing though), and also kicks a few goals. Has a big engine, but i think this roaming FW role is his niche.

huh where have you heard that? he was busy at manuka.. 20+ possies.. noticed he was playing up the ground alot.. but hes does that a bit anyway.. might just be NAB though..
ROK always plays up the ground. Not uncommon to see him leading up to the HBF.

Would assume he will play that role again this season as their aren't any new Sydney players who can play there.

I tink O'keefe plays best when he is leading up outside 50. When he does this, he gets alot of kicks (i actually dont know if ive ever seen him handball :p Kick to handball ratio in last 3 years has been 3:0, 2:3, 2:0 - descreasing though), and also kicks a few goals. Has a big engine, but i think this roaming FW role is his niche.

Mate, what on earth does that even mean?? May as well be 16261:0. Do you mean 3.0:1, 2.3:1 and 2.0:1?

I personally dont see a whole lot of role changes this year. I think the most interesting one is Mcphee and also Goddard. I think Goddard could become almost a permanant midfielder, whilst i see no room in the forward line for Mcphee. Adcock also has uncertainty about his role in 09, however i dont care whether he plays onball or HBF. He will score well in both positions IMO.

Also what about C.Sylvia is he a permanent midfielder now?? (N.Jones, Mclean, Sylvia) in the guts is what i would like to see.

What about Reilly to deep in defence in NAB?
Is this new?
Maybe to replace Johncock or Mcleod as a linkman, or just a chance to allow others a chance to prove themselves further up the field.

What about Reilly to deep in defence in NAB?
Is this new?
Maybe to replace Johncock or Mcleod as a linkman, or just a chance to allow others a chance to prove themselves further up the field.

Good player to bring up actually. I missed him. He is defiatnly looking set to play alot more defence which is a worry for me. He also played a defensive backline role not a running creating HBF role which i would have been more than happy enough for him to play.

Maybe this will also free up S.Stevens to move forward - he could be a good pick in the backs. Potnetial keeper ? Maybe??

You would think with the amount of injuries to the ADE midfield Reilly (who I have heard rated as their number 2 midfielder, although that is obviously personal opinion) would be able to find a gig there.

I find it very hard to believe that he would be kept deep in defence, but then I guess I'm not the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Iffy DT Players - change of roles 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back